• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide with all the home comforts (1 Viewer)

Garden birds are good subjects to practise your photograthy skills on. Through the summer I was able to set up in the dining room with the patio door open and enjoy all the home comforts. However now the weather has changed, complaints from senior management have been received about cold drafts.
I have tried cleaning the glass and photographing through it but the image quality is reduced.
So I disappeared into my workshop for a couple of hours and came up with what I think is a neat solution.
I cut a strip of 18mm plywood about 250mm wide and long enough to slide up into the top runner then drop down behind the bottom track. This was framed with timber to provide a snug fit into the door jam. A 125mm square hole was cut at a convenient height to pop the scope through and another piece of timber to take the hide clamp was fitted. The door is slid open, the unit poped in and the door slid snug up to it. A little cloth around the remaining gap between the hole and the scope and there you have it, no drafts, nice and warm and all the comforts of home. Roll on winter.B :)

Hi Paul, and a big welcome to birdforum from all the moderators and admin staff. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Very cunning plan by yourself. I'm always warning people from taking shots indoors with a window open during the winter....you'll get heathaze galore. I think you've cracked it though.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy

I think the first modification will be an elasticated sleeve fitted between the hole and scope. This should reduce drafts and heathaze further.

Paul

Ps. When I work out how to do it, I could post an image.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back