• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Tripod Review: Birdwatch magazine (1 Viewer)

black kite 1964

In the latest edition of birdwatch magazine there is a review of Leica's new range (2) of tripods. One thing the review does not mention is that the head is a Gitzo G2180 with a Leica badge. The Tripod is not a Gitzo (source not known). It does not appear to be a "manfrot" either!!

The price of this set up, £539 for the carbon, £385 for the magnesium. I am sure that the Leica badge will impress, but for that money have the real thing and buy a Gitzo!!

:cat::cat:

Last week I tested the new Leica tripods at a Dutch dealer.
I set the Swarovski ATM 80 with zoom and chequed the stability of the system.
General impression was quite negative concerning steadiness.
I went out with a Manfrotto carbon 055 Cx3 and fluid head manfrotto 701 HDV videohead,
which moves smoothly and is a delight to use.
The Gitzo 2180 is quite light , but not stable , the 2380 on the other hand is a good
piece of stability however , but quite heavy as well.

I use a Swaro Hd 65 (angled) on a Gitzo 2180 head on a GT2531LVL tripod. The only fault I have is the thread attaching the scope to the plate, which needs to be tightened on occaision.

With the swaro 65, it is a very stable setup. Gitzo stuff is very well made but expensive.:cat:

The contrast between the mechanical quality of Leissovskis' own products and their rebadged accessories never ceases to amaze me.
Most of the latter are IMO overpriced junk.

John

Just purchased the Leica Trima tripod with 2180 head. Totally impressed. Got it instead of the Manfrotto 055 and 701 which I tested alongside. A very light and stable setup for a scope.
The head allows you to balance the scope exactly, and the movement is so smooth. The counterbalance spring inside means that whenever you let go of the scope, it just stays where you left it pointing. No need to alter any settings! A total joy when birding.
The ease of movement reminds me of my Wimberley head I use with the camera on a Gitzo 5540 and digiscopers will find it excellent.
Don't be negative until you've tried it.

Just purchased the Leica Trima tripod with 2180 head. Totally impressed. Got it instead of the Manfrotto 055 and 701 which I tested alongside. A very light and stable setup for a scope.
The head allows you to balance the scope exactly, and the movement is so smooth. The counterbalance spring inside means that whenever you let go of the scope, it just stays where you left it pointing. No need to alter any settings! A total joy when birding.
The ease of movement reminds me of my Wimberley head I use with the camera on a Gitzo 5540 and digiscopers will find it excellent.
Don't be negative until you've tried it.

Den. The point I am trying to make is that the leica scope is not made by leica. The head is a gitzo and the legs by somebody else.

On the basis of the price (you are paying well over the odds for a badge) you could buy the Gitzo, which is the best!

If you like the tripod thats fine! :cat::cat:

I use a Swaro Hd 65 (angled) on a Gitzo 2180 head on a GT2531LVL tripod. The only fault I have is the thread attaching the scope to the plate, which needs to be tightened on occaision.

With the swaro 65, it is a very stable setup. Gitzo stuff is very well made but expensive.:cat:

I don't suppose you could help me with my dilemma?

I also own a little Swaro and was previously set on the Gitzo G2180, however, after reading the review (see URL below) up against the Swaro FH101 I am somewhat undecided:

http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/tomst...+Review+of+Lightweight+Tripods+and+Heads.html

Your feedback is appreciated...

I don't suppose you could help me with my dilemma?

I also own a little Swaro and was previously set on the Gitzo G2180, however, after reading the review (see URL below) up against the Swaro FH101 I am somewhat undecided:

http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/tomst...+Review+of+Lightweight+Tripods+and+Heads.html

Your feedback is appreciated...

The Gitzo head is very good. The other option is the Manfrotto 128 which is problem free, but no as smooth. The swaro head is a load of overpriced junk which should be avoided! :cat::cat:

Thanks for that. It would appear that your views run contrary to the review, I guess I'll just have to try before I buy.

The issue with the Gitzo G2180 is the included QR plate is too short. It does not allow the freedom of movement needed to properly balance a long lens like a fieldscope. Getting the long QR plate option solves this and the head will provide gimbal-like movements with only the lightest tension on the drag controls. I use a compatible plate from a Manfrotto 503 head.

That said, I have recently acquired a BENRO Travel C-289 tripod kit. I had intended to use my G2180 with it but the included B-1 ballhead has so impressed with its performance and ease of use I may abandon the G2180.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• Kowa Digisco Kit (800x600).jpg
    Kowa Digisco Kit (800x600).jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back