• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting (1 Viewer)

Interesting thread.

I think the underlying problem here is that this IS a bird forum, hence the name. MOST people on here, myself included, see this forum as a place to discuss all things birding. After all, you'd think we all share a common interest - that of WATCHING and PHOTOGRAPHING birds.

The optics threads are, by design, setup to discuss optics for the viewing of birds.

When a new post is started that implies that the poster finds amusement and some sort of sadistic pleasure from shooting birds, it is not too much of a surprise that the reactions start to roll in.

If I live to be 150, I will never understand the mindset of someone that gets their kicks by killing the fauna we share this earth with. Totally mind-boggling. I understand though, that these things do go on. But I don't expect it to be discussed on a birding forum.

The poster asked for information on spotting scopes in the Spotting scope forum what is the problem. Where has the poster said he enjoys shooting birds. He is a target shooter ffs.
Some of the responses here clearly come from the lunatic fringe. Here in Ireland a few "Animal Activists" released thousands of mink from a farm into the wild. So its bad news for the likes of corncrake and other ground nesting birds as this non native species has no natural predators. Too make things worse these farms are rightly banned from next year. But then its act first think later with these morons. I digress,
I cant give any info on the spotting scopes the poster mentioned as I've never seen them but I hope the poster gets the information he wants from the more intelligent posts.
Now back too looking at birds. Ger.

Interesting thread.

I think the underlying problem here is that this IS a bird forum, hence the name. MOST people on here, myself included, see this forum as a place to discuss all things birding. After all, you'd think we all share a common interest - that of WATCHING and PHOTOGRAPHING birds.

The optics threads are, by design, setup to discuss optics for the viewing of birds.

When a new post is started that implies that the poster finds amusement and some sort of sadistic pleasure from shooting birds, it is not too much of a surprise that the reactions start to roll in.

If I live to be 150, I will never understand the mindset of someone that gets their kicks by killing the fauna we share this earth with. Totally mind-boggling. I understand though, that these things do go on. But I don't expect it to be discussed on a birding forum.

Where was their mention of killing birds. Suspect you only read the title, and even then only part of it!

Last edited:
BF is primarily a birding and wildlife forum,however it has evolved over the years to a place where you are able to discuss the different spinoffs from the main subjects.
That is a fact.
Common sense is required if we are to keep some sort of order and FWIW I think we all have to give and take a bit in these situations.
I concur.
BF has become a well known place to discuss optics on the internet, which is due entirely to the members who post about them, and it covers the spectrum from hunting to star watching.
You can see this as an asset, or a risk. Some people will never agree. E.g. I can understand that someone supporting BF (like I do), does not really want non-birders to only 'take' here on the forum and not 'give' anything back.
On the other hand, BF is the only forum open minded enough to tolerate all those people and be an open and broad-minded forum for all that knowledge. It is a safe heaven for optic nerds, and not many hunter/whatever forums will ever have that experience.
We are never ever going to satisfy everyone but experience tells me most of the members on here will try and be as helpful and friendly as they can to people who have asked a question.
I think that should be it.:t:

Would you like to single out which posts you consider originate from a lunatic fringe? Would those simply be the ones that express opinions that differ from yours?

No I wouldnt like too single out posts, People can judge for themselves who the lunatics are. The great thing about opinions is everybody has one so I've no problem with other peoples opinions.
I posted in this thread because the poster was looking for information on spotting scopes in a spotting scope forum and others saw fit too clearly tell the poster too go elsewhere. IMO downright rude, I will not be posting in this thread again as it is of no benefit too the spotting scope forum. Free thinking, Ger.

No I wouldnt like too single out posts, People can judge for themselves who the lunatics are. The great thing about opinions is everybody has one so I've no problem with other peoples opinions.

You have no problem with other people's opinions, but simply term them lunatics ...er, yes.

I would not term anybody on this thread a lunatic, the argument from those that objected to this thread was simply a desire to see a bird forum remain exactly that, a bird forum. Others saw no harm in it being widened to allow persons with interests in shooting, but no stated interest in birds, to start posts. Opinions on either side, no lunatics apparent.

Where was their mention of killing birds. Suspect you only read the title, and even then only part of it!

I concede that I have been guilty of skim-reading this thread, and for that I apologise to the OP. As soon as I see mention of shooting on a bird forum, I immediately come up with my own conclusions.

I had no idea what target shooting was, speaking as someone who has never, and probably will never, pick up a gun (do the ones at the fairground count?). I wrongly assumed the "targets" were birds, as this is, after all, a bird forum. Why else, I thought, would it be posted on here?

I hope the OP gets the information he was seeking.

I still feel however that any discussion of hunting, be it in relation to optics or otherwise, is not for these forums.

You have no problem with other people's opinions, but simply term them lunatics ...er, yes.

I would not term anybody on this thread a lunatic, the argument from those that objected to this thread was simply a desire to see a bird forum remain exactly that, a bird forum. Others saw no harm in it being widened to allow persons with interests in shooting, but no stated interest in birds, to start posts. Opinions on either side, no lunatics apparent.

Thats correct I've no problem with other peoples opinions as long as they dont try and impose their opinions on me.
The responses had nothing to do with a desire to see a bird forum remain a bird forum and all to do with the word shooting. Have the people who have a desire too see the birdforum remain a birdforum opposed all the other sub forums that have nothing to do with birds mmm probably not. If the op had posted about a scope too look at planes,ships or Badgers would he have been told too go elsewhere I think not.
I've seen a few ignorant responses on BF whether its a bird id question or looking for information on a spotting scope on wait for it a Spotting scope forum. If people had a problem with the op question report it too the mods otherwise the next thing that will be happening will be people looking for bans on things they disagree with and thats the day I say goodbye.
As I said before I cant comment on the scopes the op was looking at but I hope he does get the information he wants from more polite and helpful forums.

The responses had nothing to do with a desire to see a bird forum remain a bird forum and all to do with the word shooting.

I personally saw it more as a desire to keep it a bird and wildlife forum, as it should be, but even if as you say, that makes them lunatics? Shucks, the world truly is full of lunatics.

PS you said you wouldn't be posting on this thread again :-O

PS you said you wouldn't be posting on this thread again :-O[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know even my wife tells me I never shut up;)

I promised myself I wouldn´t get involved in this thread. But me and myself often break our promises to each other.

As a former target-shooter (early eighties, college days - good shot too, caused incredible injury and suffering to many a paper-bullseye), I´m at a loss as to understand what´s gone on here. This is a scope-forum within a birdforum. Many hunters frequent these threads. As do astronomers. They don´t get short shrift for not being birders, do they? Many others combine multiple interests (yes, it does happen!).

As regards straying from the topic of birds, it´s happened before (mea culpa). One instance in which it frequently strays is when cats are mentioned in relation to birds. Say what you will about cats (and I´ve reached a philosophical acceptance of their existence), they kill far more songbirds, probably, than hunters do worldwide.

Target-shooters don´t harm birds, at all. Period. Anyway, my two euro´s worth to the OP: I know two shooters (yes, "some of my best friends are hunters!":eek!:). One has a Zeiss Diascope, the other has a Swarovski HD65. Both are very happy with their choices, but neither are as obsessive about optics as I. These guys shoot deer, not targets, so I reckon their requirements are more stringent than yours (you won´t be shooting in low-light, I imagine, and field-of-view isn´t an issue). A good mid-price non-ED scope from Opticron or Kowa would more than serve your needs, but I think a nice zoom eyepiece would benefit - sometimes you want to home in on that target just to check closely on the "grouping", no?

It's probably all a wind-up anyhow - the original poster has not been back to the forum to check updates since his opening post, so he has not had the pleasure of our fun discussions since ;)

Maybe we can just delete all back to post one and all go back to sleep :t:

the original poster has not been back to the forum to check updates since his opening post

Can you blame him!?!? And you don't need to be logged in to read through the forums.

I've owned an air rifle and shot at targets too... am I not supposed to be on here either?

I think if anyone knows what's best for this site it's the guy who set it all up and he clearly hasn't got a problem with these kinds of questions so why don't we all just drop it and leave it there eh, any posts which are deemed to not be in keeping with Birdforum are swiftly deleted by the mods anyway. So I hope we don't go through all this again with the next unfortunate soul to come along asking a perfectly reasonable question.

It's probably all a wind-up anyhow - the original poster has not been back to the forum to check updates since his opening post, so he has not had the pleasure of our fun discussions since ;)

Maybe we can just delete all back to post one and all go back to sleep :t:

Or he saw the response he got and bailed ... I don't think it was a wind up.

What do You guys mean by a Wind-Up....?......That Maybe the guy owns the web site that He linked to his post?....I mean....the guy is looking for a scope,and He has not look for any other choices but the ones sold in that surplus web page.?.Not other optics web sites?...why did He choose that site to look for optics?..He is obviously keen in internet research for He did look through LOTS of FORUMS UNTIL he found this one,then He thought that this was the place to ask..But instead of using the expertise that inspired Him to post here, to Ask for quality optics at a given price, He sent Us to the Surplus company,to see the three crappy scopes that they sell there,..and some other goodies.....Donno...

Last edited:
If it was a wind up he certainly achieved his aim. A number of individuals got wound up. I feel there would be less chance of future wind ups if the question had been answered politely with out showing anyone was wound up.

For those trying to wind the forum up there is no interest if nobody shows they are getting annoyed/upset.

I recognize that the original poster and many/most of the follow-up posts were not from the USA so my comments may/would not reply.

For many decades there has been a federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition. The dollars collected from Oct 2008- Sept 2009 was 452 million.

Approximately 75% of the collected funds are apportioned to the states for the purpose of acquisition and improvement of wildlife habitat, introduction of wildlife into suitable habitat, research into wildlife problems, surveys and inventories of wildlife problems, acquisition and development of access facilities for public use, and hunter education programs, including construction and operation of public target ranges.

Additionally Duck Unlimited since its inception in 1937 has raised 2.3 billion dollars and conserved over 11 million acres of habitat.

Other dollars to support habitat come from hunting licenses and duck stamps.

As birders we take advantage of this habitat to engage in birding. Yet, I wonder how many birders contribute to habitat conservation.

Note: I quit hunting over 40 years ago, still avidly fish and bird and often combine the two which are a major part of my life.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back