• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Much better views of Small Skipper, yesterday, at Gramboro’.

Also, Mrs Brimstone flaunted herself shamelessly in the car park at Holt Country Park.

And, for those who 'just can't get enough', another shot (in similar Mode) of the SwF.

Attachments

• 002pse2.jpg
    002pse2.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 044pse.jpg
    044pse.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 207pse.jpg
    207pse.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 86
That's really pleasing. Cheers for the confirmation.

Kieran

Nice work, always nice to get that first of the year confirmed.

Shed loads of Small Tortoiseshell on the wing over the last couple of days. I hope others are noticing an increase too? Meadow Browns and Ringlets not far behind in terms of most prevalent. I recorded my first Large Skippers of the year, yesterday at Wheatfen and again today at Rockland. A single Swallowtail gave us a brief fly-past at Wheatfen, along Smee Loke.

Cheers,
Jim.

Nice work, always nice to get that first of the year confirmed.

Shed loads of Small Tortoiseshell on the wing over the last couple of days. I hope others are noticing an increase too? Meadow Browns and Ringlets not far behind in terms of most prevalent. I recorded my first Large Skippers of the year, yesterday at Wheatfen and again today at Rockland. A single Swallowtail gave us a brief fly-past at Wheatfen, along Smee Loke.

Cheers,
Jim.

Yes - there seems to be lots of Small Tortoiseshell at the moment. I saw 35 or more in a small area near Costessey yesterday. Also Small and Large Skippers, Ringlet, Meadow Brown and Brimstone.

Cheers
Mike

Silver wash' still present at at c16.30 this afternoon, showing well in the same spot as per John's directions.

No sign of any White Admiral, but plenty of Ringlet on the wing.

Kieran

Hawk-eyed me, with a jumbo haul

I haven’t been fortunate to visit moth trappers when they’ve had some good catches- until this morning. (Thanks, Martin.)

It was quite a thrilling experience (“He’s like a kid with a new toy!” was one description of me), with some beautiful creatures on view.

A selection of images is below. They’re not always the easiest things to photo (I hope to get better at it) and, disturbingly, have an occasional tendency to fly orf. (Those who are familiar with moth trapping, please ignore.)

From the left, the Hawkmoths are Elephant, Small Elephant, Poplar, Privet and Lime.

Attachments

• 002pse Elephant.jpg
    002pse Elephant.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 008pse Small Elephant.jpg
    008pse Small Elephant.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 061pse Poplar.jpg
    061pse Poplar.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 135pse Privet.jpg
    135pse Privet.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 68
  • 149pse Lime.jpg
    149pse Lime.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 72
Red Admiral

Saw first red admiral of year today in Earlham but despite being fresh emerged it could not fly properly so possibly injured or diseased; pity.

The Silver-washed Fritillary continues at Holt Country Park, in the same location as shown in #1319.

It spent most of its time while I was there in the brambles on the west of the path.

Here, I was able to do a Lurcio (ensconced in the bushes): it came far too close to focus (0.5m), several times, oblivious of my presence.

Attachments

• 249pse.jpg
    249pse.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 138pse.jpg
    138pse.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 70
I've had a report of two silver-washed males at holt today. Also White-letter hairstreaks, essex skipper and several white admirals from around the county. And a report of 300+ small tortoiseshells in a field between cantley and reedham.

In about a fortnight we should get a healthy emergence of peacocks to join the small torts.

And a report of 300+ small tortoiseshells in a field between cantley and reedham.

Hundreds of Small torts in the meadows at Strumpshaw yesterday, each thistle had 'swarms' of them nectaring, quite a sight!

Swallowtails still just holding on in the sunny weather, still enough about to almost guarantee sightings in good conditions over the next few days... (disclaimer attached!)

Very large numbers of Norfolk Hawkers emerged now too (sorry wrong thread!) but while I'm there Orchids in the meadow are looking good too.

Moths looking up too- 85 species in two mv's on Saturday night, including the first dentated pug of the year.

I've just had a report and photos of a silver-washed in a wood just north of Cranwich. This suggests that as well as the North-east population, we may have a population now settling in the brecks (probably from the Suffolk colonies). Worth checking any woodland with large open rides.

(Stop the) Norfolk tick (!)

No, not a new butterfly/moth, but the more unpleasant sort.

My local hospital (Cromer) told me there were currently three or four cases each day, from locales not just sylvan- even the dunes.

I post this, so that members are aware and can both take precautions (http://stopthetick.co.uk/stop-the-tick/) and check themselves, after woodland ramblings.

I'll second that. There's been some really nasty cases lately of people being really ill from Lyme's desease. Do take care when you're out and about.

ob butterfly: Even more white letter and white admiral reports in the mailbox tonight. This weekend is a really good time to be wandering around deciduous woodland.

Pulled up in a layby in Croxton today and almost certain I had a White Admiral fly past, shame it didn't linger. Hope the Silver-washed is still performing at Holt, hope to get there this weekend...

Hope the Silver-washed is still performing at Holt

Rangers report 2 males still present. I only saw one yesterday- which, on fleeting views (hot, actively feeding), appeared different from the one I'd seen before.

They've also had White Admirals, coming down to their watering cans !

Perhaps this is a new butterfly attracting technique. I know I've successfully used 'natural liquid products' in the jungle , too- without plastic containers.

Is this a White Point?

(I favoured White Point over Clay - but wanted confirmation given its status)

Trapped at Light Holme Next the Sea Monday 8th July

moth.jpg

1 Silver-washed Fritillary by the pond (at bottom of John's map) at Holt CP and another Silver-washed Fritillary at the location marked on John's map this morning. Also 4 Woodlark at Holt Lowes.

Sue

Holt Country Park

They (definitely two, as we saw both together) were being crafty, today, and playing hard to get. We were told they’d been seen by the pond and the Hempstead Road car park: no sign at the former.

In fact, they seemed to have had a bit of a siesta and flew up into a tree to roost, as we watched. They were in the ‘usual spot’, with a couple of White Admirals to add interest.

Attachments

• 243pse.jpg
    243pse.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 406pse.jpg
    406pse.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 285pse.jpg
    285pse.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 64
Silver Washed Fritillary out at Holt CP this afternoon, just checking piccie's and one is a female so that means there should be at least three - hopefully making more for next year!

Attachments

• P1070607 - Copy.jpg
    P1070607 - Copy.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back