• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32 EL Field Pro vs Zeiss Victory T* FL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

StressBaller

Price is what you pay, Value is what you get - War
Does anyone have any direct experience with these two binos? I’ve narrowed my Swaro option down to EL 8x32, but I can’t find a place in Minnesota that has the Zeiss 8x32s in stock.
From what I can tell based off YouTube vids and my demo of the EL here’s my pro/con list of Swaro/Zeiss:

EL Pros: Ergonomics are fantastic; feels built for my hand. I was torn between 8.5x42 and these, but the 42s are pretty big and the thumb indent is too far down the barrel in my opinion. I couldn’t tell a difference in 8 vs 8.5.
Compact, weight, and feel won me over.

EL Cons: I couldn’t find any.

Based off Zeiss 8x32 pictures and videos:
Pros: on paper it appears to be “better” than Swaro.

Cons: Ugly. Not a fan of the objective caps being one piece. Looks cheap.

Can someone enlighten me with their opinion on both of these binos?

Erick

Last edited:
Hi Erick
Whatever you do don't decide based on objective caps, you can get all kinds on the aftermarket. My FL 8x32 has been to the south of France and as far north and west as the Outer Hebrides. It has been splashed with sea water times without number, inundated with rain, broiled in the sun, laid on by me many times while taking photos of flowers, got sheep poo on it (there are many sheep in Scotland and they leave deposits everywhere), covered in seaweed and probably more. They are still bright, sharp, light and handy. And tough. You would never know how abused they have been by looking at them. Some people have encountered a glare problem with the Swaro 32 (search these pages) and while I can't confirm that I can say that I don't have that issue with the FL. Many other folks swear by the EL 32 although some of them do remark it is on the large side for a 32.

Lee

Does anyone have any direct experience with these two binos? ...
...Can someone enlighten me with their opinion on both of these binos?

The optical personalities of these two bins are _extremely_ different, as are their handling qualities. I think you should find a way to try them both, _or_ since you know you really like the SV, just get it and be happy!

--AP

My advice is what Alexis said, they are different, and what Lee has confirmed by use/ownership. I also have the FL and IMO it is the best 8X32 in a very portable package, but try before you buy, someone is always amazed why others choose a specific brand/format, but it is your face (ergonomics), and eyes that matter, not mine.

Andy W.

I don't know you are saying you like the SV 8x32 so maybe you should just get it. I had both binoculars and even though the 8x32 SV showed some glare to me I personally preferred it over the 8x32 FL. I liked the ergonomics of the SV better than the FL because it fit my hands better with the narrower tubes. Also, I liked the sharper edges of the SV compared to the FL's less sharp edges. It would be best if you could try both somewhere if you could though. They are both excellent binoculars. It becomes a personal choice. Good luck!

:eat:
My advice is what Alexis said, they are different, and what Lee has confirmed by use/ownership. I also have the FL and IMO it is the best 8X32 in a very portable package, but try before you buy, someone is always amazed why others choose a specific brand/format, but it is your face (ergonomics), and eyes that matter, not mine.

Andy W.

:t: :t:

The optical personalities of these two bins are _extremely_ different, as are their handling qualities. I think you should find a way to try them both, _or_ since you know you really like the SV, just get it and be happy!

--AP

I don't know you are saying you like the SV 8x32 so maybe you should just get it. I had both binoculars and even though the 8x32 SV showed some glare to me I personally preferred it over the 8x32 FL. I liked the ergonomics of the SV better than the FL because it fit my hands better with the narrower tubes. Also, I liked the sharper edges of the SV compared to the FL's less sharp edges. It would be best if you could try both somewhere if you could though. They are both excellent binoculars. It becomes a personal choice. Good luck!

^^^^^^This...

The FL 8X32 is one binocular I have REALLY tired to like. I know that a lot of folks here really like it. I really like the FL 7X42 and 10X42 and I have tried REALLY hard for the FL 8X32 to be my favorite binocular. I find that if my eye is exactly centered it gives a really nice image. If not, it lags behind some other I have, namely a Meopta/Cabelas Euro HD 8X32 and a Conquest HD 8X32. So in the field the FL 8X32 and I just don't get along.

The SV 8X32 is pretty sharp from edge to edge. It's handling properties are the best there is IMO. It's VERY bright. For a birding binocular it's one of the best IMO.

I've tried a number of 8X32s and the SV 8X32 works for me. The Meopta and Conquest HD are nice performers as well!

Attachments

• DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,405
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,746
I agree with Chuck on this one. I've had both for years and much prefer the SV. The FL has a fussy eye placement, soft edges with astigmatism, etc. I just never could get used to it. The SV has that 'slap 'em on your face view' that makes a big difference in actual use.

I spent much of the past week with a big scope in one hand and the little SV in the other. Even with a 4mm exit, I can one hand it fairly well. FL not so much. The oft-discussed glare problem with the SV is clearly the byproduct of a design decision regarding 'ease of view' and not a design flaw. And it's not so big a problem after all, in everyday use.

Ergonomics goes to the SV as well, although that's generally not an issue for me.

Put it this way, my FL rarely sees the light of day. But try to get them side by side. There's no accounting for taste, as they say. ;)

I've owned both the 8x32 Swarovision and 8x32 Zeiss T*FL at the same times.

I liked the SV, but found it had the worst glare issues of literally any binocular I've ever owned. I could find glare any day, any weather condition; ultimately, this led to me selling the binocular.

I found the FL superior in this aspect, as well as brighter with almost no CA. I did not find the fuzzy edges mentioned above, although it wasn't edge to edge sharp as with the SV. The SV also had easier eye placement, but still not as easy as the 42mm models I've owned.

I think the human condition for some is that once they have had something for a while, they feel the need for something different, something new, for others well.... they are out enjoying the view.

Andy W.

I’ve only compared them side by side inside the store. I currently own the FL 8x32. My one complaint about thenFL is how it handles glare/flare. Facing the the direction of the sunlight or if snow is on the ground I get a noticeable degree of flaring inside. Purple or rainbow along bottom border of the view and washing out of image from light. But as others have said, it is a bin you want to like. Great ergos, weight, brightness and sharp images at center. Personally I like the Swaro better but I got a good deal on the Zeiss I could not pass up.

Sv

I've owned both the 8x32 Swarovision and 8x32 Zeiss T*FL at the same times.

I liked the SV, but found it had the worst glare issues of literally any binocular I've ever owned. I could find glare any day, any weather condition; ultimately, this led to me selling the binocular.

I found the FL superior in this aspect, as well as brighter with almost no CA. I did not find the fuzzy edges mentioned above, although it wasn't edge to edge sharp as with the SV. The SV also had easier eye placement, but still not as easy as the 42mm models I've owned.

That is why I did not buy the SV 8X32, same reason. In 8X32 I use the HG/LX, FL T, the EDG, SE and EII. For me, none of these have glare problems, additionally they also fit my facial features (eye-sockets) well so no leakage. Nowadays I tend to prefer use of the 8X42/10X format most of the time.

Andy W.

Glare must be more of personal characteristic of how one interacts with the binocular than I thought. One person see's glare and another person doesn't or it doesn't bother him. It is interesting and hard to understand how and why it affects different people the way it does. The SV 8x32, FL 8x32 and the EDG II 8x32 are probably the three best 32mm's made so it just goes to show you when you get to the alpha level it is personal tastes that is the deciding factor on which binocular to buy.

Last edited:
Glare must be more of personal characteristic of how one interacts with the binocular than I thought. One person see's glare and another person doesn't or it doesn't bother him. It is interesting and hard to understand how and why it affects different people the way it does. The SV 8x32, FL 8x32 and the EDG II 8x32 are probably the three best 32mm's made so it just goes to show you when you get to the alpha level it is personal tastes that is the deciding factor on which binocular to buy.

I'll buy that! :t:

:t::t::t:

Lee

Not just alpha level either, Dennis: i remember your post about the 'glare monster' Nikon M7 8x30. I went out subsequently in many conditions trying to make it happen, and never really have. Might be technique, might be luck, might be face-shape, might be eye cups - i just don't know. However, we have the FL and the Swaro, with claims for both sides on the flare/glare issue. For me, the killer with the EL was CA, while the Zeiss is the closest to none you'll probably find.

Glare is just like any other characteristic. Take color for example; some people love the color reproduction of Leica, which I find somewhat distracting and unrealistic. Chromatic aberration bothers some, but not others. Some people care about edge distortion, it couldn't bother others the least.

This is why most binocular reviews are subjective; there are a few objective measurements you can take, but overall performance and ease/enjoyment of use are very personal.

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back