• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Western Africa - 2nd ed (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Are there sufficient changes in the second edition, Borrow and Demey to warrant buying it if you have the first edition?

Was the 2nd ed, only ever published as a soft cover?

A

Last edited:
I bought the 2nd edition because my 1st edition hard cover was a bit (read: much!) too heavy to carry.
* Text and maps next to the plates is an advantage.
* Something I had not noticed, but was immediately apparent on opening the book to answer your question: quite a few new illustrations or replacements of old ones. They are (still?) printed a bit too dark at times.
* The text does not seem to be updated much, but I did not look closely.

I bought the 2nd edition because my 1st edition hard cover was a bit (read: much!) too heavy to carry.
* Text and maps next to the plates is an advantage.
* Something I had not noticed, but was immediately apparent on opening the book to answer your question: quite a few new illustrations or replacements of old ones. They are (still?) printed a bit too dark at times.
* The text does not seem to be updated much, but I did not look closely.

Many thanks,
any taxonomic updates or changes that you are aware of?

A

A rapid assessment at least showed some splits in island forms (São Tomé & Príncipe, Cape Verde kestrels), West African Wattle-eye. Cisticolas look to have been treated more conservatively; Gosling's Bunting also still lumped.

A rapid assessment at least showed some splits in island forms (São Tomé & Príncipe, Cape Verde kestrels), West African Wattle-eye. Cisticolas look to have been treated more conservatively; Gosling's Bunting also still lumped.

Thanks Xeno

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back