Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Need advice for Travel Scope and Tripod

Old Saturday 24th March 2018, 08:21   #51
PJPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.
I've ordered one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vortex-Fl...-/322847055701
Vortex-Flip-Cap-Optic-Cover-size 7.

It's suppose to fit 55-61mm. It cost 12 with free postage but it could take until the 9th April to arrive. I'll let you know if it's any good.
Old Saturday 24th March 2018, 09:50   #52
mooreorless

I did this with my Nikon ED 50 to help protect some.

https://www.birdforum.net/attachment...5&d=1515876644
Old Saturday 24th March 2018, 19:59   #53
bioscope

I'm using the MM4-60 as a light setup vs. my DiaScope85 (which has a better low-light performance). I've written my decision detailed in some pages of the Juelich-Forum (in german). Now my MM4 is way more in action, than the DiaScope, but the Zeiss has it's own watching-conditions. In former times I've got a Nikon 50ED with the 13-40x, and it had a very good optic, but the MM4 is now my favourite.
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519

happy reading & decision
Manfred
Old Sunday 25th March 2018, 15:26   #54
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPro View Post
I did look at that thread but I doubt whether I have the expertise or tools to produce the threaded tube....but an interesting read anyway.
Last I knew, the author of that thread still had several adapters to give away. He shipped several to Europe.

--AP
Old Monday 26th March 2018, 19:58   #55
PJPro

The 13-40x eye piece has arrived. Had a quick go in the house and in the back garden. The scope does not disappoint. :) The view is bright and crisp. The FoV is fairly narrow when fully zoomed in but at 13x it is relatively easy to find the subject. Overall I'm pleased and, more importantly, so is my wife.

The objective lens cover has yet to arrive but I'm not expecting it until the 9th Apr (at the latest).
Old Tuesday 27th March 2018, 01:00   #56
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...The objective lens cover has yet to arrive but I'm not expecting it until the 9th Apr (at the latest).
Glad to know you like the scope! When your objective cover comes, I suggest putting it on upside down so it flips down rather than up.

--AP
Old Thursday 29th March 2018, 22:09   #57
PJPro

Tried to buy a natty accessory for the ED50 today but got outbid :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Fie...4AAOSw90xas5S7

I went to 500, which I thought was a reasonable price to pay for the ED82-A, but it actually went for 640.

Is 640 a good price (for the buyer) for a used ED82-A?
Old Friday 30th March 2018, 10:55   #58
steppsch

My used Nikon ED50A arrived yesterday and so far i am also really happy with it. It is sharp, lightweight and den Zoom (13-40 MCII) is not too narrow in my eyes.

But i have one question. When I look through the spotting scope, I have the feeling that the image is not completely horizontal, but a little crooked, see the attached pictures.

Pic 1 shows a photo which i took while handholding my smartphone a bit inclined (about 3 degrees).
Pic 2 shows a photo which i took while handholding my smartphone completely horizontal.

Is this phenomenon normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2-min.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	657675  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1-min.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	657676  
Old Friday 30th March 2018, 13:50   #59
Alexis Powell

I've never noticed it in my ED50, but then, I lean to the left myself anyway :)
As long as you have no unexpected asymmetries in sharpness across the field, I wouldn't be concerned.

--AP
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 15:44   #60
steppsch

Thanks!
I've been testing it for two days now and do not notice this phenomenon any more. My summary so far: Wonderful scope :-)
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 19:46   #61
PJPro

Quote:
I've ordered one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vortex-Fl...-/322847055701
Vortex-Flip-Cap-Optic-Cover-size 7.

It's suppose to fit 55-61mm. It cost 12 with free postage but it could take until the 9th April to arrive. I'll let you know if it's any good.
The lens cap has arrived. The Size 7 is a nice tight fit on the end cap and provides a wide band of rubber to protect the end of the scope. I feel it is a good addition to the scope.
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 20:11   #62
PJPro

My wife and I were out and about with the scope today at Key Haven / Pennington Marshes. It is true to say that the FoV is rather narrow but it still still provides a nice sharp view. It was fairly windy, so on higher magnifications one had to hold the tripod steady to prevent wobble of the view due to the lightness of the set up. It's also true to say the depth of field was fairly shallow at higher magnifications.

However, my wife and I both enjoyed using the scope. It enabled us to get good views of Peregrine and Marsh Harrier which we had been previously unable to see in any detail with our 8x binoculars. We also saw a Red-necked Grebe but that really was at the limit of the scope and we had to rely on someone with a bigger scope for the identification.

We tried taking some photos with a mobile phone and, while not completely sharp, they were certainly good enough to use to for identification purposes.

All in all, we are pleased with the scope but I think we recognise that for places like Pennington, it would probably be worth hefting the extra weight of a larger set up to cover the distances to the birds. For us, the ED50 is best suited to sticking in the bag when you feel you might need a scope but aren't certain or when visiting sites when the distance to the birds isn't so great.

The scope and tripod were very light and easy to carry. It was no trouble to shoulder them.
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 10:48   #63
PJPro

Here's a couple of snaps taken through the scope using a mobile phone. These are a bit wobbly....more to do with hand holding of the phone rather than the scope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180331_Gadwall-cropped.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	947.2 KB
ID:	658000  Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_Teal-cropped.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	869.6 KB
ID:	658001  
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2018, 20:08   #64
steppsch

Quote:
Here's a couple of snaps taken through the scope using a mobile phone. These are a bit wobbly....more to do with hand holding of the phone rather than the scope.
The quality of your snaps is quite okay in my eyes. Maybe the pics will be more sharp if you use an adapter.

Although digiscoping is not the main use why i bought the Nikon ED50, i took also some photos with my old Motorola Moto G2 smartphone (handholding) through the scope (see the attached snaps) and created a short digiscoping video of a nuthatch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXobHmXrro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180403_165742367 (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	658152  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_101603381.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	658153  
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2018, 22:36   #65
PJPro

Yes, your photos and videos are much better than mine :) You mentioned an adapter....which do you use?
Old Wednesday 4th April 2018, 15:04   #66
steppsch

Quote:
Yes, your photos and videos are much better than mine :) You mentioned an adapter....which do you use?
I actually do not think that my photos are better than yours. My photos are probably less cropped than yours which just gives the impression that mine are sharper :-)

Additionally i do not use an adapter, i took the photos while just "handholding" the smartphone to the eye piece but maybe it is easier to get still better results when using an adaptor (for example a phonescope adapter or something like that).

MS
Old Thursday 5th April 2018, 22:32   #67
PJPro

Those phonescope adaptors aren't especially cheap given the price of stuff listed on ebay which, on the face of it, look to be exactly the same.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but effective phone adaptor for the ED50 please?
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 12:55   #68
14Goudvink

On Youtube you can find instruction videos to make your own, very cheap and easy...
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 13:46   #69
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
On Youtube you can find instruction videos to make your own, very cheap and easy...
Sounds interesting ... could you please share a link? I just had a quick look, and my search results were dominated by either do-it-yourself camera adapters, or commercial phone adapters, but no DIY phone adapters unfortunately.

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 20:42   #70
14Goudvink

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGA0ptUJaCk

I searched for 'phonescoping adapter'.

George
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 14:41   #71
Hauksen

Hi George,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGA0ptUJaCk

I searched for 'phonescoping adapter'.
Ah, thanks! I used "digiscoping smartphone" or something, that didn't work so well.

I like the idea of recycling a plastic bottle into an adapter! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 22:11   #72
PJPro

It looks fun to make an adaptor but I decided to buy the GoSky adaptor from Amazon (and take a hit for the team)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spotting-Sc...J4Q09VD5X17V8Y

It should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. There are a number of reviews on YouTube such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spotting-Sc...J4Q09VD5X17V8Y
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 23:06   #73
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
It looks fun to make an adaptor but I decided to buy the GoSky adaptor from Amazon (and take a hit for the team)
I'm looking forward to hear about your experience!

What I'd find interesting:

- How well does it work in bright surroundings? (Stray light might enter the space between eyepiece and phone lens.)
- How easy is it to adjust the adapter using the central screw for both length and lateral offset?
- How well does the adapter keep the adjustment?

I'm merely curious since I'm 3D printing my own adapters. The GoSky certainly looks like a very adaptive solution at a very reasonable price!

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 23:20   #74
PJPro

I can answer those question straight away (based on the reviews on YouTube)

Q1 - Stray light can be a problem...cup with hand?
Q2 - It's hard to set up...practise makes perfect?
Q3 - It doesn't hold its adjustment too well...refer to Q2

That said, it is cheap but (apparently) well made. I went for the bigger, metal verson (16.99). I thought it was worth a punt.
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 16:32   #75
steppsch

Hi PJ,

did your adapter already arrive and can you recommend it?

MS
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: