• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax SP DCF vs XP DCF (1 Viewer)

trealawboy

Hello

Does anyone know anything about the Pentax XP DCFs?

The SP DCFs have had some nice reviews, e.g. BVD, Optics4Birding, though there has been some criticism of their FoV on this forum.

I've spotted a price for the XP DCFs and they are more expensive than the SPs, (but still very reasonable compared to the usual suspects) and claim to have a very wide FoV. Does anyone have any experience with these bins?

No experience with them, but I think here in the US they are cheaper than the SPs. These higher end Pentax bins seem to have a very wide price range so it would pay to shop around, at least in the US.

trealawboy said:
Hello

Does anyone know anything about the Pentax XP DCFs?

The SP DCFs have had some nice reviews, e.g. BVD, Optics4Birding, though there has been some criticism of their FoV on this forum.

I've spotted a price for the XP DCFs and they are more expensive than the SPs, (but still very reasonable compared to the usual suspects) and claim to have a very wide FoV. Does anyone have any experience with these bins?

Hi trealawboy,
There was a large bino-test (a large selection of binos, but not very thorough) in a Finnish camera-magazine last spring. The Pentax XP was rated optically slightly better than the SP although the XP had IMO a very narrow afov (50.4° vs. 58° of the SP). The XP is less expensive, very light and compact, has an excellent eye-relief (20mm) and close focus (1m measured). The Opticron Verano 8x32 and Kamakura Flat MC 8x32 were optically at about the same level (resolution, transmission, flare, internal reflections).

I have never viewed through the XPs but the short objective tubes indicate very small focal lengths, which *may* increase chromatic and other aberrations. However, the Pentaxes were "good" according to the test - only Swaro SLCs, ELs and Nikon HGs were better (no Leica or Zeiss binos were in this test).
HTH.

Ilkka

Trealawboy I have a pair of 8x33 XPs, i got these from Pentax as an upgrade for a pr of 8x28sthat i originally brought and sent back because of flare and as Pentax did'nt have a replacement they upgraded me to XPs.Likes: very compact must be one of the smallest on the market,weight only 500 grams.appear very well made these are very comfortable to use very smooth focussing wheel.Dislikes:these are very fast focus to fast for me even the slightest turn of the wheel takes it out of focus,Opically i dont think these are the sharpest binoculars at this price,what most on this site call the sweet spot only covers about 40% of the image which is sharp the rest then tails of to the edge.I cant seem to find any shops locally that sell XPs so that i can compare them to mine i may just have another naff pair.Its a shame that the sweet spot is'nt 60-70% as these would then be a very good binoculars.The SPs get good revues on the American birding sites but i've not seen any on the XPs.The XPs have a lower retail price than the SPs. Amerzon prices are very good for Pentax but you cant send them back if you dont like them.

I also use 8x42 Leica ULtravids so may be a bit to critical of the Pentax.But as others always recommend on this site try before you buy if possible.

Pentax DCF SP

Recently purchased 8x43 from 17th Street Photo Supply in NYC. $450 US less $50 manufacturer rebate. Couldn't be happier. Looked around for a long time before the purchase and there simply is no comparable value.

Pentax into depression discounting

Swaro has some discounting going on, but looks like the Pentax DCF SP line is really selling for some steep discounts here and there. Other companies seem to be holding firm: Minox, Leupold. This is a good time to buy Pentax. Once the inventory is gone they won't be selling at these prices again.

regards
Greg N

Returning on Amazon

.The XPs have a lower retail price than the SPs. Amerzon prices are very good for Pentax but you cant send them back if you dont like them.

I think the Amerzon is a typo for Amazon? Anyhow I have returned binos to an Amazon vendor but there was admittedly a manufacturing defect. You have to look at your record of recent activity and then press the "return this item' button. The specific return policy for your specific vendor will be there.

I'm not sure if it's possible to figure out the return policy before buying, but I think so. I seem to recall a button for return policy down at the bottom of the page.

regards
Greg N

You're right the link must have gotten coughed up on a google search using the site specific command. "pentax site:birdforum.net" or something like that.

I bought a pair of 10x50s SP DFC for $385 shipped when that stuff is going on I think either the company is going out of business or they're trying to unload inventory fast, often times because the economy is taking a nose dive. Other reasons might be that they're going to introduce a new product and what to clear these out. That price doesn't seem to have "held" but I still see 'em on ebay for $400 shipped which is a very good price. When I looked into these bins about 8 months ago all I could find were prices over $500. Maybe I've gotten better at digging but I don't think so. The 10x43 DCF SPs are selling in the mid four hundreds.

The usual vendors (binoculars.com, EO, etc.) don't come even close. So I think someone is dumping inventory into the market.

To me these look like very good prices all the reviews and things I've seen have much higher street prices. The Pentax EDs OTOH are not discounting much, Vortex is not discounting at all from what I see. Other brands are discounting but not as aggressively e.g. Swaro. Leupold...can't really tell with Leupold, but I think the discounting is less aggressive relative to usual prices than Pentax.

regards
Greg N

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back