• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Heron (Ohio)? (1 Viewer)

OhioMoose

From alongside a backwater area of a local river in Central Ohio.

I have yet to get a very good photo of this shy fellow, who seems to know I'm coming before I know he's in the area. He flies across the water, and ends up hidden in a tree (where I can't get a photo of him immobile). He has been in the area for the past two days, and I'll try to catch a good photo of him again tomorrow morning.

Far from green, this bird seems to be primarily blue or slate grey on top. The photos have not had colors manipulated at all. The legs are very yellow.

There are a few additional photos at: http://www.k8nd.com/Local_Critters/Photos_GreenHeron/index.htm.

Attachments

• GreenHeron_7605.jpg
    GreenHeron_7605.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 118
  • GreenHeron_7763.jpg
    GreenHeron_7763.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 126
  • GreenHeron_7766.jpg
    GreenHeron_7766.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 110
Definitely a Green Heron.

True, it isn't very green, but then they're often not, really - it's more of a grayish, greenish, blueish tone that does vary according to lighting conditions. Like a Great Blue Heron - I'd call that mainly gray, color-wise.

Having said that, yours does seem unusually blue.

Thanks for the info! I know exactly where that's located. I live in southern Ohio, but grew up in Columbus. I have friends who live in Powell so I may just have to make a trip up there to see this bird! I saw 5 Great White Egrets this spring that were just amazing. No one around here had ever seen them before, just the Great Blue Herons! Was this the Olentangy River or Scioto River?

Julie

Was this the Olentangy River or Scioto River?

Julie

Thanks to all for the ID of the Green Heron: I'll try to woo it into posing for some better photos!

Julie: This is at the Twin Lakes Area of O'Shaughnessy Nature Preserve, a part of the Scioto River just north of Shawnee Hills on Dublin Road. It's not a big area.

There are plenty of Great Blue Heron there daily, and I've been told at my local WBU store that there have been recent sightings of a Great Egret there (but that would be unusual for Central Ohio, and I haven't seen any sign of it - yet).

Now that you know it's a green heron, the next step would be to age this bird. It is an adult. I think you should become familiar with first-year birds, too, as inexperienced birders often confuse them for bitterns.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back