• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

LMG

Hi, thought I'd better introduce myself as I've just joined the group. I'm passionate about wild birds and animals. I live on a farm on the Mendips, in Somerset, where there is plenty of wildlife to see. I saw a barn owl yesterday which was very special. I hope to start training to become a ringer soon, as I'd love to ring 'my birds'. I have a dozen boxes up each year and most are used.
I love photographing wildlife but I'm not very good at it. My pictures aren't up to the quality that some of you display on the site. The head and shoulders of the blue tit was brilliant so were the hummingbirds. I'll keep trying!
Last summer I made a four hour video of my baby blue tits, which I'll edit to about half an hour when I get time. I managed to film the whole story - nest building, eggs, hatching, feeding and leaving the box. Look out David Attenborough!
I really like the bird forum, lots of interesting bits and bobs.

Welcome to Birdforum, LMG :bounce: I'm glad that you've found a few items of interest to pique your interest. Everyone is very friendly on here and the atmosphere is great. Feel free to join in on any of the threads.

I too have been videoing Blue Tits in their nest box for the last couple of years, just using a 'black and white' board camera installed in a nestbox attached to the house. I'd love it to be a colour one but they're a little expensive at the moment. I also record to video and then edit on the computer. It's all great fun :)

As regards the quality of photograohy on the site, it is very good. Though I have to say the Blue Tit shot could have been taken by anyone, you just need to be close enough to the subject - in this case I had come across a bird ringer who held the bird whilst I took the photo from 4' away ;)

I hope to see you around on the forums :bounce:

Welcome LMG.
I'm fairly new here and can vouch for the friendliness of the regulars.

It was seeing a Barn Owl when I was a kid that got me interested in birds, although I drifted and have only recently returned to birding. Barn Owls ARE special.

I hope you find time to post more info on your nesting Blue Tits
to the forums (maybe some stills from your video?):t:

Dylan.

Welcome to the forum. You actually herald from my birth county as I was born in Weston super Mud, oh sorry Mare. I don't know what it is about Somerset but when I used to do a lot of Coarse fishing I visited a lot of the rivers and drains down there but since I started birding, only 6 years ago, I have done virtually nothing in that area. In fact the only stop I had there was when I visited the Weston super Mare sewage works on the way back from the Scilly isles in October 1999. That was for an American White winged Black Tern.

Somerset is such a vast area and I always seem to pass it by when going to the south west. It will be interesting to read any days out you have in Somerset and the sites you visit.

The Blue Tit video sounds fascinating and a real work of art. I hope it turns out as good as you want it to.

The Barn Owl is one of my all time favourite birds and you wouldn't credit it but I haven't seen one yet this year, neither have I seen a Kingfisher in Britain yet.

Keep the posts coming. You will enjoy this forum as they are a friendly bunch. I have only been in it a week myself and already I feel well accepted.

Regards
John J

ahhhhh John J got you there then have seen kingfisher x 2 they hang out very close to me in the mill race at the bottom of the field at the bottom of the garden next to the river.

El Annie ;)

ElAnnie

I have had no luck with Kingfisher this year. I was even taken to a place where they breed and was guaranteed to see one as the person who took me there had never failed to see one, well that was until he took me lol.

Regards
John J

Hello LMJ

Welcome, I always get a buzz out of seeing Barn Owl we are fortunate in having a very healthy population in Norfolk. Hope you enjoy the forum. Do drop into chat some time.

burhinus

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back