• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss HT Objective Covers... (1 Viewer)

Mac308

United States
Have to say, when I finally saw what passes for Objective Covers that come with the new HT's I was shocked.

Obviously the irregular shape of the exterior barrels makes it impossible to supply the terrific tethered objective covers that come with the FL's, but man... what a huge disappointment. Seems to me it would have been a simple ergonomic compromise to end the irregular shape of the armoring prior to the end of the barrels to allow for the excellent FL-style covers.

Obviously this is not a deal killer to many, but functional objective covers (like the FL's) are critical to how I use my bins and it looks like, no matter how good the HT's are, I'll absolutely be passing on them.

Really dumb move Zeiss... really dumb.

http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/ZeissHT8x42/Zeiss_HT_8x42_17.jpg

Last edited:
Could someone send Mac308 a set of custom made rubber-coated rebar reinforced concrete and carbon fiber objective caps so he can go beat a grizzly to death with his binos while keeping the lenses spotless.

Sorry Mac, couldn't resist. ;)

Mark

Could someone send Mac308 a set of custom made rubber-coated rebar reinforced concrete and carbon fiber objective caps so he can go beat a grizzly to death with his binos while keeping the lenses spotless.

Mark

LOL Loved this one Mark.

As a ZeissGuy I have to say I agree with Mac about the HTs objective covers. I don't use them myself, our climate over here means we don't get blown dust or sand often, but I must say the covers are poor. What's more I will be visiting the Zeiss stand at the coming Bird Fair over here and I will certainly point this out.

Not sure that the armouring is much of a reason for this either: a suitably stretchy rubber would surely pull over the armour and still grip the rest of the barrel circumference. Although some rubber compounds in tension are liable to attack by ozone, I can't imagine there is no compound that could do this job.

Lee

Mark

I'd only beat a grizzly with Swaro's... great return policy and all ;)

LOL Loved this one Mark.

As a ZeissGuy I have to say I agree with Mac about the HTs objective covers. I don't use them myself, our climate over here means we don't get blown dust or sand often, but I must say the covers are poor. What's more I will be visiting the Zeiss stand at the coming Bird Fair over here and I will certainly point this out.

Not sure that the armouring is much of a reason for this either: a suitably stretchy rubber would surely pull over the armour and still grip the rest of the barrel circumference. Although some rubber compounds in tension are liable to attack by ozone, I can't imagine there is no compound that could do this job.

Lee

Lee, once upon a time I had a Swaro 7x30 SLC... thinking back I don't believe the barrels were perfectly round, and the excellent tethered objective covers supplied with them worked well. But the armoring transition from one shape to another was not as severe as the HT's. Still, perhaps an FL cover would work on the HT?

Please raise the topic with them... it's a real shame to build such a top-drawer bin and not equip them properly.

Will say, my little Zeiss 8x20 Victory doesn't come with covers, but since this is a fair weather backpacking bin I don't really mind.

Hard-use bins deserve more however...

I use my objective covers at all times when not using the HT's.They are not that easy to put on but they stay on perfectly which is what they are designed to do even when hiking.Perseveer with them if you can but I would like to hear what Zeiss say I have no problems with them at all....Eddy

I've never used them in my life, never needed them either.

But, if you need a reason to hate on the HT, these covers are as good a reason as any........

But, seriously, you would pass on a bin. based on the objective covers???

I have seen several people complain about the covers, and do not really understand why. I get the feeling it is just because it is not what they are used to. I mainly use them for storage, or when trekking through thick brush where something could scratch the lenses, although I went 20+ years with my last pair without covers and never got a scratch. They work well, and stay put when I do use them. What exactly is the problem?

How are they different from the objective covers on the 42mm FLs? I notice that these covers will fit on my TerraED which has odd triangular points at 1 and 5 o' clock and 7 and 11 o'clock on the ends of the barrels which are similar in design to the HT.

They could fit a hint tighter but are useable.

If you have a Zeiss 42mm FL handy see how they fit on the HT.

Bob

PS: The objective covers that come with the Terra ED are overly complex and nearly useless. They plug into the ends of the objective tubes nicely but they are supposed to attach to the strap lugs on the binocular via elastic cords with plastic snap in clips on them. Apparently these are the same objective covers supplied with the HTs. I also don't trust the durability of those plastic clips holding them on the cords.

Last edited:
Mac

Since you are the OP here could you say what aspect of the covers you really don't like.

For myself, as I have mentioned, I don't use these covers but I have tried them out a few times and found them tricky to get on (as Eddie pointed out) and when taken off, having them dangle around, attached by the tether, I didn't think they looked like a premium solution suitable for an alpha bin.

Plus I often have a camera around my neck, changing lenses from time to time, as well as a close-focusing monocular and having something else dangling around is definitely a no-no.

Lee

I don't tether mine to the binocular as I don't like things dangling about in the breeze.Instead I put them in a pocket and replace them when I am finished.I lost my objective covers after a few weeks and Zeiss replaced them in three days,they must have fallen out of my pocket or something.Never did find them again....Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back