• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma AF APO 500mm f/4.5: compatibility issues? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
any info on the compatibility of this lens (Canon mount) with a digital camera (Canon 20D)?
Does it work only in Aperture priority (wide open)? Does it retain AF?
Thank you very much,
Max

Hello everybody,
any info on the compatibility of this lens (Canon mount) with a digital camera (Canon 20D)?
Does it work only in Aperture priority (wide open)? Does it retain AF?
Thank you very much,
Max

Hi Max,

To be specific are you referring to the early non EX non DG (non HSM?) version of this lens. If so then from what I've read it may only meter wide open. I think its a case of, stick it on the camera and see what happens!
EX HSM models onwards should be fine on a 20d, mine is :D

Paul

Hello Paul,
thank you for your answer ... I can't be very specific, but, gathering info from the picture I saw, it must be the old non EX non DG non HSM model ;) ... it's an Ebay item, so no chance of testing it before buying
Max

From what I've read the older versions of this lens (pre EX) are not of the same quality as the current EX version, lack of HSM would also be a big negative...

Sigma 500mm F4.5 Ex Dg Hsm

Hi,and thanks for the welcome to BF.Just about to purchase the sigma 500mm f4.5 possibly from either,TECNO,or WAREHOUSE EXPRESS.I do however have one last minute doubt!Would i be better getting the sigma 300mm f2.8,i would use either with my D100 which has a 1.5x multiplier.Both will accept teleconverters.Would i be using the 300mm/handheld/monopod more than i would be useing the 500mm+tripod.This situation has arisen because i have a holiday coming up in september,where we will be going to Oregon USA.In view of this i can only think that,weight wise,the 300mm would be easier to transport,and would be the obvious choice to purchase first.If i follow this line of thought,there is the other choice of 300mm!that being the sigma 120-300mm zoom?any thoughts?I must admit that after proof reading this i may have answered my own question.But i would still like to hear from seasoned birders useing this equipment.Thanks and great birding to all.

IVAN

IVAN,

I have used the 500/4.5 abroad and it is easy to carry and fits neatly into a Lowe Pro mini-trekker, albeit without the camera attached. I have also used the 300/2.8. Whilst this lens can be used handheld it is still quite heavy. My 500/4.5 was my everyday lens and would recommend this lens to anyone who does not want to splash out on the canon/nikon lenses.

Hi Ivan

I have the 500 f4.5 and love it (I'd only ever swap it from one of the big Canon primes), even with a 1.4x on the back I often want more reach. Personally I wouldn't be happy with a 300 f2.8 as my main lens (though I'd love one aswell), I'm sure it would always have a 1.4x tc which would only come off when I wanted to use it with a 2x.

You could consider getting a secondhand 500 f4.5 (like this one - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=88786 ), at that price you could almost afford to get the 300 f2.8 too!

Sigma 500mm F4.5

Thanks Chris&Postcardcv for the comments,just missed buying the lens buy 2 hours.
Thanks also for the advice on the 300mm lens.Yes it is heavy but i do need a dedicated walkaround lens.In light of both of your comments i am persuaded to maybe look at the Sigma 80/400mm,or the 100/300mmf4.
I have also just bought the Kenko 1.4 and x2 pro 300 converters,but will look at treating myself to the Nikon TC1.4exII when in the USA,cheaper,and do the necessary modification to fit the sigma's.
IVAN.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back