Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 08:01   #1276
Mike Montier

Just one small group, the total number was staggering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	722588D8-66A7-414E-AABF-7574567A5A8D.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	712406  
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 15:42   #1277
Clive Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob freeman View Post
Mike hopefully meet up next April as I think we will be visiting Albercutx Tower on a few occasions.
Must try and meet up with Clive again too.

Thanks Ian hope you have a goodun up in Aberdeen.I spent a few great Hogmanay,s there when I used to work on the DSV vessels back in the 80s 90s.

Cheers

Bob
Hi Bob, I look forward to meeting you next year too, I haven't done much birding in Mallorca this year sad to say, so I want to do more next year. I have just been admiring your Moustached Warbler photos, they're superb, a difficult bird to get close to. Must catch up with Mike again too, I've been out of touch too long.

Clive.
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 16:44   #1278
Mike Montier

Hi Clive, good to hear from you. It would be nice to meet and have a catch-up.
I need help with my new camera!
Hope to see you soon, Mike
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 16:48   #1279
Mike Montier

No news today, very high winds.
I walked along the sea-front from Palma to Cala Gamba and back, hoping to see an Oystercatcher, Red-breasted merganser or Razorbill, all of which I still need for the BigYear.
Nothing much around, just a hopeful Osprey patrolling the beach and a few gulls being blown around.
Mike
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 15:58   #1280
Mike Montier

An afternoon walk around Mondragó was very pleasant.
Nothing like the numbers of Goldcrest that were present last week but I managed to see five which is still a good number for this site.
Crossbills were very active as they always are at this time of the year, a Peregrine flashed by, five Common Kestrel, Red Kite, Linnet, lots of Robins and even more Black Redstarts.
A Blue Rock Thrush put in an appearance and five Meadow pipits were on the rocks.
Mike
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 18:39   #1281
Clive Griffin

A visit to Son Real at the hide drinking pool yesterday produced Hawfinch, Crossbill, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Black Redstart, Blackbird, Chiff-chaff, Greenfinch, Robin, Great Tit, Hoopoe.
Clive
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crossbill_4502.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	712663  Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbill_4596.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	712664  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawfinch_4499.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	712665  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawfinch_4511.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	619.3 KB
ID:	712666  Click image for larger version

Name:	Song Thrush_4620.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	712667  

Old Friday 20th December 2019, 16:06   #1282
Mike Montier

Philip had a good day out yesterday with Phil at Albufera, 78 species including both male and female Hen Harrier, Greater flamingo, Bluethroat and Fieldfare.
Big storm today so I will have a good scoot round the Island when it settles.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Friday 20th December 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Wrong number of species.
Old Saturday 21st December 2019, 15:17   #1283
Mike Montier

Having been given so many remedies for this heavy cold doing the rounds, I chose to ignore them all and go to the lighthouse for some seawatching.
There was a pretty violent storm last night and still a stiff breeze this afternoon but 186 Balearic shearwaters cheered me up.
It’s always a joy to watch them flying fast and wheeling over the tops of the waves.
That was the best remedy I reckon.
Mike
Old Monday 23rd December 2019, 19:04   #1284
Mike Montier

A second storm ripped through Mallorca yesterday with a wind speed of over 140kph being recorded near Bunyola.
The weather has now returned to sunny and warm and some good birds were seen around the coast including Razorbill, Red-breasted merganser and Larus fuscus.
I was hoping to do a seawatch today but I will have a good look tomorrow, visitors prevented a day out today but I did manage to get Goldcrest on my garden list.
Mike
Old Wednesday 25th December 2019, 13:53   #1285
honeym

Just to wish everyone on this forum a Happy & Healthy (bird-filled) Chistmas and New Year.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xmas 2019 web.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	713207  
Old Wednesday 25th December 2019, 21:00   #1286
Mike Montier

Thank you Martin, the same to you and all other followers if this thread.
Nice photo too, a walk to my local park this morning, 20 degrees and still brimming with Goldcrests.
All the best to everyone,
Mike
Old Wednesday 25th December 2019, 21:03   #1287
Mike Montier

Mondragó this morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2564A6ED-B65C-4D90-A949-E4F7046ABF14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	713238  
Old Thursday 26th December 2019, 17:37   #1288
Mike Montier

Another beautiful day with sunshine all day and 20 degrees of warmth.
Lots of butterflies around today, mainly Speckled Wood, and there are even bats flying around our apartment this evening.
I saw Mistle Thrush this morning and many local raptors in the sky to keep the birding spirits up during these quiet times.
Lots more Balearic shearwaters have been appearing and Dolphins have been putting on a good show of late.
Mike
Old Friday 27th December 2019, 13:02   #1289
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Nice photo too. All the best to everyone,
Mike
It's the view looking inland from our Christmas holiday cottage on the banks of the River Nith, just south of Dumfries. So lots of Barnacle Geese, some Pink-footed, Whooper Swan, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Goldeneye, Goosander, Shelduck, Buzzard and Red Kite.
At Caerlavrock WWT yesterday stunning cluse views of a female othher with two well-grown cubs - down to about 2mtrs - brilliant!
Old Saturday 28th December 2019, 17:43   #1290
Mike Montier

It’s been an eventful day to say the least.
News came through early this morning of a Red-footed boobie in Palma bay and a photo was posted of a possible Slender-billed Curlew up north. I didn’t reckon the Curlew looked right so I decided to go for the Boobie.
I took the kids down the port for a final drink before taking them to the airport. I parked the car and when I returned, my daughter said she had seen a strange bird hovering over the reeds.
They had taken a photo of what looks suspiciously like a Penduline tit, a species I have never seen before.
After dropping them off, I drove flat-out to Palma, scanned the sea for a considerable time before I got a message to say that today is the day of the innocents..April fool’s day.
Despite mentioning this only a few posts ago, I have managed to fall for it for the fifth year.
Even I am astonished at the level of stupidity I am capable of.
I will be down the port in the morning but in the meantime, any comments would be welcome from this very poor phone shot.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D8541570-DC14-47D1-BF95-DD9A6B9ECCB0.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	713420  

Last edited by Mike Montier : Sunday 29th December 2019 at 08:40.
Old Sunday 29th December 2019, 14:45   #1291
ESTEBANNIC

If it makes you feel better Mike I fell for the Red-flanked Bluetail which was also reported, I've lived in the Balearics for 35 years, so no excuse for me......
On another note a couple of days ago I went up to Orient, great few hours birding with at least 20 Fieldfare, 6 Redwing, loads of Hawfinch and a flock of Siskin. This area is totally underwatched. Dipped on Brambling though. Not going to make it into the 200 species club this year..

That bird in the photo has a certain "Lanius" look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
It’s been an eventful day to say the least.
News came through early this morning of a Red-footed boobie in Palma bay and a photo was posted of a possible Slender-billed Curlew up north. I didn’t reckon the Curlew looked right so I decided to go for the Boobie.
I took the kids down the port for a final drink before taking them to the airport. I parked the car and when I returned, my daughter said she had seen a strange bird hovering over the reeds.
They had taken a photo of what looks suspiciously like a Penduline tit, a species I have never seen before.
After dropping them off, I drove flat-out to Palma, scanned the sea for a considerable time before I got a message to say that today is the day of the innocents..April fool’s day.
Despite mentioning this only a few posts ago, I have managed to fall for it for the fifth year.
Even I am astonished at the level of stupidity I am capable of.
I will be down the port in the morning but in the meantime, any comments would be welcome from this very poor phone shot.
Mike

Last edited by ESTEBANNIC : Sunday 29th December 2019 at 15:38.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: