• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

different sites (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Hoping to spend a month in peninsular Malaysia very soon, and was wondering if anyone knows any sites for any of:

Milky or Storm's Stork, Slender-billed Crow, Yellow-breasted Warbler, Malaysian Honeyguide, Wrinkled and Plain-pouched Hornbills, Bat Hawk, Tawny-throated Parrot-finch, Brown-backed or Scarlet-breasted Flowerpeckers, Rufous-tailed Shama, or Great-billed Heron.

I'm looking forward to revisiting Taman Negara and Frazer's Hill too, as well as going to Kuala Selangor for the first time, but can't seem to find any reports that don't deal only with these sites.

Also very interested in any recent reports of Finfoot.

Any help here greatly appreciated.

Hi Larry,
I can't help with any of those sorry, but in case they don't see your thread, I'd recommend you PM Dr Manjeet Singh, Dave B, Jason Tan and/or James Eaton. They all have a pretty good knowledge of the Peninsular Malaysia area and may be able to help.

We have an interesting book called 'Wildlife Guide Malaysia' by Helen Oon (Globetrotter books). While it's not bird specific it gives pretty good info on the National Parks, for Peninsular Malaysia, it covers Taman Negara NP, Endau Rompin NP, Royal Belum State Park and Temengor Forest Reserve. I will scan through and see if any of your birds are mentioned, otherwise perhaps you could try googling the parks for more info or birdlists?

Sorry I couldn't be of more immediate assitance.
Rach

Hi again Larry,
Just looked through the book I mentioned.
It lists Lata Berkoh cataract (Taman Negara area - 5hr jungle trek or 1hr boat ride from Kuala Tahan) as a possible site for Masked Finfoot, but then goes on to say there are very few water birds in the park - so slim chances I guess.
Endau Rompin lists Giant Pitta and Grey-breasted Babbler. You need a premit for this park www.johorparks.com
Royal Belum & Temengor Forest Reserve "Belem-Temengor forest complex i sthe only forest in Malaysia which is home to all 10 species of Malaysian Hornbill. Large flocks of endangered Plain-pouched and Wreathed Hornbills are often seen gathering around fruit trees or roosting in raucous groups, normally between the months of July & November. A record number of over 2000 Plain-pouched Hornbills have been recorded by MNS in one evening"

Hope that helps.
Rach

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back