• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Bronzewing or Spotted Turtledove chick? (1 Viewer)

Rose Fletcher

Rose from Australia - formerly Birdeye
This little one was picked up injured on a road in Willunga, South Australia, by my son. Because of the difficulty in rearing pigeon/dove chicks, and the fact that I didn't know where my recipe for pigeon milk was, I took it to a wildlife care organisation.

The problem, however, is this: Spotted Turtledoves (Streptopelia chinensis) are introduced birds and fall outside the care guidelines of the wildlife care organisation. Common Bronzewings (Phaps chalcoptera), which I believe the bird to be, are native birds and will be cared for. I took the bird to the care lady believing it to be a native bird, but she insisted that it was not a bronzewing, but an introduced turtledove. Once you take a bird to them, they will not give it back, so the bird is now in their hands.

It's now about 5.00 AM here, and I've been up all night worrying that they might put down a native bird by mistake. If I had thought it was an introduced bird I would have done my best for it myself; however, that was not what happened, and there's no going back.

Can anybody verify for me which species of bird this chick is, while there is still time to intervene if my ID was correct?

Attachments

• P1090183 - Copy.JPG
    P1090183 - Copy.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 183
Thanks Bowley! I needed verification from elsewhere, as the wildlife carers, while knowledgable and dedicated, don't like local folks telling them 'their' business. It's sort of..'treading on toes'.

I couldn't believe the lady argued with my ID, Spotted Turtledoves don't have any white around their eyes. You've probably saved the bird's life, as soon as it gets late enough for me to make a phone call, I will quote you as an 'international expert'. That will be enough to persuade them to take another look.

Been called alot of things before Rose...but never an 'international expert'!! ;) Anyways, good luck and hope you get that phonecall in before they make a mistake. Keep us posted

Ads

Adam, if it helps the little bird along without bruising any tender egos, an international expert you will be. :king: It's called diplomacy in some circles...barefaced lying in others... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back