• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars with digital camera built in (1 Viewer)

looks like something out of star wars! let us know what the pictures are like when you finally get your hands on it.

Would be very interested to hear how you find the binocular/camera combi.Also to see any pictures taken.I find it difficult to understand as to how one can keep the outfit steady enough when holding in the air to take a clear picture.Also when one thinks how much a decent pair of bins cost,then the price of a decent camera,then compare to the price of one of these combinations,I am very sceptical.
Please,Wroughtiron ,do let us know how you get on with them

saw one in a shop in newcastle. around 120 pound! so not sure what the quality will be like. also advertised in latest RSPB bird mag - website was www.eupac.co.uk - aint visited the site yet so cant comment.

wroughtiron said:
I just ordered the VistaPix 8x32 3.0 MegaPixel w/LCD Screen - Digital Camera Binoculars. Has anyone had any experience with this model or a similar model. Here is a link, I would like for anyone who reads this to look at it and give me your opinion please. Any reviews of this product would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.binoculars.com/products/Celestron_VistaPix_8x32_3.0_MegaPixel_wLCD_Screen_-_Digital_Camera_Binoculars_26088.html

I am concerned about the quality as well because of it being on sale for $200, however it just might be a good introductory offer, I wont know until I get them and try them out

Send them back would be my answer.

I got some and from the picture on the box pictures of small birds sat in trees should be quite detailed, what you find out when you open the box is that they can only be taken from a distance of 15m away- all you get is a speck in the distance.So unless you are taking a Turkey or something equally as large you are wasting your time.
I remember that I once took about 100 pictures with it and only 2 (if my memory serves me right) turned out.
The only good things I can say about them is that the Binoculars gave a sharp clear image and that if you were using the bino/camera for scenery they gave quite a good image.

Sorry to be a party pooper on this one

Marmot said:
Send them back would be my answer.

I got some and from the picture on the box pictures of small birds sat in trees should be quite detailed, what you find out when you open the box is that they can only be taken from a distance of 15m away- all you get is a speck in the distance.So unless you are taking a Turkey or something equally as large you are wasting your time.
I remember that I once took about 100 pictures with it and only 2 (if my memory serves me right) turned out.
The only good things I can say about them is that the Binoculars gave a sharp clear image and that if you were using the bino/camera for scenery they gave quite a good image.

Sorry to be a party pooper on this one

Are you 100% sure you have the exact same model. They claim it takes great pix and is geared towards birding.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these setups are nothing more than a digital camera strapped to a binocular. The image taken by the camera is the image seen by the camera's lens, which is not integrated into the binocular. In the photo, I see what appears to be the camera lens between the bin's objectives.

The hope is to one day record exactly what we see through our bin. That, however, will require some fancy light manipulation with current binocular technologies or a total binocular redesign. Some folks are already using digital telephoto cameras in place of a binocular, but we all know it's not the same visual experience.

I think one day we will look into a binocular to see an image displayed on a screen. If the image is good enough, our brain will never know the light has been captured and processed. Digital optics will allow us to adjust sharpness, contrast, color, stabilization, 3D effect, etc. according to individual preferences. Recording an image will be child's play and movies will be commonplace.

John

Mine are Viewcatcher 8x30 1.3 Megapixel. They were purchased from QVC who are pretty choosy what products they sell.

They are pretty similar apart from the LCD screen. I hope in the technology has advanced on these to get a much better result.

John Traynor said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these setups are nothing more than a digital camera strapped to a binocular. The image taken by the camera is the image seen by the camera's lens, which is not integrated into the binocular. In the photo, I see what appears to be the camera lens between the bin's objectives.

The hope is to one day record exactly what we see through our bin. That, however, will require some fancy light manipulation with current binocular technologies or a total binocular redesign. Some folks are already using digital telephoto cameras in place of a binocular, but we all know it's not the same visual experience.

I think one day we will look into a binocular to see an image displayed on a screen. If the image is good enough, our brain will never know the light has been captured and processed. Digital optics will allow us to adjust sharpness, contrast, color, stabilization, 3D effect, etc. according to individual preferences. Recording an image will be child's play and movies will be commonplace.

John
OK Johnny, go invent it! We're all waiting!
I definately am!

Last edited:
I think there may have been a pic in the Gallery yesterday,taken with a pair of Bushnell cam/bins.Cannot remember what the image was,a largish white bird,but I did make a comment asking if cam/bins had been used for the image.I will go and have a look,but do not know how to pop thread numbers on a post.

In case anyone is interested,it is on page 9 of last 7 days posts,bird is a Yellow Headed Caracara,image taken using Bushnell Image view Binocam.I do hope the photo owner does not mind,I did not ask if I could mention on this thread.

Last edited:
I shouldn't think he/her would mind, if it was mine I would be pleased about the interest.
I have a Binocam that was given to me and they are not much good, actualy I should rephrase that, the camera part is pretty hopeless but the bins are surprisingly good.

Mick

wroughtiron said:
I just ordered the VistaPix 8x32 3.0 MegaPixel w/LCD Screen - Digital Camera Binoculars. Has anyone had any experience with this model or a similar model. Here is a link, I would like for anyone who reads this to look at it and give me your opinion please. Any reviews of this product would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.binoculars.com/products/Celestron_VistaPix_8x32_3.0_MegaPixel_wLCD_Screen_-_Digital_Camera_Binoculars_26088.html

I do not recommend. Get a Nikon 4500 and be done with it.

wroughtiron said:
I do not recommend. Get a Nikon 4500 and be done with it.
Does this mean you have tried it and didn't like it or sent it back?

You could post a review of it in the Review section for others to use if you have tried it.

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Does this mean you have tried it and didn't like it or sent it back?

You could post a review of it in the Review section for others to use if you have tried it.

Andy.

I never even bothered putting batteries in it for the camera. First off, the binoculars dont give you short distance viewing, so no butterflies or birds that are within 10 feet. Secondly, as everyone has already stated, its nothing more than a cheap camera attached to a set of 8x binocs, and honestly the binocs arent that great. Bottomline, a quality pair of digi bins (whenever they decide to make a pair) are going to cost more than $200. I have not decided if I am going to return them, I mean they are convenient and its all in one package, but honestly dont know. My recommendation is a good digital camera and a scope and digiscope, it gives you the most options even though its the most expensive way to do it, its the right way.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back