• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird, Basque Country, Spain (1 Viewer)

Peter - I must admit that I was hovering between the two. The white tipped tail is present on both I think (at this age) - is this true and are there any other pointers?

Peter - I must admit that I was hovering between the two. The white tipped tail is present on both I think (at this age) - is this true and are there any other pointers?

Simon,
the general proportions/jizz differ quite a lot between the two. Northern being more stockily built, and it usually adapts a more upright position.

It has longer legs, set further back than Black-eared.

The latter has a longer tail projection, and there are some differences in the juvenile plumage too. The wing bar formed by median coverts is more prominent, and the edges of primaries and greater coverts are less rufous compared to Northern.

Regards Peter

Thanks a lot Peter - I can now see the difference in the median covert bar after looking at the Ibercaja files. The other plumage features you mention seem more subtle to me. Also, even the posture and structure detals would be problematic for me due to changes in hot or cool weather. Even though I see them a lot I've often had problems with young or even female BEW in the late summer and autumn - though I usually get there in the end - some have got away! Its frustrating when I see both so much!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Johannes,
Where in the Basque Country did you find the wheatear? and do you have any more pics? Black-eared only breeds on the extreme south afaik, Northern is much more widespread. I also get a strong Black-eared feel on this bird, mainly on tail projection, overall shape and also the boldly mottled upperparts, but too often a single pic can be misleading.

Niels, thanks a lot!

Motmot,
I saw this bird around 1 km off the Ebro near the road to Lantziego. Unfortunately, its the only picture I managed to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back