• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Chiffchaff, poss. tristis? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

yesterday (05.01.20) this strange chiff was lurking in a group of normal ones. Size and behavior didn't differ, but the bird was obviously lighter in tone, especially on the underside. I played some tristis calls and song, as well as collybita ones, but unfortunately none of the birds answered. Due to some very light yellow hues on the supercilium just above the eyes I'm very hesitant to call it tristis, but I'll be glad to hear some opinions on the bird and any tips on the ID of tristis-type chiffs. Thanks a lot! :)
Location is Burgas, Black Sea coast, Bulgaria.

Cheers,
Teo

DSC_4972.JPG DSC_4973.JPG DSC_4982.JPG DSC_4981.JPG

Looks fine for tristis, dark lores rule out Bonelli's (also very unlikely to be in northern hemisphere at this time of the year).

I was wondering if it might be Bonelli's too, but didn't respond to song/calls either. Eye-ring is broken, which definitely excludes it. Note that the rump is grey, only small part of the lower flanks is yellowish (which might point to some fulvescens genes, no idea). About the lores - I looked around and it appears they can be a bit more prominent in some individuals, might be within variation for EBonelli's.

Teo

Would also call it a tristis-type Chiffchaff but a very interesting one. There seems to be a moult limit in the greater coverts between the grey inner and the greenish outer GC? Also the tertials are completely grey while the rest of the remiges show narrow green fringes ... Can't recall that I ever saw a tristis like this. Thanks for sharing.

Superficially this looks like tristis but there are a few problems, and I think that an extreme grey collybita might be a better fit.

The supercilium is weak, and certainly doesn't dominate the eyering
Lacks warm tones on the face
Underpars look pretty dark for tristis
lacks any sort of greater covert bar
Overall a very grey bird - ideally tristis should show brown tones.

Shame it didn't call!

There's been some interesting discussions about "grey-and-white", or "Bonelli's-like" chiffys a few years ago - unfortunately i can't remember which websites at the mo! :-(

Yes, indeed the GCs are moulting on both wings from green to grey, thanks for noting! Also, concerning the colors - the light was kinda bad, so some of the browner tones on the head have been lost. I didn't want to edit the photos, in case I mess up the hues. In the field the birds left a bit warmer impression. That doesn't explain the strange supercilium though, so I'm also left scratching my head. Too bad it didn't call, I was ready to record it, but the whole group was silent. There were some interesting features on a few of them, generally more grey than usual, but did't strike me as different, while this one did. Anyways, without call it might well be collybita with some tristis genes. Strange one :D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back