• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff (2)--------------------Dunlin
Green Sand----------------Curlew (18)
Meadow Pipit---------------Sedge Warbler
Rook-----------------------Shoveler (30)
Teal (78)-------------------B H Gull (c500)
Sparrowhawk

MOORS:
Snipe (3)-------------------Lapwing (65)
Little Grebe (10)------------Kingfisher (2)
B H Gull (c400)-------------Peregrine
Greylag Goose (18)---------Canada Goose (459)
G C Grebe (4+2 juvs)-------Sand Martin (c40)
House Martin (c200)--------Cormorant (4)
Shoveler (5)

N MOORS SEASONAL POOL:
Water Rail (juv)------------Rook

SAILING POOL:
Tufted Duck (20)

Des.

Unusual to see Tufted Duck in such numbers on the Sailing Pool. Looks like all the Common Sand have departed.

Will carry on the Canada-counting game on Sunday for the WeBS count.

Hi All
Is this a rat or a mink taken in front of the water rail hide this afternoon?

Attachments

• DSC08803-Edit (640x342).jpg
    DSC08803-Edit (640x342).jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 197
Unusual to see Tufted Duck in such numbers on the Sailing Pool. Looks like all the Common Sand have departed.

The Canada count is courtesy of John Sirrett who had the necessary patience in a full hide.

The Tufted. Duck were on the S Pool early in the morning and dispersed during the day.

Des.

couple from yesterday
1=my what a beauty
2=Little grebe
8-P

Attachments

• bf uw 1 DSC_4525.jpg
    bf uw 1 DSC_4525.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Lg uw 11 DSC_4503.jpg
    Lg uw 11 DSC_4503.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

There also seems to have been an increase in the Canadas' fellow-travellers: this morning there were at least 4 predominantly white geese among them. If this is a trend there could be a chart in it, Phil.

Peter

Hi All

This has a very long body for a rat and continues to be broad and hairy where the tail would be expected to be. There is no evidence of a long, thin naked tail which is usually quite obvious and is diagnostic. It is not clear from the photo whether the ears are naked or hairy. The fur throughout consists of numerous long hairs amongst the short.
Could this be, albeit rather unexpected for the area, a (young?) swimming grey squirrel? They are, after all, rats.
Just a thought.;)

I D please

I spent yesterday in the East Hide. Just after 07:00 I spotted these ducks. The light wasn't very good so didn't get a very good shot of them. I expect they are mallards or the like in disguise |:$| ... but just in case.

Dave

Attachments

• Worcs  Wildlife Trust.JPG
    Worcs Wildlife Trust.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 117
Hi All

Just had a look at both animals in my photos on Flickr as Janner Falcon pointed out some features that looked more mink than rat & they can look quite similar swimming. "Looks long" Yes they do look much longer in the water than on land. "No evidence of a long thin tail" The tails often don't show at all when swimming. The bushyness of the fur near the tail looks Mink-like but Rats fur looks like that when wet. The ears are probably the clincher for me. Minks ears are generally smaller & closer to the head. So Rat for me, which is good news, well beter news than the return of a Mink anyway.

Rob

I spent yesterday in the East Hide. Just after 07:00 I spotted these ducks. The light wasn't very good so didn't get a very good shot of them. I expect they are mallards or the like in disguise |:$| ... but just in case.

Dave

Hi Dave, they look like a hybrid between Swedish Black/Blue duck (a Domestic breed) & poss Mallard. There are usually a few knocking about round the reserve. Got me going the 1st time I saw one!

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back