• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

An early start 5.30 am at the Flashes

The shelduck are acting as if there is going to be an imminent show of young. Today 5 adults flew around the southern farm building. The all landed on the small building roof. As Shelduck have nested there before I get the feeling they are nesting in the farmyard.
If my hunch that they had bred in the farmyard was true...I would love to know how the chicks got through over or around the Fox fence. It would be a daunting journey which ever way they went...I wonder if the adults could carry them in their bills and drop them over the fence. :eek!: either way they are inside the Flashes :t::t:

No, not the dancers thankfully! Not so good on dragonfly and damselfly ID but I think these two are Broad Bodied Chaser and Common Blue? The roe buck was with a doe on the North Moors as was the Mistle Thrush that came to check us out, the duckling is there simply for an "Ahhh" moment - hope it works!!!

Nice Ian mistle thrush not an easy 'one' at Upton:t:

Thought I'd share this stealth GCG with you all. 3:)3:)
Also a pic of the Canada creche.

Attachments

• W95A7115.jpg
    W95A7115.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 106
  • W95A7113.jpg
    W95A7113.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 95
  • W95A7090.jpg
    W95A7090.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 100
Early morning highlights;

Flashes: Shelduck 7 chicks still, 10 Lapwing chicks, Oystercatcher 1 chick, 1 Avocet chick, 4 LRP, 2 Redshank, 2 juv Raven

Salwarpe: 1 poss 2 Garden Warbler. 1 still singing and showing well. Chiffchaff with 2 fledged birds

Moors: circa 100 Swifts, 4 Common Tern, Little Grebe 3 chicks, Oystercatcher 2 chicks - probably more as quite hidden

North Moors: 2 Chiffchaff one with fledged brood of 4 to plantation, another with at least 2. Whitethroat still displaying

Shelduck chick flic here;
https://flic.kr/p/Hf1Kpd

Report of a possible Bluethroat (first year male?) on the west side of the Moors Pool yesterday afternoon - worth keeping your eyes open and ears tuned to any unusual calls / song.

"Possible Report" and "First Year Male" seem mutually exclusive? Any more details? Who saw the bird?

John and I have been sent an email from the County Recorder with details of the observation from a Trust employee

SMW had also advised John of a second claim but details are sketchy

Lovely to see Spring underway at Upton today. Swifts over the sailing pool as I arrived around 10am. On the approach to the Avocet Hide at The Flashes there was blue tit activity in one of the nest boxes. From the hide I observed the shelduck family, counting seven ducklings. It was encouraging to see the oystercatcher with its chick, and a well developed young lapwing. It took a long time before I was able to spot a young avocet, which appeared to be thriving. Given the large number of avocets present and sitting, surely we won't have to wait too long to see more.

A pair of little ringed plover were displaying and mating. Redshank was feeding on the bank near the third Flash. Also saw goldfinches and linnet.

Over at the Moors I spent half an hour at Arthur's Hide. Cettis were calling. Other birds included reed bunting, reed warbler and bullfinch. It was also good to see terns on the rafts.

small stuff

had a few hours today, saw a grey wagtail and a slow worm, no idea what i've photographed, a spider, 3 moths and a fly.

Attachments

• DSC08110.JPG
    DSC08110.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC08125.jpg
    DSC08125.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC08151.jpg
    DSC08151.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC08166.JPG
    DSC08166.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC08174.JPG
    DSC08174.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 88
nice photo's Tracie,you taken it to the next level.I too have no idea what you taken either:king:.
note for peter I also have chicks in the following but the adults didn't return well I was there so didn't stop to long.North Moors N/E end box 6. Moors ,Box by seat on west track others may know the bird in there? Salwarpe, Boxes 1 & 2. Flashes, 2 boxes to the right of the boardwalk, and a Blue tit was using the box on the side of the hide.

nice photo's Tracie,you taken it to the next level.I too have no idea what you taken either:king:.
note for peter I also have chicks in the following but the adults didn't return well I was there so didn't stop to long.North Moors N/E end box 6. Moors ,Box by seat on west track others may know the bird in there? Salwarpe, Boxes 1 & 2. Flashes, 2 boxes to the right of the boardwalk, and a Blue tit was using the box on the side of the hide.

That's splendid, Tim. You're a real treasure.

Peter

An early start 6.30 at Moors. But outdone by Chris T who was at the Flashes 5.15 am.
I did a bit of breeding survey work along the west side of the Moors and along the Salwarp trail. Pleasing to see a few more sedge warbler than of late. The garden warbler continued to sing along the salwarp but the cold north wind probably surprised other songsters. From the west side I did a slow circuit of the North Moors. Again more sedge warbler a few reeds, but most impressive was the good showing of reed buntings. This species is an ' amber' category breeding species and we certainly hold good numbers.
On ro the East hide where things were very quiet, well initially. One conspicuous species was swift. They were finding food above the southern end of the pool, the sailing pool and nearby fields, building up during the morning. But a commotion in front of the hide revealed a fox sneaking off with a duck egg. This caused all the waterfowl angst and gathered off shore to mob it. This helped with the count. Luckily the Oystercatcher chicks had swam back on to their island otherwise they would have been doomed. Within minutes the gathering switched their attention to the otter than was acting like a purpoise jumping out of the water prior to diving.
Species count:
Moors : GCG. little grebe 3 +2ch. gadwall 4. tufted 71. Coot 69. lapwing 2 still sitting. oystercatchers 4 +2:2 chicks. Snipe. Common tern 7. herring gull pr. LBBG pr. kingfisher. swift 130-150. sand martin 2. swallow 5 . house martin 25. Cetti's 2. Sedge warbler 6. Reed warbler 8. Whitethroat. blackcap 2. chiffchaff 5. song thrush. Reed bunting 12 min

North Moors : sedge warbler 3. Reed warbler 6. Cetti's. Whitethroat. blackcap. chiffchaff 3. song thrush 2. mistle thrush. Reed bunting 4

Flashes yesterday

Started out at Hen pool, where Paul M and Terry W cut a patch of fresh reeds. This will allow views of the Marsh species found here. Immediately after the work a water rail walked through. Followed by good views of reed warblers and cetti's. A kingfisher shot past and reed bunting engaged in territoruak disputes.
On to the cuckoo hide where ducks, coot and avocet loaded and fed. Mallard and later the shoveler bring there chicks to feed in the outlet channel. 3 passage teal also dabbled. But a male shelduck wouldn't let any ducks pass the SE spit, well not without a fight . Unfortunately the Shoveler brood wad split up and several chicks were left to fend for themselves. It took 2 hours before the female was able to gather her chicks but I think one had been lost. Several reed warbler sang and fed in the reeds around the 1st Flash. From the main hide I noticed the nesting avocets in the meadow were flying on to the water in a mass panic. This happened at least 5 times and initially I suspected a fox was in there. The BHG too were very animated and finally I found the culprit. It was a Peregrine dropping on to juvenile BHG. I saw it fly off to the masts with one dangling from its talons. This disturbance forced the lapwing parents to take their chicks further towards the oak tree and difficult to locate. The cold wet weather also kept chicks in the long grass and I never counted all the chicks. But all appear to be big enough to be safe from avian predators Other than Peregrine, which was seen to take a small coot chick:eek!:

Species Count FLASHES :
Teal 3 (2 males ). Shelduck 7 or 8. ads plus 7 chicks. Gadwall 4. Shoveler 3 prs + 13 -14 chicks now 11days old.
Mallard at least 10 broods. Tufted 35.
Avocet 42 +1 chick. Redshank still sitting. Lapwing 14 saw 9 chicks but suspect all 10 are present. LRP 4. Oystercatcher 2 +ch. Coot 25 +4 broods. water rail. Peregrine. kestrel. Buzzard 3. Raven 2. kingfisher. swift 45. great spotted w. Swallow 12. pied wag. linnet 8. Cetti's. Reed warbler estimate - 6 /7 hen pool. 4 -1st Flash 2/3 -2nd Flash =12/14. Sedge w 1. chiffchaff 3. blackcap 2. song thrush 2 singing. Reed bunting 10 + singing or in territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back