• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern Id's in Merritt Island, FL (1 Viewer)

chaderz911

I'll guess Forster's Tern due to the coloration around the eye, the color of the legs, and the color of the bill. But I'll certainly defer to the experts since gulls and terns are not my strong point.

I like the idea of a skimmer...the red is missing in upper bill but that might be a winter characteristic, not sure. It looks a bit fat....a healthy skimmer but the white between beak and black head-cap match.

One looks like a clear cut Forster's but I'm less sure about the other 2 pictures

I agree with Foster's for the first link (Mystery Bird 3). I'm thinking the other two look like Gull-billed, one transitioning from winter to breeding plumage.

I do not get Skimmer from any. I've see skimmers in winter and they have black upper, plus the mismatched bill is unmistakable which is not evident in any of these photos.

They all look like 2cy Forster's Terns to me. Note the reddish legs and long bills, which should separate them from Gull-billed Tern.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back