• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2-3 days around Brisbane (1 Viewer)

Nohatch

Mad scientist
Hello all,

I have a couple of days pre-conference in Brisbane at the end of June and would appreciate some advice on where to go for a good variety of species. I will have just done 3 days birding in the Perth area before heading over to Brisbane, so ideally I'd like to visit locations with complementary bird lists.

I will arrive in the evening after dark (19:10 h) so don't know how feasible it is to pick up a car or even a small RV for a couple of days and still drive out of the city for an hour or two at night. Is it worth heading down to Lamington, or shall I just base myself in Brisbane and visit Mt. Glorious, the Lockyer Valley, Tinchi Tamba/Nudgee Beach etc. as day trips?
I'm tempted by that more sedentary option, but would I miss out on much by not doing a mini-min-road trip to say Lamington NP, Durikai SF and Lockyer?

Many thanks for your advice/opinions!

Joost

Hi Joost
I have a bit of experience of birding around Brisbane (three family trips in last 20 years). First thing, look at eBird, so much data from Australia and invaluable in planning visits. Lamington is good, I‘ve done it on a day trip from Brisbane before, but I also like Maiala up on Mt Glorious, which is much closer to Brisbane. While it doesn't have Albert's Lyrebird or Rufous Scrub-bird (the latter would be very difficult on a quick trip), it does have most of the rainforest species associated with Lamington, i.e. Regent Bowerbird, Satin Bowerbird, Green Catbird, Logrunner, Paradise Riflebird, Russet-tailed Thrush to name a few. It’s cold up there first thing in June though, hats and gloves weather I found.
Samsonvale to the north-west of the city is also a great area but I found access to the area around the lake more difficult on my last visit in 2014, a lot more seem to be fenced off.
I have to say my favourite day trip last time I was in Brisbane was out to Mosquito Creek Road, near Inglewood and then a quick stop in Durikai State Forest, where I got 4 lifers in the same tree. This is at least three hours west of Brisbane though, so a bit of driving is involved.
Lockyer Valley was also very worthwhile although I was lucky to have a very knowledgeable local in the passenger seat which saved me a lot of time in finding sites.
However, Brisbane is a very birdy city indeed and you'll see lots of birds staying close to the city.

Edward

Hi Edward, many thanks for the feedback! How are things on my beloved Iceland?
I've decided to stay in Brisbane and do day trips with the company and help of local birders (Birdingpal coming through for me again). I really wanted to hit the Inglewood/Durikai area but due to a schedule change (flight & conference) my time has been cut short. Next time for sure!

Joost

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back