• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Cool' Birding Destination (1 Viewer)

pduxon said:
Well Bulgaria sounded quite sensible to me. But if you are worried about the temperature what about Iceland?
Cheers Pete :t:

Glad someone still takes me seriously!

Save your money and go with the European suggestions, Lesvos or Turkey would be ideal.

If you plump for Turkey I can recommend at least a week in the Dalyan area, very close to Dalaman Airport, extremely cheap accomodation/food and fantastic birding in April that will test your skills but still present the spectacle of spring migration.

Try www.eurobirding.com for trip reports for most of the destinations mentioned.

I'd make that £3000 cover at least 3 - 4 trips!!

Darrenom said:
Funny that Edward, I was looking at flights to Reykjavik only yesterday and thought it a very appealing option. I'll be heading your way sometime in the next 6 weeks!

Couldn't eat a Puffin though!
I trust you were looking at Icelandair!

London to Reyljavik for 40 to 60 quid + tax. Check the website!

D'you know... I corrected and recorrected ReyKjavik enough times, you would've thought I'd've got it right in the end, I ask you!!!

Bjork eh.... there's one mad bird for you life list!

Hi Edward,
Edward said:
4. Food and drink is expensive but where else can you watch (hundreds and thousands of) Puffins by day and eat a couple of them by night. You have to have a very sensitive palate to distinguish Common and Brünnich's Guillemot on the plate though.

Did you put Killian to the test when he was in Iceland?I know that he found Ireland's only Brünnich's(in 1986),but how would he fare in the 'great taste test'?;)
Harry

Right, decision made! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.........even Karwin;)

Mirror..........funny!

Iceland it is, during mid-May. Thank you Edward for your kind suggestions and advice.

This means 3 things:

1. You'll all be safe from me for 10 days.
2. Simon will have to play with himself. ;)
3. Edward- lock up your women!

And Extremadura for Autumn migration.

Might even get my lifelist over 250!

Many thanks to all.

Regards,

Darren

I think if you want to stay in Europe and go way at the end of April/early May, then I agree that Lesbos would be an excellent choice. As well as warblers there are many other species to see, and the food and drink is good. Weather is pleasant, very rarely hot at the end of April.

Why not save your money for another trip further afield some other time.

Dawn Balmer

Karwin said:
Someone wiped the mirror clean, I see (though I'm colourblind). Yet one suggestion: to Rhodes of Greece in the end of april - I'll be there!
Karwin, think about it mate. You and me, in the same location? It'll be like a hatstand convention.

Still could be good. You wouldn't be blinded by the glare from my fluorescent handbag, which would be handy for keeping your Fishermans Friends in.

Darrenom said:
Karwin, think about it mate. You and me, in the same location? It'll be like a hatstand convention.

Still could be good. You wouldn't be blinded by the glare from my fluorescent handbag, which would be handy for keeping your Fishermans Friends in.
You could watch after our 2year birder, while I do the birding :bounce:

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Edward,

Did you put Killian to the test when he was in Iceland?I know that he found Ireland's only Brünnich's(in 1986),but how would he fare in the 'great taste test'?;)
Harry

Brünnich's Guillemots are very thin on the ground in winter in SW Iceland Harry so I don't think he got the chance to try. I only ever see them between May and early August, and besides, my palate has been ruined by putrid shark and rancid skate which is all the rage here.

E

If I had £3000 I'd definitely head out of Europe (can do that any time I've got a bit of spare cash).
My suggestion would be California... lovely climate, masses of birds, safe, all mod cons.
Australia is also a fantastic place for birding... getting your life list up to 250 would be as easy as falling off a plank.
India in December (not hot in the northern parts) is another possibility.
If you insist on staying in Europe, Cyprus takes a lot of beating, in my op. You could have three hols there for £3,000!
Have fun, wherever you go.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back