• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing humingbirds (1 Viewer)

Steve-O

Just a Guy
Hi all,

I've thought that humming birds were great since I was seven years old and saw one at my grandmothers columbine in northern Minnesota. I have never been in a good situation to have a feeder, but over the years have found some public places that placed feeders outside their windows for their patrons. Of course, here in MN, we only get the Ruby-throated Hummers.

One place, a resort/boat rental/restaurant/bar has six feeders and I have counted over 25 hummers there at one time. Another bar/restaurant has four feeders and is located on a bluff above a lake, if you get a window seat and look down the almost vertical drop (about 300 feet!) you might see a tiny speck that ZOOMS up to a dead stop - within six feet of you, feeds, and disappears just as quickly.

In the last couple of years I have turned my delight with birds into a hobby and have been surprised at the at the amount of hummers to be seen in local parks and woods. Learning the succesion of native/non-native flowering plants that they favor has been quite an education, much like butterflies.

Just this week I watched an immature RT Hummer visit EVERY bloom on a small clump of foxglove. Even better, I found three stands of touch-me-not (Jewelweed) each with it's own family of hummers. No positive sightings of males, they may be gone by now, but lots of females and imms.

I've been able to view the mating "display" twice in the spring and hope to see it again. Somehow, seeing hummers in the wild seems more satisfiying to me, I don't know exactly why. Maybe I enjoy the sound they make as the pass by my head, maybe it's the speed of their aerial battles...hard to say.

Oh well, beautiful creatures, whatever the reason.

Keep looking,

Steve-O

Boy, Steve-O, I can certainly share your enthusiasm for these feisty, fearless little jewels! We get four species where I live, although three are the most common (rufous, black-chinned and broad-tailed). The calliope is seen only occasionally and this year I haven't seen one at all.

I know what you mean about the sound. Except for the broad-tailed, whose wings produce a whistling whirrrrrrrr when it flies or hovers, the frenetic hummmmmmm of a couple dozen birds as they come in to feed is beautiful music indeed. Punctuated, of course, by the very audible SNAP! of the more territorial of the bunch delivering full body checks to those on "their" feeders! LOL! I could watch their antics for hours.

Thank you for such an enjoyable read on your own hummer encounters. They really are an incredible little bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back