• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just starting out... (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Over the last year I have started to become more and more interested in moths. Last year my parents bought a moth trap so I have been involved in some of their trapping and seems some smart looking moths. The in recent months I have been out with a local moth group to a couple of events and have now well and truly hooked.

So I've decided it is time to start trapping at home and seeing what my garden has to offer. I have ordered an MV light and am going to start out setting it over a sheet and then will look to build a trap in the future (this way gets me started sooner). Hopefully the light will be with me today and I can do my first at home mothing session this evening. I am really looking forward to seeing what lurks at the bottom of my garden...

Hi
Running a light over a sheet is a good way to start. Many people moth that way but they also place a few egg cartons at the base of the lamp for moths to hide in. Also, if you are working a trap you ought to take some precautions with your eyes. Never look directly at the bulb and, preferebly, wear eye protection (if you wear glasses that should be OK or even sunglasses to reduce the UV exposure.
I hope (expect) you will enjoy it.
Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for the tips, I have made my first attempt at mothing in the garden with a two hour stint under the trees at the foot of my garden. I was rewarded with a few moths, including three snouts which was nice and also the first green pug and yellow shell that I have seen this year. With the way I have set up I don't want to leave it running overnight until I can sort some shelter in case of rain but I will be giving it another couple of hours tonight. This time I am running in by the house to see if it makes much difference.

Hi
I'm mothing tonight as well, at my local patch (the trap's already running). Picked up the attached little beauty, swept from foliage. It's quite a scarce species.
I'll try to remember to post my list.
Martin

Attachments

• Stathmopoda pedella 24.vi.2016 swept from foliage.jpg
    Stathmopoda pedella 24.vi.2016 swept from foliage.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 71
I had some success - in two and a half hours I managed 20+ species including our first hawk moths (elephant and small elephant) - also got Tortrix viridana which I was hoping for, I am still working through some of the micros. Just stumbled upon a Dichrorampha petiverella in the garden which is another new one for me, must spend more time just wandering around.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back