• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Bird ID please (1 Viewer)

Yes, it's a Common Sandpiper. Notice the white spur extending up the side of the breast (a good distinction from Green Sand) and the rather long tail.

Thanks
The reason for asking is that there was a rare Sndpiper at Elmely today and I thought that this might have been the one, OH well.

Thanks
The reason for asking is that there was a rare Sndpiper at Elmely today and I thought that this might have been the one, OH well.

Hi Rob,

I guess you're talking about the Pectoral Sandpiper.... did you see it??

I was there myself on Saturday, and the bird was showing pretty well - it was close enough for good telescope views but a bit too far away for digi-scoping.... here's the best photograph that I could manage...

In terms of simple id features, note the distinct pectoral band between the dark chest and light belly (which comes to a point in the middle) and the bill is noticebly pale-based - even though this doesn't show up particularly well in my photograph....

Attachments

• Pectoral Sandpiper.JPG
    Pectoral Sandpiper.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi Rob,

I guess you're talking about the Pectoral Sandpiper.... did you see it??

I was there myself on Saturday, and the bird was showing pretty well - it was close enough for good telescope views but a bit too far away for digi-scoping.... here's the best photograph that I could manage...

In terms of simple id features, note the distinct pectoral band between the dark chest and light belly (which comes to a point in the middle) and the bill is noticebly pale-based - even though this doesn't show up particularly well in my photograph....

There were a lot of people in the Wellmarsh hide all going on about it, I did see it but by the time I had my camera ready, it had moved, the other problem was that it was to far away, there was one guy in the hide with a Canon 1DS MK11 with a 600mm prime with a TC on and I am sure he would have got good shots, but my lens was only a 100 400L and I would have had to crop at over 50% to even see it, that is if I knew where it was, well done for getting the shot that you got, the water level was very low keeping every thing farther away.
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back