• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom or fixed eyepieces (1 Viewer)

Luric

I need an advice concerning eyepieces versus the CP 4500.

We all know that CP 4500 has an 4X optic zoom.

If I use a zoom eyepiece, how do you manage your setup to take your picture? I mean, do you put the CP 4500 at full wide angle and after that you just "play" with the zoom button from the scope?

Do you use both?

Finally, this is my ultimate question: is it simple to use a fixed eyepiece?

Thank very much for your help!
Luric

Whatever you do, don't use the CP4500 at 4x zoom as the images will virtually always come out soft. I have occasionally taken decent digiscope shots at 4x zoom, but seldom are the results usable. I find it best to zoom up to 4x and then zoom back one notch of the LCD zoom bar.

With regards to eyepieces I can't help but feel it depends on the scope you buy. Kowa, Leica and Swaro I know have decent zoom eyepieces, other brands I'm not so sure, though Ziess and the likes of Nikon have good reputations.

As regards the scope zoom with the Swaro, most of my shots are taken at 30-40x zoom on a Swaro ATS 80 HD. 20x introduces slight vignetting and 60x often softish images. I recently bought the 30x fixed eyepiece which does have the edge over the zoom for picture quality and certainly for field of view.

I frame the shot with the eyepiece, attach the camera and use the zoom to adjust composition within the 2x-3x range.

Provided you have a decent scope the fixed eyepieces are I think far easier to use for digiscoping. The zoom eyepiece adds another component to take into account when taking a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back