• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV 80mm APO to Lumix G3 Prism Question - Any Takers? (1 Viewer)

Tord,
I have the same setup as you, and I get infinity with a 50mm + a 25mm Macro tube, but it is close! I don't think I would get away with an 80mm tube, but then, if it works for you it must work for me. Paul's gutted Barlow tube has the same advantage as my gap-filled extension. I can easily gain 20mm without loosing anything in stability.

@ Paul "I use an empty GSO barlow tube for my main ext tube"

I have one of those that came with the scope. but it's a 1.25"?

@ Paul "I use an empty GSO barlow tube for my main ext tube"

I have one of those that came with the scope. but it's a 1.25"?

Mine is a 2" ED GSO barlow, see image here for how I have it set up as an extension tube. This is an old photo and I don't use the actual glass element as shown in this image. Only reason for that is because after many years of use the threads have stripped out of my 2" scope adapter. http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=193876&d=1240921694

Tord, the reason I can get away with 50mm may be because I have the old SW80ED scope which has a different focuser to the new Black Diamond dual focuser. Probably different amount focus travel or something.

Paul.

Still a bit confused

I know I was cautioned not to get too worried about measuring but just for references sake...

The distance from the end of the focus tube to the center line of the diagonal, when it's in place, is 1.75 inches. = approx. 44.5mm.

Theoretically, I'm told, (true, not true... I don't know) that this is the correct distance for the camera's sensor to be.

One type of short adapter/T-ring combination device adds 10mm when attached. If I get the ring that also has that sensor device (AF Chip) that enables partial use of auto-focus, I think that's probably another 10mm... just guessing and don't know.

The Antares Barlow, as an example, is 47.1mm.

A Barlow has a metal tube that is inserted and secured with compression screws, but lacks a safety undercut. If I adapt more, for physical security of the camera etc... will I even need a spacer tube?

Sometimes, maybe more often than not, I may not opt to use the Barlow or some other element, so a solution might be these threaded spacer tube assemblies with four elements from 5mm to 20mm?

How important is that AF chip you all have been installing?

I know... I'm a pain. Tomorrow I order the adapter... and whatever else I think I can afford this month.

I still have a monster, dovetail/clamshell that doesn't allow my hood to fully retract, and an alt/az tripod that has to be replaced with a more field worthy tripod. Also want a sliding rail, to balance the whole affair.

I'll be standing in the Soup Line in no time. Well, it won't be the first time I had to "Sing for my Supper."

Last edited:
I'm aware of that

My bad. I meant AF chip.

Ah... just read... no mirror, no AF confirm

Hey.... I'm trying here.

Last edited:
Tord,
I have the same setup as you, and I get infinity with a 50mm + a 25mm Macro tube, but it is close! I don't think I would get away with an 80mm tube, but then, if it works for you it must work for me. Paul's gutted Barlow tube has the same advantage as my gap-filled extension. I can easily gain 20mm without loosing anything in stability.
This is interesting. I am 100% certain I get infinity focus with a 80mm tube. Adding 25mm extra disables infinity focus. What kind of adapter are you using? Are you using a T-adapter? I think I am using the same as Cango, i.e. http://www.telescopeadapters.com/true2_nikon.htm. Maybe the one I use adds less length than a T-ring adapter?

This is interesting. I am 100% certain I get infinity focus with a 80mm tube. Adding 25mm extra disables infinity focus. What kind of adapter are you using? Are you using a T-adapter? I think I am using the same as Cango, i.e. http://www.telescopeadapters.com/true2_nikon.htm. Maybe the one I use adds less length than a T-ring adapter?

Are you using the new Black Diamond SW80ED? I have the old gold one with the single speed focuser. I use a T-adapter and that adds 8mm overall.

Paul.

Actually I should get it. With a 50 + a 25.5mm Nikon extension I have the locking ring on the focus tube screwed out a little so that infinity is all the way in. Mine is a Black Diamond with a microfocuser in stead of the stock focuser. The focuser has no effect on the infinity setting anyway, it just moves the tube.

Those adapters look good. I have just a standard T2 with a Nikon bayonet and then a Nikon-4/3 adapter.

Last edited:
The focuser has no effect on the infinity setting anyway, it just moves the tube.

different scopes (80ed-style) might have different lenghts from the front glass to the focusers rear end - depending on what kind of focuser is used. Therefore the same 50mm ext tube will act different (lenght wise).

So the math was just not knowable, even if I could get my head around itl due to the variety in scopes, focus-er tube lengths etc..

I got the T-minus adapter on that web site, as well as the extension. I opted for the 40mm, thinking it may well change later, and having read what you just wrote, Cango, I'm glad I did. I think my budget is blown for the month, but next week I get to put it together and learn more.

thanks everyone

Got the adapter and extension tube today

The other day I had a bird show up, that I didn't recognize, about 175 yards from my deck, in a rocky beach area. I tried to get a photo for ID purposes, but it was just too far, too soft and fuzzy. That was with the G3, and big deal 300mm lens. I "Googled" "freshwater Sandpiper," and based upon shape, got an idea what it might be, a "Solitary Sandpiper."

Tonight, in failing light, I took some photos of ducks, through the scope, with the adapter and extension tube. This is the exact spot, where I could barely make out the Sandpiper in broad daylight. I'm very happy. Thanks for your patience and support, ya'all.

I do need a longer extension. The focus tube is all the way out, with the 10mm adapter and 40mm extension. I have a longer one coming.

Well, that's it for me for now. If you've read this far, thanks again.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 67
100mm extension including 10mm Adapter

I can focus 20 feet or 300 yards away - haven't tried any airplanes or vistas yet. This ridiculous astronomical tripod needs to go, and I should get a better focus-er, but I'm overjoyed with the results.

What a fabulous way to go. 80mm Stellarvue Blackhawk with the Lomo APO upgrade glass, with the Panasonic Lumix G3. All, pretty much over a long period of time, on the "bargain basement" plan, sacrificing no small amount to acquire. It's been well worth it.

The dear widow that comes to visit me, is a photo shop whiz, so when I get my gnarly old hands on a copy of Adobe, I should be on my way, Just in time for migration, and so much cool new stuff to learn.

Footbridge and purple flower at 200 yards - Pie-billed Grebe in non-breeding plumage, at 75 yards.

Attachments

• grebe2.jpg
    grebe2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Copy of Grebe75yards.jpg
    Copy of Grebe75yards.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Hybelos Bridge.jpg
    Hybelos Bridge.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
SeattleDan, congratulations for your buy. It seems to be a great scope, for sure optically better than my TV76 so... it has to be breathtaking to see through it with a quality eyepiece.

With the G3 it must be a killer mix for daytime photography. Please search information in this forum about flocking your extension tubes to increase contrast and to avoid reflections in the daytime, and also about playing with diaphragms, and you'll have in your hands an optically better device that most of the standard tele objectives that you could find over there, at a cheaper price.

I don't know well the SV set of scopes, but it seems that yours doesn't have the feather touch focuser, is that right? and the flattener? Could you please link us the model you got?

@cruedag:

I was lightly perusing your post on diaphrams while you were here posting. I don't know enough to ask a good question, more often than not. I don't have the feather touch dual speed focuser, but, I'm getting one in a few weeks. I couldn't find a link for precisely my scope, because the upgrade it has is not available anymore, I think. It's a Stellarvue 80mm f6 Nighthawk 1010 that started life as an achromatic, now, with an Apo upgrade using Russian Lomo glass. The extension tubes came with flat black flocking from CNC and from Orion.

It was very early morning on that pond with the Sun from low left... lots of reflected light. Yes, with the eyepiece in, first peek in good light, sold me. I was astounded. There is no field flattener. I'm not sure that I need one for terrestrial viewing from something I read, at some previous time... but it's all new to me. I'm not even sure what one does.

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Last edited:
@cruedag:
There is no field flattener. I'm not sure that I need one for terrestrial viewing from something I read, at some previous time... but it's all new to me. I'm not even sure what one does.

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

You wouldn't need a field flattener for viewing with an eyepiece as the eye doesn't pick it up as a camera would. It's more of a photography tool, especially when photographing stars where you want them to be in focus across the whole field of view. In terrestrial photography it's not so important but you may notice some edge softness in things that run parallel to the camera across the whole frame, like a fence, wall or tree branch.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back