• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holy Grail - made in USSR (1 Viewer)

mnich

I came to the conclusion that this model of binoculars was a better investment than gold, why?
Buying a new binoculars from the seventies it was the cost - per USD - about 20 USD.
Today on ebay rates go up a few hundred euros, if the equipment is in perfect condition.

DSC08136.JPG

DSC08135.JPG

DSC08139.JPG

DSC08142.JPG

DSC08122.JPG

That's the wideangle KOMZ, isn't it?

I could kick myself I didn't get one years ago, when they were still easy to find.

Hermann

mnich,
You should have bought ten at least.

They are good, except for excessive ghost images of bright light sources.

A bit like the Narciss camera.
£14 at Dixons, then £500, now maybe £150?

I have the same one, there is a slight difference in the style of focus knob to the one in the link, but it seems to have a very good FOV. I actually have two, so one might be going soon.

Attachments

• RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24.JPG
    RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Hello Ben,

I see that your copy is from the same year.
The first two digits of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture

Hi Mnich, thanks, my one has a couple of issues. there are a couple of cosmetic marks, one to the front and 2 small flat spots on the left objective ring, see the photo's. They seem to still be sought after though, I saw a really rough one go for £160 sterling last week on ebay.
Ben

Attachments

• RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24-5.JPG
    RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24-5.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 275
  • RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24-3.JPG
    RUSSIAN-KOMZ-6X24-3.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 224
Hi Mnich, thanks, my one has a couple of issues. there are a couple of cosmetic marks, one to the front and 2 small flat spots on the left objective ring, see the photo's. They seem to still be sought after though, I saw a really rough one go for £160 sterling last week on ebay.
Ben

Ben,

If I may say so, you were really scratching to find those scratches!;)

Bob

Ben,

Your model is really in excellent condition, it happens from Russian factories they come out worse ....
A good producer could produce something similar with the modern optics. Somewhere I have seen Chinese fakes the binoculars, I just can not remember where .... looked identical, only the lens coating reflected on green - I know - unless someone a few years ago exhibited on eBay - from Hong Kong...

Last edited:
Bob, mnich, thanks, nice to know you feel they are in good shape, I do tend to take a lot of notice of little blemishes, more than I need to I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back