Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Scilly Trip

Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 18:08   #1
Cliff1002

Scilly Trip

Am planning a week long visit, first week of October, only been once before for 3hrs for the heron earlier in the year.
Hoping to do B&B somewhere close to Hugh Town.
Is there somewhere birders currently meet (cafes or pubs) to share news/insight etc as I'm travelling alone and it would be handy getting the lowdown from any experienced birders. Any tips or advice would be warmly welcomed. More than happy to join any other crews who will be on the islands that week as an extra pair of eyes and ears may help? PM me if interested.
Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 18:35   #2
Jon Turner

The log is read in the Scillonian Club each night. Or it was! There are info boards chalked with the latest news fairly regularly. If you see someone running, follow them!
Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 22:03   #3
Cliff1002

Thanks Jon, I will check it out and make sure I pack my trainers! I'm guessing there is no need to hire a car out there but can you hire bikes for getting around?
Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 22:32   #4
wheatearlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff1002 View Post
Thanks Jon, I will check it out and make sure I pack my trainers! I'm guessing there is no need to hire a car out there but can you hire bikes for getting around?
As far as I recall there are no cars to hire! Believe bike hiring is possible and there are taxis if needs must, but walking is the best option IMHO. You could 'trial' a messaging service to your mobile for a week... or just hang around people with pagers
Old Wednesday 2nd September 2015, 22:45   #5
devon.birder

Getting the community bus time table from either the bus driver or the town hall is handy at times. It runs fairly regularly and can get you from one end of the island to the other quite quickly. Roger
Old Thursday 3rd September 2015, 07:08   #6
Jon Turner

Definitely walk. It's always beautiful, enjoy the scenery. It's not that far, I've done 20+ autumn trips and never had a lift anywhere.
Old Thursday 3rd September 2015, 07:35   #7
MSA
I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....

Have you booked anything yet? I don't think there are as many places open into October as there used to be - also flights tend to fill up quickly (may already be so) but I guess the Scillonian usually has spaces - also good for a bit of seawatching en route.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd September 2015, 22:05   #8
Cliff1002

All
Thanks for the info to date, have managed to book flights from lands end and a B&B in Hugh Town. Walking will be fine, thanks re the bus info. I don't have a pager but do have the bird guides app on my iPhone, assuming I can get a signal out there, if not I'll follow the people that are running!
Cheers Cliff
Old Tuesday 15th September 2015, 10:56   #9
Birding Rover

Quote:
All
Thanks for the info to date, have managed to book flights from lands end and a B&B in Hugh Town. Walking will be fine, thanks re the bus info. I don't have a pager but do have the bird guides app on my iPhone, assuming I can get a signal out there, if not I'll follow the people that are running!
Cheers Cliff
Phone signals can be a little iffy. Vodafone the best. If you think you make a return visit, maybe a good idea to invest in a WalkieTalkie, forgot what they go for, you can get them from the Log.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2015, 13:19   #10
JoanT

Quote:
All
Cheers Cliff
I doubt you will have enough signal for apps in many places
Old Wednesday 16th September 2015, 13:12   #11
dogfish

And nobody runs on Scilly any more. We're much too cool for that. Or old, possibly
Old Friday 18th September 2015, 13:09   #12
Cliff1002

Bit the bullet and invested in the new RBA QUAD X35 pager....hopefully that will do the trick!
Phew I'm glad about the no running bit as I'm no spring chicken!
Old Friday 18th September 2015, 16:49   #13
Jon Turner

It was the hot sweaty walks that kept us going..... Worth it though when there was Eye-browed Thrush, Chimney Swift, Black-and-White Warbler, or take your pick of many others over the years!
Old Tuesday 17th November 2015, 13:02   #14
Cliff1002

Am off back to the scilly isles on Friday until tuesday, will the recent storms bring anything in...fingers crossed.
If you were restricted to just St Marys which locations would you fancy to turn up something? Garrison? Lower Moors?
Old Tuesday 17th November 2015, 13:15   #15
TomGoose

Yes, theyve brought in a lesser scaup. surprisingly the only the 2nd for Scilly. Check out the scilly spider blog, very good for updates - mainly on st.marys - http://scillyspider.blogspot.co.uk/

Have a great time, its great at any season!
Old Wednesday 18th November 2015, 17:08   #16
Cliff1002

Thanks Tom

i already follow Spiders blog and will probably accost him on the island for info...
Just dug out the last 8 years worth of Scilly Birds and Natural History Reviews to do my homework
cheers
Cliff
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: