• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope ED 82 having lost waterproof sealing (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hello all

my excellent Nikon Fieldscope ED82, bought as used in excellent optical conditions, has however proved devoid its pristine waterproof sealing.

Not a really big problem itself to me (I use it in raptor watching and rainy days are not good for migrating raptors...) but should I decide to repair who should I send it? Directly to Nikon Europe (I live in Italy)?

Has someone ever experienced this fault?
If so, which would be the times and the repairs costs?

Thank you

Have you determined where the water is coming in?
Have you checked/replaced the O-ring on the eyepiece?

Kevin
Not exactly. Some months after buying it in used conditions, I deliberately kept it in the rain for 30-40 minutes just to check its waterproofness: it showed an internal condensation behind the objective that disappeared after exposing directly to the sunlight.
How can I check the O-ring effectiveness on the eyepiece? I own different fixed WF eyepieces (30x DS and MC, 38x MC, etc).
Thank you

OK, with this latest bit of info we can conclude there is a breach somewhere in the body of the scope. The nitrogen is gone and water can get in. If you want this to stop it needs repair and I would contact Nikon as to the wheres and the hows.

I asked about the O-ring as, without knowing where the moisture gathered before, water can get past the O-ring if worn or just old. O-rings change shape over time from just being compressed. There is, of course, a glass window that separates the EP chamber from the rest of the scope so IF water entered the scope past the eyepiece it should not enter the scope body.

Two ways I use to check O-rings are visual examination and feel.

The first is done by taking it off the EP and looking at it with a magnifying glass. Is it round in cross section or does it have flat spots?

The second (feel) method is when you are just about at metal to metal while screwing the EP down can you feel the O-ring being compressed? If you don't, replace it.

BTW, you don't have to get Nikon rings necessarily as long as you can match the diameter within reason and particularly the cross section diameter, hardware store O-rings will work fine.

If you decide to have Nikon repair it, ask them for enough O-rings for your EPs.

Last edited:
Saxatilis,

If you haven't yet, go read the most recent thread in the Leica sub forum about dismantling an Apo-Televid 77. It has useful information about nitrogen filling among others. The Fieldscope ED 82 can be opened quite easily, by just twisting the objective cell off the objective tube (the black part with the sliding lens hood from the yellow-green painted tube). You can then fill the scope with nitrogen as per the instructions given by Yves.

If you were to do this, before you start dismantling, make an alignment mark into the objective cell and the main tube so that when you re-assemble, you get the parts in exactly the same rotational orientation they were in originally. This is important because the optical elements in the objective cell and the focussing unit deeper in the tube need to be in the intended alignment.

But using a skilled technician is of course a safer bet.

Kimmo

Saxatilis,

If you haven't yet, go read the most recent thread in the Leica sub forum about dismantling an Apo-Televid 77. It has useful information about nitrogen filling among others. The Fieldscope ED 82 can be opened quite easily, by just twisting the objective cell off the objective tube (the black part with the sliding lens hood from the yellow-green painted tube). You can then fill the scope with nitrogen as per the instructions given by Yves.

If you were to do this, before you start dismantling, make an alignment mark into the objective cell and the main tube so that when you re-assemble, you get the parts in exactly the same rotational orientation they were in originally. This is important because the optical elements in the objective cell and the focussing unit deeper in the tube need to be in the intended alignment.

But using a skilled technician is of course a safer bet.

Kimmo

Great Kimmo
thank you! I had not read the thread concerning the nitrogen filling of the Apo Televid.
However I prefer to speak to a technician who might fix the problem.
But this is interesting indeed!

I need to say it, deliberately leaving any scope out in the rain is asking for trouble.

Why did you give it this trial?

Jerry

I need to say it, deliberately leaving any scope out in the rain is asking for trouble.

Why did you give it this trial?

Jerry

Simply because I knew it was a waterproof model and I wanted to test my specimen bought as used. In fact, although optically perfect, its waterproofness was defective.

And now you have your answer. Personally I would have just put it to normal use, and it would have most likely have been fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back