• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

P H

Can anyone say if the golden eagles at Hawsewater Cumbria can still be seen and whats the best time to go. My bro and me going for a weekend thinking around April/June. :t:

Can anyone say if the golden eagles at Hawsewater Cumbria can still be seen and whats the best time to go. My bro and me going for a weekend thinking around April/June. :t:

I went to Haweswater on 25th and 26th April last year and had great views of the male eagle. I haven't seen any reports of the bird recently but there were very few (if any) reports of the bird before my trip so it might be a case of going up there and hoping to strike lucky.

DS

Hey P H,

I know that there is only one Goldie resident at Haweswater these days, the female disapeared a few years back and has yet to be replaced.

Thanks guys I had heard there was only one male eagle myself. May go towards end of April.

I might be corrected but from my understanding the best time to see him will be feb onwards when he should be displaying above his territory, despite being alone..

I might be corrected but from my understanding the best time to see him will be feb onwards when he should be displaying above his territory, despite being alone..

Funny this,
White Tailed Eagles are being reintroduced into eastern scotland, eastern england and Wales.
Ospreys have been reintroduced at Rutland, (Publicity stunt, Osprey numbers have been skyrocketing all over Scotland for years and now wales is being recolonised, let them recolonise naturally at their own rate).
Red Kites into Eastern Scotland, the Chilterns, Yorkshire etc. (Why? they are doing great by themselves) yet nobody has even mentioned releasing a female bird at Haweswater.
Im saying a female bird should be released into the Lake District but i doesn't make sense to me, helping those that don't really need it.

The reasons for not releasing a female into the lakes are several.

1) There is only enough suitable territory for 1 breeding pair of eagles in the lakes, which is why there has only been 1 pair for several generations.

2) The flight displays above Haweswater can be seen by wandering GE's from MANY miles away. Remember these birds have far better eyesight than us and it actually magnifies to something like 3x. Also there have been Golden Eagles seen northern England this year but these arent generally released as breeding cant be discounted. If eagles are wandering then a mate is a good possibility.

3) The lone eagles at Haweswater have always attracted mates previously. There is a population in SW Scotland.

a counter to this last point is that the SW pop is doing really badly and has been persecuted.

4) A breeding population of several pairs in England is not viable so translocating an already stressed species (in terms of numbers) is detrimental to the Eagles long term conservation in Scotland. Perhaps re-establishing and conserving the Dumfries Eagles would serve better in attracting the lone Goldie a mate.

It also takes a minimum of 7 years for a released juvenile to reach breeding maturity (see www.goldeneagle.ie to see exactly what's involved in such a scheme). The male at Haweswater may be getting past his pirme by the time a female became ready to breed.

The Lake District is now so over-grazed and artifically manipulated that the habitat required for a proper release scheme would take immense resources to reinstate it. Having visited the Irish GE project (who think their habitat is marginal in places) sadly I can't see how any scheme would work here without many years of preparation and funding.

Hotspur's suggestion that we should concentrate on protecting and conserving what we already have in SW Scotland might be a better tactic. In time, if the conditions permit then GE's will re-populate the Lake District of their own accord.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back