• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review (1 Viewer)

Got it this morning and I am well pleased. Now I know what everyone was raving about - I can't understand how Nikon have done it. Very bright and FOV is great for such a tiny scope. Scope and Zoom for under the price of the new Swaro wide angle zoom eyepeice when that comes out. Brilliant value.

Cool

Good to see you are as happy as me, it is quite amazing how they have done it ain't it ?
I was so gutted about selling my Leica ! but not anymore !!!
You need to get the hand strap case to m8 i just got mine this morning and that is a great piece of kit to ?
Just like holding a massive pair of bins in ya hand ?

Have fum m8ty:t::t:

Oh yeah welcome to the "Giant Killers" LOL :t::t:

Last edited:
Steve, where did you get your Hand Case from please, and also - I assume you use the scope without a cover on the Tripod, as I understand the HH Case does not have a hole for a tripod?

Thanks

Geoff

Ladies and Gents,

Are you aware of how infectious all your "pro" ED50 chat is? Everytime I read a new post in this thread I end up checking Warehouse Express to see if they have them in stock........I fear the inevitable!!

Well, the smaller new scopes are handy. If I did not have a 65mm Pentax, I would probably have the Nikon. Now that I think of it, two scopes are better than one, so a 80mm Nikon and a 50mm is the best of all sets.

Steve, where did you get your Hand Case from please, and also - I assume you use the scope without a cover on the Tripod, as I understand the HH Case does not have a hole for a tripod?

Thanks

Geoff

Hello Geoff

I got the case from http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-nikon-grippa-hand-holding-case-for-the-fieldscope-ed50.htm it is very good and it does exsacly what it says on the tin.

It is a must if you have a ED50, and yes i dont use a case on the scope just the Nikon cover that came with the scope.

I might get the stay on case from Cleyspey next month as im going to North Norfolk for a four day birding fest :t:

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I might get one.
I have the one that came with the scope from InFocus. Having said that, you would not want to be taking the fixed on off and on to fit the Hand held one if it is anything like mine.

Geoff

Oh yeah and i have one of them Mule packs with the lunch box attached you have mentioned before LOL
Have you tried the ED50 with the Mule pack Steve? It seems a bit over the top but I am interested to know if it works in practice or if it is too much hassle. I usually keep my ED50 in its stay-on case inside a backpack with the tripod strapped on the back. Sometimes recently I have found that I can't be bothered to get it assembled to look at a bird. I can't really carry the scope over my shoulder on the tripod as I have a camera case slung over my shoulder and I start running out of hands. I wondered if the Mule case could replace the backpack and make the scope more accessible. Any thoughts?

P.S. I have a big birthday coming up and my partner doesn't know what to buy me!

Ron

mule

Have you tried the ED50 with the Mule pack Steve? It seems a bit over the top but I am interested to know if it works in practice or if it is too much hassle. I usually keep my ED50 in its stay-on case inside a backpack with the tripod strapped on the back. Sometimes recently I have found that I can't be bothered to get it assembled to look at a bird. I can't really carry the scope over my shoulder on the tripod as I have a camera case slung over my shoulder and I start running out of hands. I wondered if the Mule case could replace the backpack and make the scope more accessible. Any thoughts?

P.S. I have a big birthday coming up and my partner doesn't know what to buy me!

Ron

Hello Ron

Yes i have used the mule with the tripod and scope and it works great, and it works better than it did with the Leica as not as heavy, so i am walking with the tripods legs fully open and carrying it by the centre column.
And then when your on the move again just on she goes and you don't even know you have it on.
I have always used these type of carrying pods as you can always take your scope out, no more shall i or shall i not moments..
I cant praise them enough, get the mule and you will wonder how you did with out one.

And the mule comes with a bag that can carry quite a lot of stuff (sarnies) and there is a bottle holder as well, you can also carry the bag on its own by a strap supplied.

Hope this has helped (go on get one) you will be well pleased (trust me)

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 274
Thanks Steve, that is really helpful. It's useful having the photos of one with the ED50 too. I mentioned it to my other half and we are probably going to pay Cley Spy a visit this weekend so I can try one out with my tripod and my camera case as well. I think it could work well.

The good thing is that it would allow me to use my Opticron tripod which is nice and sturdy. I tried the scope on a lightweight Velbon CX-444 tripod which I have and, although it looked great, as soon as I touched the scope it vibrated and I couldn't see through it. I don't think it would be very good in windy conditions.

Thanks again for your help and happy scoping with the little Giant Killer.

Ron

I was birding at the local sewage pond this morning and as I was driving out, I spotted a gentleman with what appeared to be a miniature spotter!! I stopped to ask what scope he had, suspecting that it was a Nikon 50ED and it was!!! How absolutely tiny!! I weighs less than both bins I use to bird! He let me look through it and I was able to try both the 27 fixed and the 13-40 zoom that it came with. The zoom eye piece wasn't all that bad - it did darken as I increased the zoom, but the image remained clear. I am amazed at the size - I could pack it in my current camera bag!

I was birding at the local sewage pond this morning and as I was driving out, I spotted a gentleman with what appeared to be a miniature spotter!! I stopped to ask what scope he had, suspecting that it was a Nikon 50ED and it was!!! How absolutely tiny!! I weighs less than both bins I use to bird! He let me look through it and I was able to try both the 27 fixed and the 13-40 zoom that it came with. The zoom eye piece wasn't all that bad - it did darken as I increased the zoom, but the image remained clear. I am amazed at the size - I could pack it in my current camera bag!

Hi Lulubelle :t:

Go on treat yourself, you deserve it, get yourself one, you wont regret it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smoke:
I should get a discount for trying to sell these little scopes :-O

The best thing I have found about the 50ED is that it goes more places than the larger scope I used to have! The larger one I had before spent a lot of time at home. I just love the little Nikon because it is compact enough to take along with all the other stuff like bins or even a camera. No regrets here.

Hi Lulubelle :t:

Go on treat yourself, you deserve it, get yourself one, you wont regret it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smoke:
I should get a discount for trying to sell these little scopes :-O

If the Nikon reps followed the posts on BF like the Zen-Ray reps do, you might get some benefits from recommending their scope!! I still can't get over how small it was - it looked like a toy scope! I don't mean cheap, I mean the size! My Zen-rays & Promaster bins weigh 27 oz each - this scope weighs next to nothing!! He had it on a Manfrotto monopod (3 tiny legs on the bottom for balance), it retracted to almost nothing; would be sooo easy to stash & go! I am returning my Leupold Cascades, so that $ will go towards the scope of choice.
However, how does this scope do on a true beach situation where you are scanning for birds out to sea or shorebirds that may be farther out? How does it handle birds that are far out on large lakes? What kind of visual do you get then?

And I agree... I am worth a scope... I work hard to support my budding birding habit (and apparently new binocular habit!)...there is a scope in the future.....somewhere....o:D

If the Nikon reps followed the posts on BF like the Zen-Ray reps do, you might get some benefits from recommending their scope!! I still can't get over how small it was - it looked like a toy scope! I don't mean cheap, I mean the size! My Zen-rays & Promaster bins weigh 27 oz each - this scope weighs next to nothing!! He had it on a Manfrotto monopod (3 tiny legs on the bottom for balance), it retracted to almost nothing; would be sooo easy to stash & go! I am returning my Leupold Cascades, so that $ will go towards the scope of choice.
However, how does this scope do on a true beach situation where you are scanning for birds out to sea or shorebirds that may be farther out? How does it handle birds that are far out on large lakes? What kind of visual do you get then?

And I agree... I am worth a scope... I work hard to support my budding birding habit (and apparently new binocular habit!)...there is a scope in the future.....somewhere....o:D

Well first thing ! size don't matter :-O it is what you can do with it :-O

And i have not had the chance to use it over great distance yet ?
I cant say enough about this little scope, i think (i know) it is going to be a big hit for Nikon.
It is so light its a joke but still is very powerful and so far it has been fantastic, i have used it on my local marsh and it works very well, also i have done a lot of walking and don't even know i have it, i keep looking behind me to see it is still there :-O
It works really well with the mule, and i can even carry the tripod fully erected and use the scope straight away, not like my Leica which was a beast, and had to be slung over my sholder just to walk a short distance, i
know its not going to be everyones cup of redbull but for me its the best thing i have brought, other than my bins.

Yes looking out to sea will be a bit of a struggle but that will be know prob as my fellow birders all have larger scopes, but if you do lots of walking then there aint a new scope better that i know of.

I do a local guided walk and this scope is going to make it a real pleasure to go.

When you are ready to treat yourself to a new scope you must give this scope a test, it is really that good.

One more thing a good carbon tripod is a must as well.

Hi Steve, What are sarnies? You guys sure make me wish I had the little 50ED.
Regards,Steve

Hello Ron

And the mule comes with a bag that can carry quite a lot of stuff (sarnies) and there is a bottle holder as well, you can also carry the bag on its own by a strap supplied.

Hope this has helped (go on get one) you will be well pleased (trust me)

Thanks Ron, I thought it was sardines. :) I don't think that would catch on over here. I have said Whilst a few times whilst talking.:)
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back