• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Hairstreak at Ifield (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
The area near Ifield, West Sussex is supposed to be excellent for Brown Hairstreak but in a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon I drew a blank. Is there anyone who has visited this site and can give me some tips?

No reply to my somilar question re Torbay, but reading various books it may be that you were too early in the year and that late august early september might be a better time to see the Brown Hairstreak.

There is going to to a search for this species by members of the local Butterfly Conservation branch at Preston Down near Paignton on Sunday 30th August at 11 AM.

SW

Last edited:
I haven't been there (although I was tempted), but I assume you've seen this?
http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html (which shows it’s easy to miss, but does not give any more details, unfortunately).

I had one at Noar Hill last year (found by others), feeding on Hemp-agrimony. It is a very difficult butterfly... but they’re long-living, so you should still have a chance.

The area near Ifield, West Sussex is supposed to be excellent for Brown Hairstreak but in a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon I drew a blank. Is there anyone who has visited this site and can give me some tips?

They are often thinly spread and hard to find. Was almost ready to give up last Saturday at Cloatley Farm SSSI in North Wiltshire when we found a nice female at about ST997907 (almost bang on the grid ref for the SSSI!). I wrote some nonsense on my blog about it and BrH in general - a wonderful butterfly!

I have also seen BrH at Noar Hill in the past and at Rew Down in Sussex (mostly males at both) but for wings-open female photos now is the time.

Good luck, BR Mike

I was at Pulborough Brooks yesterday. As you go round the trail there is a sign pointing to a large ash tree, saying this is a place where brown hairstreaks gather. But I couldn't see any. Further round to the right (beyond the picnic area but before you get to the viewing platform (which I think is called something like Jesse's landing?) there is a small meadow full of knapweed with lots of butterflies. I noticed quite a few brownish butterflies flying around one tree at quite a height. They may have been speckled woods and I could not get a proper look at them, but I have a feeling that they may have been brown hairstreaks. Sorry, this is probably less than helpful! (Interestingly, despite the notice, brown hairstreak doesn't appear on the butterfly checklist that you can pick up in the visitor centre - though green, purple and white-letter do!)
I did at least see a nice small copper.
Ken

Attachments

• small copper exIMG_1179 (800).jpg
    small copper exIMG_1179 (800).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 107
Presumably round an ash tree they'd be mating and therefore high up. I was looking for egg-laying females low down on Blackthorn. Had another look yesterday. Nothing.

There are some not very friendly signs on the site, put up by the Homes and Communities Agency. I was speaking to a local about it, there is some dispute about ownership of the land and basically, the Agency want to build 2,500 homes on it. I don't think it's imminent at this stage but it sounds like the whole site might be lost eventually.

I might try Noar Hill, it's not too far away and it's on my to do list for next year anyway for Duke of Burgundy.

Presumably round an ash tree they'd be mating and therefore high up. I was looking for egg-laying females low down on Blackthorn. Had another look yesterday. Nothing.

There are some not very friendly signs on the site, put up by the Homes and Communities Agency. I was speaking to a local about it, there is some dispute about ownership of the land and basically, the Agency want to build 2,500 homes on it. I don't think it's imminent at this stage but it sounds like the whole site might be lost eventually.

I might try Noar Hill, it's not too far away and it's on my to do list for next year anyway for Duke of Burgundy.
Dear Clive & All

The Brown Hairstreak is back in force in Ifield Brook Meadows. We have fought off the developers, and the "not-so-friendly" signs are in the process of being dismantled - so 'they' say.

Park behind the Plough in Ifield Village, and enter the Meadows (in northerly direction).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back