• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird news for Florida (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
March 1st 2011

1st year male White-winged Scoter in Tallahassee the last few days on Lake Henrietta, which can be reached taking Springhill Rd south from Orange Avenue. Scoter is often found amongst Mallard/Lesser Scaup raft. WWSC is a rare inland visitor to Florida although they are regular in small numbers off the coast every winter. I have posted pictures of the scoter on my blog. Western Tanager (male) still present in my front yard as well. Pine Siskin yesterday also.

White-faced Ibis, Tallahassee

Reported from holding pond on Point View Drive near Canopy Oaks Elementary School, which is on the north side of town nr Lake Jackson.

1w Thayer's Gull still in Volusia County on Daytona Beach Shores.

I also posted video of the male Western Tanager that is visiting my yard this winter onto my blog.

Andy,

If the White-winged Scoter is still there on the 11th, I will try to pick that bird on my way to Pensacola. Hope it lingers a bit longer.

Let us not forget that there is also a continuing La Sagra's Flycatcher at Bill Baggs State Park, an Ash-throated Flycatcher in Kendall Indian Hammocks, and a Brown-crested Flycatcher at Lucky Hammock just outside of Everglades National Park all in Miami-Dade County. You can see four species of Myiarchus in one county in one day right now.

Carlos

Last edited:
thanks for posting Carlos. I hoped that other birders from Florida would contribute to this thread. Apparently the scoter wasn't seen yesterday I'm afraid. I'm going to look for the ibis on my way to work this morning so hopefully that's still around. I think it's only the 2nd or 3rd Leon County record!

Saw the White-faced Ibis at Point View Drive, Tallahassee this morning and was delighted to see another fly in with a bunch of White Ibis. Pictures and account of my morning on the ole blog. Link below.

Good idea, Andy. If the White-winged Scoter does not hang around, I'll take the White-faced Ibis as a consolation prize on my way up -- a good bird for my bird-a-day effort in Florida! I will try to keep things up to date for everything south of Lake Okeechobee here:

Canvasbacks: ten Canvasbacks seen on March 2nd at the new Wellington Environmental Preserve in Palm Beach county -- a very good waterfowl species for South Florida. There were also many Northern Pintail, an uncommon species in South Florida. Directions, as per the TAS board, from Florida's Turnpike in West Palm Beach, exit at Southern Boulevard (SR 80). Drive west 8 miles to Flying Cow Road. Turn left and drive south 3.5 miles to the parking area.

Carlos

Thayer's Gull continues as well as a Glaucous Gull at Daytona Beach Shores in Volusia County. A Glaucous Gull was also found in St. Johns County today at Matanzas Inlet. At least 1 White-faced Ibis was seen again today in Tallahassee.

Today in Tallahassee a Ross's Goose was present at Point View Drive retention pond along with the same 2 White-faced Ibis. 2 Purple Sandpipers in Volusia County today, on the north jetty at Ponce De Leon Inlet

March 6th 2011

Green-tailed Towhee still at Ft. Pickens in Escambia County. A 1w Kumlien's Iceland Gull at Hugeunot Park, Jacksonville. La Sagra's Flycatcher still in Miami-Dade County at Bill Bagg's State Park. A female Vermilion Flycatcher at Fisheating Creek WMA in Glades County.

Yellow-headed Blackbirds (3) at the Sem Chi Rice Plant in Palm Beach.

Dickcissels (5) at the C-357 Sparrow Fields in Miami-Dade.

Carlos

Long-billed Curlew at Fort De Soto still and the long staying Lark Sparrow in St. Petersburg. American Black Ducks (2) in Cockroach Bay. White-faced Ibis still present in Tallahassee but no sign of White-winged Scoter.

Macgillivrays Warbler in Miami-Dade County, found yesterday (March 12) by the C-111E canal near Everglades NP. An excellent rarity for the sunshine state.

La Sagra's Flycatcher still at Bill Baggs State Park in Miami-Dade County. 1w Thayer's Gull still present at Daytona Beach Shores in Volusia County as well as a 1w Kumlien's Iceland Gull.
A female Western Spindalis was at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Key West.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. I may try for the Flycatcher this weekend!

Go for it, it's a great bird to see in Florida! And you are welcome. I like looking at ALL birds but rarities are like the cherry on top of the delicious cake and who doesn't eat the cherry? If you see the flycatcher please let us all know.

9 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and 2 Western Kingbirds were seen in the Clewiston area yesterday on CR-835 north of the intersection of CR-833/CR-835.

A male Black-headed Grosbeak was seen in Seminole County on March 4th but hasn't been seen since.

A Yellow-headed Blackbird was seen just south of Lucky Hammock, nr Everglades NP yesterday.

The MacGillivray's Warbler is still present at the C-111E canal nr the Everglades NP.

Directions: Take the road towards ENP. After turning right at the prison, the road will curve left at Benito Juarez park (soccer field). The C-111E is the canal located before the next curve. Park on the north side of the canal and walk down the levee about 200 ft until the hammock on the left opens up. Walk down off the levee into this clearing and look for brush that's been pushed up against the edge of the hammock. The MacGillivray's was seen along the middle of this brush pile.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back