• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (7 Viewers)

A Mistle Thrush flew over Rowheath fishing pool making the same clicking noise this afternoon, landing in a large tree which was already occupied by Starlings and Redwings, then immediately turned as though it knew it was being followed. Within seconds, the tree emptied as a male Sparrowhawk appeared. This also landed briefly in the now-empty tree.

Yes this morning I could hear the Mistle Thrush clicking and the Blackbirds guarding their berry bushes.
A Hawk went past quickly mobbed by a crow in my back garden.

First light this morning at Bournville Valley Parkway boating pond the Heron was on the outflow.
There was plenty of snow and it was dead quiet.
The Kingfisher flew into the tree next to the outflow, over the Bourn. It did some hovering and flew around having a look. It flew off in a big arc typical of a Kingfisher. I couldn't see it's colours due to the low light.
Then a Little Egret flew over struggling in the wind.
I took a last look at the Bourn and the Kingfisher was low down over the water.
Great!

Last edited:
First light this morning at Bournville Valley Parkway boating pond the Heron was on the outflow.
There was plenty of snow and it was dead quiet.
The Kingfisher flew into the tree next to the outflow, over the Bourn. It did some hovering and flew around having a look. It flew off in a big arc typical of a Kingfisher. I couldn't see it's colours due to the low light.
Then a Little Egret flew over struggling in the wind.
I took a last look at the Bourn and the Kingfisher was low down over the Bourn.
Great!

RESPECT...for getting out in this snow....and the Birds showed up as well....will be quite hard to get out of our road for some time...

RESPECT...for getting out in this snow....and the Birds showed up as well....will be quite hard to get out of our road for some time...

Hi Keith. I'm surprised the Kingfisher keeps showing up on a short section of the brook, it's only 100 metres long. It was great the other weeks when it would fly past me calling in the dark/poor light in Bournville park. It did the two tone as well a few times. Very vocal. That really made me laugh.
The Little Egret was a complete surprise, that was a new one to me, it was flying quite low so I assume coming from somewhere local.

Last edited:
Late afternoon at Bournville Valley parkway boating pond outflow and the Kingfisher was right next to the Heron. I've never seen that before. There could only have been a metre between them. It really made me laugh. Great!

I remember when I started my Kingfisher craze I could never find one! Lol!
I went everywhere trying to find one, lol.
Then I found they were all along the Cole, then the Rea, then the Bourn Brook.
Now I've found a regular one on the Bourn and for the second day running it was sat next to the Heron on the outflow to the Bournville Valley parkway boating pond.
The light was so bad first thing I could barely see it, I could just make out the shape and when I went to take a photo of it I could barely see it at all, hence the bad photo. I still find it funny that's it's perched right next to the Heron. Great!
I think this is the tenth time I've seen it on this stretch and the fifth weekend in a row.
Also a couple hundred gulls on the pond then they took off. Two swans and as well as the Heron in the photo a couple more along the Bourn.

Attachments

• Bournville Kingfisher crop.jpg
    Bournville Kingfisher crop.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I remember when I started my Kingfisher craze I could never find one! Lol!
I went everywhere trying to find one, lol.
Then I found they were all along the Cole, then the Rea, then the Bourn Brook.
Now I've found a regular one on the Bourn and for the second day running it was sat next to the Heron on the outflow to the Bournville Valley parkway boating pond.
The light was so bad first thing I could barely see it, I could just make out the shape and when I went to take a photo of it I could barely see it at all, hence the bad photo. I still find it funny that's it's perched right next to the Heron. Great!
I think this is the tenth time I've seen it on this stretch and the fifth weekend in a row.
Also a couple hundred gulls on the pond then they took off. Two swans and as well as the Heron in the photo a couple more along the Bourn.

Brilliant...is it always the female ?

The Heron and Kingfisher were still in their correct positions yesterday morning around 9am.

Just got back in from a brief walk and there was a Heron walking around on the grass in Woodlands Park, at the back of the allotments. Not the first species I'd have expected to see in that park.

The Heron and Kingfisher were still in their correct positions yesterday morning around 9am.
Just got back in from a brief walk and there was a Heron walking around on the grass in Woodlands Park, at the back of the allotments. Not the first species I'd have expected to see in that park.

Nice one Rob, I must take a look at those parks again.
A quick stop at Valley Parkway this afternoon and I just saw the Kingfisher fly along the Bourn and then cut across the grass. Blink and I would have missed it. The other week I saw it take cover in the bushes which I thought was good. Great!

I see on Twitter there was a Kingfisher at Swanhurst yesterday. I always wondered if one was ever present there. It's not far from the Cole & Sarehole Mill pond where I've seen them.
In the early morning light this morning at Valley Parkway I could not find the Kingfisher.
Then it flew past me along the Bourn following the bens and stopped by the boat house.
Great!

Last edited:
I wonder if the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook visits here or if this is another;
When: 13 Dec 2017
Where: Edgbaston Pool / Winterbourne House (SP0583)
Who: ADW Tongue
What: Kingfisher (1)
Great!

This mornings Kingfishers; the Bourn Valley parkway (sat on the brook next to the pond).
Then finally a Kingfisher on the upper Bourn Brook walkway by the grey footbridge.
They are still working on the flood relief.
I've not seen one recently by the QE island.

First light at Bournville park, several Robins singing or clicking away.
Then on the Valley Parkway boating pond the Swan took off and had to fly round a few times to get height. It went over my head. Very impressive.
I could hear the Goldfinch.
I could not find the Kingfisher until I spotted it low down by the brook behind a tree stump. In the poor light I could just see the blue stripe down its back. Great!

It was a brighter start to the day at Bournville Valley parkway boating pond and the Kingfisher dazzled me with its blue colours as it flew past along the Bourn.
The Swan was back and a Mistle Thrush was clicking away in the tree.
On the Bourn Brook walkway first there was a Grey Wagtail and then the Kingfisher was perched over the brook in its favourite spot just down from the grey footbridge.
Great!
(I had a GSWP in the back garden and could hear a Green Woodpecker calling in the distance)

The Kingfisher was on the Bourn first thing this morning. Opposite the Woodbrooke.
The Kingfisher was on the Bourn Brook in the usual spot by the grey bridge. It gave a few calls but was not the typical Kingfisher call. A bit weak sounding.
Great!

First light at Valley Parkway, first the Herons came in.
Then the Kingfisher, it flew along the Bourn bends and gave a call as it went past the Heron on the pond outflow.
It sat in a tree and gave a few calls. Very vocal today. Most I heard it calling.
I thought I would leave it but went back for another look, glad I did as 2 Egrets were next to the Heron on the outflow. But they didn't hang around. In the distance the Kingfisher was still calling. It didn't seem to mind the higher flow or muddy water.

Mid-day I went out for a run along the Wood Brook, Bourn and River Rea to Canon Hill Park.
Plenty of Herons around and good to see the Cormorants at CHP.
The Kingfisher was still on the Bourn and one called on the Rea. (I always struggle to find one when the flow of the Rea is faster and muddy)
Ran back along the Bourn Brook. I got to the New Fosse way/QE island and was surprised to see another Little Egret next to a Heron.
Further up the Bourn Brook the Kingfisher was in the usual spot. It also didn't mind the higher flow and muddy water.
(Run 11 miles in total) Great day!

Last edited:
At first light, the Heron was already on the Valley Parkway pond outflow. The Bourn water level was really high, muddy and fast. The highest I have seen it. I was not expecting to find the Kingfisher.
As I went past the Heron I heard the distinctive call of the Kingfisher. I could not see it.
Then as I came back I could just see it checking out branches.
Not sure it could really fish in the very high Bourn.
Great!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back