• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

29th / 30th November.
A bumper Birmingham kingfisher weekend - with 4 sightings at the R. Cole, Sarehole - Edgbaston Reservoir - Digbeth Branch Canal / River Rea and the R. Cole, Kingfisher Country Park, Small Heath. Great!!

Sunday 1st Nov. Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 11:00
I've been checking for the past few weeks, but not seen the KF on the Bourn Brook since 1st Nov. The rain in November had made the Bourn Brook levels high and the water fast flowing and brown. This morning I felt the need for a quick blast on my bike along the Bourn Brook. I checked all the previous perches but no KF. I then gave up and was cycling back when just out of the corner of my eye I spotted the kingfisher on a perch over the brook. Great!! It was really close to the walk way. I stopped and tried to get a picture but it flew off. Also present several mallards, a couple moorhens, BBs, dunnock, robin, tits and a chaffinch.

Had one again Edgbaston Res and one at Sandwell Valley today

Hi PJ - yeah it's good that Edgbaston Res seems to be a regular. I was so pleased to it. The heron floated past, followed by the kingfisher with it's fast flight. A race to the fish!! I was pleased to see a couple at Sandwell Valley this year. Did you see it on Forge Mill? Here's the fruits of our labour - courtesy of BTO and an extra sighting by GPowell. (red is sightings in the last 30 days)

Attachments

• BTO KF Dec 8th 2014.jpg
    BTO KF Dec 8th 2014.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Friday 12th Dec. Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 15:00
Great to get Friday off with a bang - with a kingfisher sighting!! It was fishing on the brook, not far from the traffic and people walking past. It caught a fish and then flew further down the brook so I couldn't see it. I got a really bad photo using my phone.

Sunday 14th Dec. Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 12:00
Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook!! Nothing better than a local kingfisher and to get a photo. The water was perfect today for this KF, clear, slow and the right depth where it has a number of perches. I looked at the water first and thought yep perfect where's the KF, it was hidden on another perch and flew across to where I got this photo. It then went to fly through the tunnel but changed it's mind and flew back up the brook to the tree lined section. I'm pretty amazed it 's chosen this brook rather than the Rea which is 1.3 miles away. But as I said clear, slow water and another did spend it's winter on the Bourn Brook further up at WVCP back in 2012/2013. (I didn't find the Digbeth Rea KF today)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15396486804/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Sunday 21st Dec. 2014 River Cole, Kingfisher Country Park, Small Heath 08:00
It was murky light and I was worried I wouldn't be able to see a KF. No worries, I heard the distinctive shrill whistle chi-keeeee a few times and a kingfisher went past. Then it gave a few single calls as it went back. Great!! Heron also present where the KF initially came from, similar to the R. Cole by Sarehole. (No KF sighted on R. Rea, Digbeth or Bourn Brook, Selly Oak)

Saturday 27th Dec. Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 15:00
I found the Bourn Brook Kingfisher again today. I was able to observe it on a few perches along the brook. Great!! Also a couple mallards and moorhens.

Last edited:
KINGS NORTON NATURE RESERVE.....on the river Rea at the overflow area into Wychall Resa.
I was standing on the wooden bridge and trying to look down stream but could not see at all so stepped down by the metal gated part which gives a bit lower angle....just got the bins up and a King flew down stream followed by another....they looked like they came from around the bricked section that diverts the water down stream.......it was around 3pm and I wonder if they had settled down for the night. Had both in view at same time as they were beak to tail.
My 1st King on the Rea in over 35 years of looking.......hope they are Mr and Mrs of 2015 and I can see them more often.

About 20 Teal in the resa - dabbling in the surprisingly non frozen shallow water but no Goosanders on Meercroft but the Tufted were up to over 30 ...mainly Males.

KINGS NORTON NATURE RESERVE.....on the river Rea at the overflow area into Wychall Resa.
I was standing on the wooden bridge and trying to look down stream but could not see at all so stepped down by the metal gated part which gives a bit lower angle....just got the bins up and a King flew down stream followed by another....they looked like they came from around the bricked section that diverts the water down stream.......it was around 3pm and I wonder if they had settled down for the night. Had both in view at same time as they were beak to tail.
My 1st King on the Rea in over 35 years of looking.......hope they are Mr and Mrs of 2015 and I can see them more often.

About 20 Teal in the resa - dabbling in the surprisingly non frozen shallow water but no Goosanders on Meercroft but the Tufted were up to over 30 ...mainly Males.

Nice one Keith, I saw one along there the other day. There are a few about on the Rea and it's tributaries.

Friday 2nd Jan 2015
Mill Shrub-Lower Bittell.
Around midday a King scullking around low in the trees next to road.

Kingfisher Friday

Friday 2nd Jan 2014
Three Kingfisher sightings today;
No.1 - Bourn Brook, Selly Oak, 11:00
No. 2 - River Tame, Spaghetti Junction, 13:00 - I never imagined I would see a kingfisher under Spaghetti Junction. It was funny because only minutes earlier I said to myself 'I'll never see a kingfisher here, the waters too murky'. And next minute a kingfisher flew past.
No. 3 - River Rea, Selly Park, 15:00 - I first saw it on a section before Canon Hill park - then it flew under the Dogpool Lane bridge, up the River. I know many people have seen KF along this stretch of the River Rea but it could be 10 years since I last saw one here. Usually see them at Kings Norton / Wychall Reservoir. I thought there would be one along this section, guarding it from the Bourn Brook KF above.
It was a great day!!

Last edited:
Sunday 4th Jan 2014
Two Kingfisher sightings today;
No.1 - Bourn Brook, Selly Oak, 14:00 (also bullfinch and finches present, Friday there were goldfinches present)
No. 2 - River Rea, Selly Park, 14:30 - I had a very quick run along the Rea looking for the KF. Surprisingly I found it sat fishing in a culvert pipe that could only have been five or six inches in diameter. (funny how I've looked for KF for years along this section with no luck and have now found one twice in a few days - great!!)

Last edited:
Must have been a 'fall' of Kingfishers 3:)

Saw one at Belvide on Friday, one at Chasewater yesterday and one at Doxey today. Back to work tomorrow so hoping for a sighting along Brierley Hill canal.

Meercroft this morning as the sun gave way to the freezing fog.
Flew from right behind island and parked itself in bush by gardens.
Waited ages and it would not move and I was SO froze (in the fog) so went home.

Attachments

• New Canon 153 167 a low.jpg
    New Canon 153 167 a low.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 98
  • New Canon 153 167 low.jpg
    New Canon 153 167 low.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 114
Meercroft this morning as the sun gave way to the freezing fog.
Flew from right behind island and parked itself in bush by gardens.
Waited ages and it would not move and I was SO froze (in the fog) so went home.

Hi Keith - glad you saw one there, I recognise that location in your photo and I've seen one perched there before!! Hope you recovered OK!!
This was my shot in the sunshine
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15474634463/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back