• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth trap issues (1 Viewer)

Adam M

Hello all,

I have reached my portable attinic out after a winter in a cupboard. I set it up yesterday and decided to test it, by sticking my finger over the light sensor. I didn't come on.

I then took it into a dark room, stuck my finger over the sensor and it came on. However, the bulb flickers something terrible. Hardly on at all and then very quick flashes of full power.

Any ideas if it is the electrics that have gone (maybe suggested by the light sensor apparently being unresponsive)?

Or if the light is on its way out (one end of the bulb is black/dark which I seem to remember is some sort of issue)?

Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome.

Adam

Hello all,

I have reached my portable attinic out after a winter in a cupboard. I set it up yesterday and decided to test it, by sticking my finger over the light sensor. I didn't come on.

I then took it into a dark room, stuck my finger over the sensor and it came on. However, the bulb flickers something terrible. Hardly on at all and then very quick flashes of full power.

Any ideas if it is the electrics that have gone (maybe suggested by the light sensor apparently being unresponsive)?

Or if the light is on its way out (one end of the bulb is black/dark which I seem to remember is some sort of issue)?

Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome.

Adam

I take it this is a fluorescent lamp. If the ends are black the tube is worn out. The flashing is probably caused by the starter trying to light it. I would get a new lamp and a new starter.
I am an electrician and would always fit a new starter when changing a tube, a worn starter will shorten the life of a tube.

Lewis

Hi

It does sound like the tube is on its way out. However, it is sometimes caused by corrosion (oxidisation) on the terminals of the tube, or in the lamp holder. I'd try clesning them first.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back