• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 7x42 eyecups (1 Viewer)

Staedtler

Just bought, from the auction site, a pair of 7x42 Habicht binoculars. Leather armoured. Mint condition. For a good price.

They feel really nice in the hands. Seem really well made. The view is, I think, really good.

But what do you mean - 'I think' - I hear you all asking? Well, the eyepieces are really small. So they just jam into my eye sockets. I can feel my eyelashes against the glass, can't really get a comfortable view. If I try holding them 'the correct way' it's all wobbly, holding against eyebrows is awkward etc. etc. I want bigger eyecups. Like on my dad's ancient Swift Supreme's or on my Nikon Action Ex's

Somebody, somewhere, once said the rubber eyecups from the GA, armoured, version, will fit. Is that true? Like, anybody actually done it. If so I'll get some from Swaro and try it. If it looks weird I'll either live with it or sell these and buy the GA version, even if I have to buy a Panzer tank to complete the look!

Or, does anybody know any aftermarket eyecups that'll work with these bins.

Many thanks, Mikeymo

If the 7x42 had a wider field of view I would have tried one by now I think.

I do have the Habicht 8x30 and the eyecups take some getting used to. At first I held the binocular with my index fingers resting on the eyecups and used them to control the position. Now I find that I am just used to them and find the position without thinking about it too much.

I have used the Baader medium sized winged eyecups and they can be useful. It is a matter of personal taste.

Attachments

• IMG_0907 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0907 - Copy.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 433
Mike I feel they may be the pair I was watching as well. I agree they were a good price and I really gave them consideration but I`v been burned too often now buying optics I`v no experience with and decided to wait until I can try a pair first however trying this becomes, sadly this applies to the UV and EDG 7x42.

Hope you can learn to position them or create a fix.

How do you find the fov compared to your Bga ?

John.

Hi John

They were on a Buy It Now. I paid £331, delivered. They do look absolutely mint. They're either unused, or the seller got a new strap, because that I'm sure is new, still had the elastic band round it, and creased as though it's never had any weight on it.

Yes, I know what you mean about buying without trying. I sent the Imagic BGA SEs back to Uttings because I didn't like them. I try not to make a habit of that, I think it's a bit of an abuse of retailers, to be honest, if one does it a lot. But I am very particular about opening things carefully, keeping every bit of packaging and so on, handling the product carefully and so on. So I'm sure they can resell without a problem.

The Habichts was a semi impulse. I'd been thinking about taking the risk on a new pair. But at that price I thought I can't go too wrong with used. Swarovski's reputation for customer service hopefully means if there was a problem it would be sorted out free/cheap. They'll retain value, if for no other reason than it's 'classic' binocular look and it says Swarovski on them. I'm guessing that I could resell them immediately for the same money, or let Ffordes or Kay Optics or somebody sell them for me on commission. Even if I'm made a mistake, it won't be an expensive one.

Optically? Very good. Did some comparisons with my father's Swift Supremes (8x40). A little better, but the little better that marks the difference between good and excellent. Quite a bit better than Nikon Action EX 7x35s, and Vortex Raptor 8.5x32s. Clear across the field, very sharp, very bright.

At the moment I don't really mind the narrow FOV, but I can understand why some people would.

Compared to the BGA SEs? Probably better optically, a little. But at least I can getter a proper view through them, eventually. Whereas I couldn't make the Imagics work at all.

But that optical quality is offset by the fussiness, at the moment, of using them. Admittedly I did some 'practice' with the wrapping fingers around ocular and pressing thumbs into side of head technique. And actually started to get the hang of it. Sort of. So they might be OK.

They are beautiful to look at though. And to hold. For 7x42s they're really compact and light. But still feel really sturdy. And I like Swarovski's design approach. No objective covers, a slim real leather strap and a simple rain guard. Basically they're saying to you - 'here's the best sight you can get, they won't go wrong, just use them'.

As I can't return them, and I'm not desperate for the money, I'll just keep them, at least for a few weeks, and see how I get on. I've ordered some Baader wing cups and I'll see if that helps. I'll probably try to get a pair of the GA eyecups from Swarovski, and see how I get on with those.

I have had the Habicht 8x30 and the 7x42 and I had the same problems you are describing with them. The 7x42's were worse and of course they have a narrower FOV also. Small hard uncomfortable eyepieces and not much ER leading to greasy spots on the eyepieces from my eyebrows. Cool binoculars and great optics but too fussy for me. I got rid of them both. How is the focus? Habicht's usually have REALLY hard focus wheels. The winged eyecups don't help much and I really don't care for them. The Habicht's just aren't a very user friendly binocular. Gimme my Swarovision.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back