• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best waterproof 8x~32 for less than $200 (1 Viewer)

elkhorn98

Best waterproof 8x~32 for less than $300

I know I am trying to be cheap but is there a good waterproof, fully coated, lightweight, and 8x around 32 out there?

Last edited:
elkhorn98 said:
I know I am trying to be cheap but is there a good waterproof, fully coated, lightweight, and 8x around 32 out there?

If you want a roof prism bin, then you are probably out of luck, though the Nikon 8x36 Sporter (water resistant) has its fans. Cheaper roofs are not phase coated and the image tends to be a little soft. Nikon usually have good coatings even in cheap instruments.

If you want a porro prism bin, then many are okay at that price. Why 8x32? Why not 8x42? Nikon 8x42 Action is good value. It has its faults but is sharp and contrasty. Swift Audubon 8.5x44?

The William Optics 8x42 APO is good value, waterproof, small and light, and worth a look. However, only one has thus far been reviewed (by me) and I think you would want to either examine it in person, or wait for more reviews. Burgess Optical appear to do the same item. I believe it is Chinese made.

Leif

Last edited:
The Pentax 8x28 DCF MP model are waterproof, full-muticoated, nitrogen purged, etc roof prism binocs. You can get them for about $215 if you shop around (e.g. Willoughby's has them for $215 - https://www.willoughbys.com/shop/home.asp; a lot of places charge $259, so you should shop around). They got a really good review in the Dec, 2003 issue of BirdWatcher's Digest, in a review that seemed legitimate - i.e. some other binoculars were actually disliked. I got them about a year ago from Willoughby's and they're really fine!

Optricon have been selling an 8x42 Discovery model in the UK - they sound very similar to the Williams that Leif described in his review - so similar in fact that I wondered if the same manufacturer was behind them both.

The discovery model is not on the Opticron website and I can't find much about them on the web, so you may not be able to track it down.

But if you can, they might be worth a look. They're small, about same size as most 8x32s, bright and wide, although not coated as far as I know and so less sharp than the Nikon Sporter to my eyes.

It seems like most are under 100 or over 300. I like the pentax DCF XP 8 X 33 (~$300), the DCF MP 8 x 28 (~$215) and the Leopold Wind River Katmai 8 x 32 (~$300). So I guess my budget may go to $300 now. Any other good 8 x waterproof ones that are light weight? Anyone use BSA? They have a 8 x 32 that has everything but it seems too cheap (~$100) Thanks.

I have done some more research and here are the models I am interested in and the order I like them.

Burris Signature 8x32 $299
Zeiss - 8x30 Diafun Binocular $299
Pentax DCF-XP 8x33 $399
Browning 880832 8 x 32 $289
Bushnell Legend 8x32 $289
Leupold Wind River Katmai 8x32 $309

What does everyone think of Burris? These look great and light 16 ozs, Zeiss are great but want at least 32 objectives, Pentax look great but a little too expensive for me, Browning and Bushnells are heavy (24 ozs) but everything else looks good. Leupold have L coating what ever that is. I have seen some negative reviews online.

Last edited:
I have never used the XPs and as you said they are $100.00 over the limit. I would probably get the Zeiss, though I think the Burris Signature would serve you well. I have always been impressed with what you get out of the Bushnell Legends especially when you consider the price. I think the Brownings are the same bino as the Legends. I have not like the Wind Rivers that I have tried.

ranburr

elkhorn98 said:
Anyone use BSA? They have a 8 x 32 that has everything but it seems too cheap (~$100) Thanks.

Don't waste your money on a BSA if you can get something better. I have a 10x42, and used to have an 8x32. They aren't the best, particuarly not too bright. And this is going to sound pretty weird, but they really smell bad too!
At least both the ones I bought do.

Last edited:
I found a few more models in my research. Anyone know anything about these?

Celestron Noble 8 x 32 $249
Alpen Apex 8 x 32 Waterproof $322
Brunton Echo 8x32 $229

Right now I am leaning toward the burris signature 8x32 $267

Last edited:
Elkhorn,

The first rule is to make sure you try them before you buy them. The second rule is to follow the first rule. ;)

Elkcub

elkcub said:
Elkhorn,

The first rule is to make sure you try them before you buy them. The second rule is to follow the first rule. ;)

Elkcub

Yes, but if you are far from a place where you can try a selection, give the Mirakel site a try which elkcub mentioned earlier. I got a pair of porros from them probably close to 35 years ago, and I am still very pleased with them. At the time, they offered a special option to exchange the center rod for a bit closer focus. That proved to be a high quality job at a low price. Sure, these porros have since been demoted to back-up duties (mainly because of weight and volume), but they are still a pleasure to look through. And the good thing with Mirakel is that they check every pair! No wonder the company is in its 82nd year!

Last edited:
Burris Signature 8x32 $299- I have limited experience with them. They did not seem to provide quite as good of a view optically as some of the other models. It has been some time since I tried them so I have a hard time remembering what, particularly, about the view I found unappealing.

Zeiss - 8x30 Diafun Binocular $299- Very good optics for the price though the overall body style and the eyecup design may not appeal to some folks.

Pentax DCF-XP 8x33 $399- Very good optics and very compact size for an "8x3-" model. Downside is the field of view is only 6.3 degrees..significantly less than the next two.

Browning 880832 8 x 32 $289- A rebadged Bushnell Legend with more traditional styling.

Bushnell Legend 8x32 $289- Very good optics for the price. Wide field of view at about 7.5 degrees (396 ft at 1000 yards). They and the Brownings are a bit longer and heavier than either the WR Katmai and/or the Pentax DCF-XP.

Leupold Wind River Katmai 8x32 $309- Good optics but not in the same class as the Legend or Pentax. Very compact and reasonably lightweight.

Ofcourse, this is all just my opinion.

elkhorn98 said:

New models, Bushnell Excursion 8x42 around $170, and the Pentax DCF HS 8x36 around $160. Can be found at the ever popular optics4birding.com. There seems to be an acute lack of 8x32s in this price range.

elkhorn98 said:
I have done some more research and here are the models I am interested in and the order I like them.

Burris Signature 8x32 $299
Zeiss - 8x30 Diafun Binocular $299
Pentax DCF-XP 8x33 $399
Browning 880832 8 x 32 $289
Bushnell Legend 8x32 $289
Leupold Wind River Katmai 8x32 $309

What does everyone think of Burris? These look great and light 16 ozs, Zeiss are great but want at least 32 objectives, Pentax look great but a little too expensive for me, Browning and Bushnells are heavy (24 ozs) but everything else looks good. Leupold have L coating what ever that is. I have seen some negative reviews online.

That Browing 8X32 is one I mentioned before. One day, at Cabela's, that bin drew more attention than any other in its class. The nice thing about talking to the smarter optics folks at a place like Cabela's is that they USE bins all day long. You learn a lot when someone says "These give me headaches, these never do, these I like, and these I love." When there's $5000 of optical power sitting on the counter, it's easy to discover the subtle differences among bins.

John

John,

I talked to some of those same folks at Cabelas. I asked them about the Brownings. They felt they were good optics for the price but that they weren't moving as much as the others because of the name. Browning, apparently, isn't as synonymous with quality optics as some of the others that they have available at the counter.

Just out of curiousity, do you remember seeing a slight blue/green tinge to the image when you looked through them?

FrankD said:
John,

I talked to some of those same folks at Cabelas. I asked them about the Brownings. They felt they were good optics for the price but that they weren't moving as much as the others because of the name. Browning, apparently, isn't as synonymous with quality optics as some of the others that they have available at the counter.

Just out of curiousity, do you remember seeing a slight blue/green tinge to the image when you looked through them?

Frank,

I didn't look at the bin for a very long time, so I don't remember seeing any specific color cast. I'll take a closer look at them the next time I'm there. FWIW, it's available online for $259.00

I loved the knurling!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back