• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

Looking like they've just wandered out of the local farmyard, but these may be 'Feral' Goats. They were out wandering on The Burren yesterday. I get to visit the area briefly after working nearby, a few times a year - although it's the first time I've met the goats.

Good to see quite a few Grayling also. Phil

Attachments

• Goatsemail.JPG
    Goatsemail.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Graylingemail.JPG
    Graylingemail.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 50
Bit of help please?
I've just bought a tiny bit of land adjacent to my garden but it's well wooded with around 15 mature trees, Scot's Pine, Ash, Sycamore, Birch, Bay Willow and some lovely Hazel which was coppiced but not for about 20 years. Sadly it's infested with Laurel so I've got to get most of that out. Anyway, two things, firstly I have a large unused telegraph pole. I tested it for stability and it immediately fell over. It's completely hollow inside so I thought I might drill loads of holes for mice and then partially bury it. What do you think and what diameter holes? We do have plenty of Wood Mice and Bank Voles and occasional Field Voles and House Mice. Brown Rat too obviously but some neighbours aren't impressed so we cage trap these and release them in the local forest.
Finally and sorry to bore you all, there is a very slight possibility that Polecats may visit. Over the years I've probably seen 10 road casualties within a two mile radius with three or four live road crossers. It's sort of mature gardens with a bit of woodland on the side of a hill adjacent to a forest so not the worst habitat. Anything I can do to attract them. Obviously I'll be camera trapping when the work is complete. Thanks
Luv from Dave

Bit of help please?
I've just bought a tiny bit of land adjacent to my garden but it's well wooded with around 15 mature trees, Scot's Pine, Ash, Sycamore, Birch, Bay Willow and some lovely Hazel which was coppiced but not for about 20 years. Sadly it's infested with Laurel so I've got to get most of that out. Anyway, two things, firstly I have a large unused telegraph pole. I tested it for stability and it immediately fell over. It's completely hollow inside so I thought I might drill loads of holes for mice and then partially bury it. What do you think and what diameter holes? We do have plenty of Wood Mice and Bank Voles and occasional Field Voles and House Mice. Brown Rat too obviously but some neighbours aren't impressed so we cage trap these and release them in the local forest.
Finally and sorry to bore you all, there is a very slight possibility that Polecats may visit. Over the years I've probably seen 10 road casualties within a two mile radius with three or four live road crossers. It's sort of mature gardens with a bit of woodland on the side of a hill adjacent to a forest so not the worst habitat. Anything I can do to attract them. Obviously I'll be camera trapping when the work is complete. Thanks
Luv from Dave

I agree with drilling the telegraph pole, I suggest holes 3/4 to 1 inch, no more ( but defer to suggestions from those more experienced). I also think it would be good if it was partly off the ground - between two low ridges say - as it might then be used as a pathway and camera trapping the pole itself might pay dividends.

Let me know when you have a Polecat habitually using the pole....

Good luck,

John

Nobody seems to have answered Crazyfingers post #114 with the swimming mammal.
It's a Beaver. Rough coat and ears set well back on the head. Shame we cannot see the muzzle.

Looks like folks post their own on here so here is one of mine. Too cute.

Attachments

• scotland 2015 769b.JPG
    scotland 2015 769b.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 39
Nobody seems to have answered Crazyfingers post #114 with the swimming mammal.
It's a Beaver. Rough coat and ears set well back on the head. Shame we cannot see the muzzle.

Looks like folks post their own on here so here is one of mine. Too cute.

Very cute Marten.

Crazyfingers' picture was dealt with in the Mammals section of BF. It is unmistakably a Muskrat. You can see the vertically flattened tail, it lacks the broad bulk and gingery tones of Beaver (Muskrat also has a rough coat) and the head is too small, relatively big-eyed and not blocky enough.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I just could not see a reply here. Muskrat. Never occurred to me.
That Pine Marten actually came and put her paws on my knee and made eye contact. I am still in shock! And pain from twisting round under the bench that I was sitting on to get the shot.

Thanks John, I just could not see a reply here. Muskrat. Never occurred to me.
That Pine Marten actually came and put her paws on my knee and made eye contact. I am still in shock! And pain from twisting round under the bench that I was sitting on to get the shot.

Crikey! That is some experience and some site. I assume it is actually American Marten and not our own Pine Marten? Its a lot less yellowy than the ones I've seen.

Cheers

John

Crikey! That is some experience and some site. I assume it is actually American Marten and not our own Pine Marten? Its a lot less yellowy than the ones I've seen.>
It was an experience indeed. One I was certainly not expecting when sitting outside in the sun at 3pm overlooking the Sound of Mull. I think it was a kitten. It was with us for maybe 15 mins and lay under my car before leaving. So as you will no doubt have worked out this was 'one of ours'.

Attachments

• scotland 2015 775.JPG
    scotland 2015 775.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 59
Crikey! That is some experience and some site. I assume it is actually American Marten and not our own Pine Marten? Its a lot less yellowy than the ones I've seen.>
It was an experience indeed. One I was certainly not expecting when sitting outside in the sun at 3pm overlooking the Sound of Mull. I think it was a kitten. It was with us for maybe 15 mins and lay under my car before leaving. So as you will no doubt have worked out this was 'one of ours'.

Goodness gracious me!

John

Just a quick catch up

I spent a weekend in Devon catching up with the edible dormice on the way, no photos torrential rain stopped play. But Hazel dormice had better weather and some wood mice to contend with. Exmoor ponies, red deer, grey squirrel and rabbits on Exmoor and some dodgy Feral goats in Cheddar Gorge.
No sign of the Devon beavers but American mink put in a brief appearance and a badger on the way home.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_3909.jpg
    DSC_3909.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_3868.jpg
    DSC_3868.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC8680.JPG
    _DSC8680.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_3965.JPG
    DSC_3965.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 39
Tried Arundel castle moat for Water Vole this evening. I dipped, but locals assured me they see them regularly and there were signs that they are still about - maintained holes, cut vegetation and so on.

From there I went to a private site to watch Barbastelles emerging from a regular roost using a nightscope and bat detector. I only had eight but the tree is still in use, which is nice. When I got back to the car park a Noctule came across banging like Cozy Powell, I didn't see it but it must have been really close. A couple of Soprano Pipistrelles, a Wood Mouse and some Rabbits finished the evening off.

John

I would love to see Glis Glis, indeed any Dormouse.
Can I do a trade in?

Attachments

• New_1_070.JPG
    New_1_070.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 36
  • New_1_27th April 321.JPG
    New_1_27th April 321.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 36
I would love to see Glis Glis, indeed any Dormouse.
Can I do a trade in?

Come down and we'll sort it out for you. They are not difficult. Great wallaby pix!

On Sunday my brother is coming back from his two week holiday with his in-laws in Finland. I know he got Saimaa Seal point blank, which is bad enough, but he is being evasive about what he got with two camera traps (mine and his new one), so I suspect I'm about to get gripped quite hard....

John

Bat trapping with the Surrey Bat Group as part of the Nathusius's Pipistrelle survey last night, somewhere along the Thames (all right, it was off Magna Carta Lane.)

The usual early night rush of Soprano Pipistrelles was succeeded by a long fallow period (any fallow period feels long when you are sitting in the dark being eaten by mosquitos) then more Sopranos and a couple of Daubenton's Bats. We were occasionally serenaded by a couple of Egyptian Geese roosting on the far side of the river, and the peeps of Mandarins with insomnia.

Finally, and by no means a given on these surveys, our target species clanged into the harp strings and slid down into the trap. A male Nathusius's Pipistrelle - woo hoo! Our bat experts were disappointed it wasn't a female. I was ecstatic because it was a year-tick! I took a few photos and tried to nail it on launch, but at that time of night my reactions were shot so only the in-hand pictures worked.

Walking back to the cars, one of the group found a Hedgehog trundling about near a very short boardwalk. It promptly scuttled underneath out of sight but a patient wait in the dark resulted in views with nightscope before it once again retreated under its human-provided lair. No photos but a very satisfying sighting of an animal that used to be an annual gimme.

Even the motorways, ignoring for a second the frustrating 50mph "temporary" limit that's been there for months and will probably persist for years, provided a quick and easy journey home.

John

I settled for a foray to check on our wild Goats but just found a few in the long grass. Took a few record shots and one of our distinctly dodgy looking sheep for good measure.

Attachments

• DSCF0720b.JPG
    DSCF0720b.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0736b.JPG
    DSCF0736b.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 33
Walking back to the cars, one of the group found a Hedgehog trundling about near a very short boardwalk. It promptly scuttled underneath out of sight but a patient wait in the dark resulted in views with nightscope before it once again retreated under its human-provided lair.

John[/QUOTE]

It must have known who was coming along! ;-)

Walking back to the cars, one of the group found a Hedgehog trundling about near a very short boardwalk. It promptly scuttled underneath out of sight but a patient wait in the dark resulted in views with nightscope before it once again retreated under its human-provided lair.

John

It must have known who was coming along! ;-)[/QUOTE]

I dunno, you tread on one Hedgehog in your whole life..... ;)

John

It was my birthday last week so I took the day off and finally went on the boat trip to see the Blakney point seals. Nice close views and even a common seal pup on show and I enjoyed the trip despite being on water for an hour. Mostly common seals at this time of year but a few grey seals kicking around.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_4469.JPG
    DSC_4469.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4306.JPG
    DSC_4306.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_4322.JPG
    DSC_4322.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4383.JPG
    DSC_4383.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_4385.JPG
    DSC_4385.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back