• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Heath (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lawson

I've had to have a few of these!
Hello,

As I'm going to North-west Wales tomorrow I would like to try for Large Heath either in Wales or Whixall Moss on the way back. Does anyone know if they are out yet and if so where please?

Many thanks,
Marcus

Hello Marcus,

Usually the last week in June is the beginning of the Large Heath 'Season' but with the very late spring and cool summer I doubt if there will me many out before the second week in July. It's been a terrible year for Lepidoptera so far and I can't see it improving. Large Heath do however have a survival strategy, larvae who know that they won't make it to the adult stage will over winter as larvae for another year and have been known to overwinter a third year. It's an admirable strategy which helps the species survive.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back