• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quintet 7 x 50 (1 Viewer)

Clipper

Hi I just joined the forum to share these Japanese 7 x 50 binoculars branded "QUINTET".

They were bought new by my late father in about 1970 and have spent most of their life in the back of a cupboard, where I recently found them. Consequently, they are just about mint.

Optics are excellent. Maybe I'm not the most discerning judge but the only better ones I've used were a friend's very expensive Zeiss.

Worst features are not the binoculars themselves - cheap leatherette case, leatherette strap, and the orange plastic dust caps which don't grip.

Has anyone ever heard of Quintet? I can find no trace on the internet.

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

Close-ups
DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

Anyone know how to enable IMG tags?

:hi:

Hi Clipper,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

What is the printing on the cap on the front of the hinge?

Bob

Last edited:
They are in excellent shape. There should be a makers code stamped in to the frame some where. Will give you an idea of who actually made them.

I think a JB code is the manufacturer of the binocular, JE is the code used by the company that made the chassis

http://home.europa.com/~telscope/jbcode.txt

Last edited:
Hi all, thank you for your interest.

The end cap is embossed "JAPAN".

The two arms either side of the end cap are stamped :
  • "J-B257"
  • "J-B69"

The quality control sticker reads, "PASSED, JAPAN TELESCOPES INSPECTION INSTITUTE"

The case also has a quality control sticker which reads, "PASSED, E.G.M.C.J."

Frank Nipole is Charles Frank, Glasgow.

Binastro,

The "Nip" of "Frank Nipole" seems to be a strong clue that products so branded were Japanese.

From what I've read elsewhere in this forum, Charles Frank was a reseller, not a manufacturer, and one of his suppliers was Kyoshi Optical, whose products were branded "Frank Nipole" for him.

Clipper, correct.

They made astro telescopes and sold enormous quantities of ex WD optics etc.
I was recently in touch with the telescope designer, from the 1960s. I had the first classic 8.5 inch f/6.

H.W English, Essex and Proops and others in Tottenham Court Road, Brunnings and also Baker in Holborn and S. London, Youngs, Marston and Heard?? etc. were other large ex WD supppliers.

At one time you could buy a Spitfire for £10. I think sans machine guns.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back