• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One year later in wildlife (1 Viewer)

Pedroinspain

Since this is my first post on this topic, a short intro. Raised in South Africa and as a geologist I worked in the 'bush'. I only became interested in birds at a relatively late stage. Regarding art, I started in Spain about 5 years ago (after retirement) doing water-colours, mostly Spanish towns and historic buildings. I became disillusioned; my works were lacking contrast; mistakes in 'managing' white were frequent; I soon hit a wall after a trail of mediocre productions.

After a lengthy break I returned about a year ago, this time using acrylics, initially in a 'watercolour style'. My return had been inspired by a trip to India and the 'colourful' rural people. With a modicum of success in this I decided to take the plunge and search for a tutor because I suspected that another 'wall' was looming. I found one - with a bit of luck - sitting at a lunch terrace in a back alley of a small coastal Costa Brava town I looked across the way ... and there was her studio!! She proved to be tough but fair. My first subject was a barn owl hunting above reed beds. It was O.K., but still a bit flat.

She shook her head. "You follow your model picture too rigidly. Use imagination. How can you make the bird leap?" I tried some adjustments. "Too little .... still weak, and the light source is not always consistent!!". Phew, this was tough, and so was she, with no signs of cutting me any slack. I skipped a few weeks and then plucked up the courage to radically alter the product --- exaggerated tones and contrast. "Si .... ahora, si". I purred. Here is the product, still not perfect - that exaggerated russet flank needs toning down, the pendulum had swung too far - but I was finally properly motivated.

Attachments

• Barn owl hunting.jpg
    Barn owl hunting.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Very nice detail in the owl. I took up acrylics a few years ago and really like it too but I need a lot to work on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back