• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Keep em peeled if you're in the field! - 4 Common Cranes over Ripple pits, south Worcestershire about half an hour ago (per Brian Stretch)

While the Black Terns were at the Moors i was at the flashes. - luck of the draw, but that's birding for you-. Anyway here's my morning. Reed Warbler singing by hen pool hide with another singing further away. 9 Avocet, 6 LRP, 1 Shellduck, small flock of 5 Linnit, 1 Stock Dove, could only pick up on 3 Lapwing, a pair of Gadwall, 2 LBB Gulls joined briefly later by a 2nd winter and also a bird in juv plumage, a Common Sandpiper appeared in front of the hide at 08:45 and lingered at various parts of the 2nd flash before i was distracted and didn't see it again. Good numbers of Blackcap but couldn't manage to pick out L/C Whitethroat

Started at the Moors where I missed the Black terns by a minute. After we shored up the eastern boundary fence. Did some birding from the east hide, then had a walk around the north moors trail.
Species count. GCG 4, Teal 2 fems, Gadwall 5 males, Snipe 3, oystercatcher 4, common sand, common tern 3, kestrel, buzzard c10, hirundine c100 mostly swallow, Reed warblers 5 only a single sedge and no willow warblers today at the Moors. Skylark over, a pair of Raven displayed above the pool.
The pair of LBBG took a coot chick.

At the Flashes
Gadwall pr (7 on the reserve), shelduck male, Avocet 11, lapwing 6, LRP 6, common gull, common tern, reed warbler 3, sedge w 1,
there are now 26 BHG nests (14 on Sunday 22nd)
B :)John

I forgot to add a curlew arrived at the Flashes mid afternoon , this could well have been a migrant rather than one of the local breeders. they only appear at night to roost and are gone at first light

Last edited:
Glen H has photographed Large Red Damselfly at The Warren today.. first odonata record I am aware of here this year...not seen any records anywhere locally either to be honest

nice one mate :t:

here is the flickr pic

Attachments

• largered.jpg
    largered.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
If we don't get passage this week, I will pack up birding8-P
Trust me it will happen :smoke:

Des please find something Tomorrow.

Last edited:
Glen H has photographed Large Red Damselfly at The Warren today.. first odonata record I am aware of here this year...not seen any records anywhere locally either to be honest

nice one mate :t:

here is the flickr pic

Large Red recorded and photographed on the 11th April (not by me).

Des.

Just had text from Nik B at Marsh lane this morning 10 little gulls just dropped, the reason for my post , is that there is linkage between the two sites at migration times. I can't get to the mecca before this afternoon, so hopefully the Wednesday crew will score. ;)

Some big movements today - 1000 Whimbrel at Exminster Marshes, 300 Arctic Terns north through Slimbridge, 120+ Arctic Terns at Cotswold WP.

Surely Upton must see some action?

Some big movements today - 1000 Whimbrel at Exminster Marshes, 300 Arctic Terns north through Slimbridge, 120+ Arctic Terns at Cotswold WP.

Surely Upton must see some action?

200+ Arctic Terns thru Blithfield; Little Gulls at both Blithfield and Belvide; wheres our slice of the action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back