• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (10 Viewers)

Durham Bird Club Field trip

There are still a few places left for the Durham Bird Club's field trip
to

RSPB Leighton Moss on Sunday 25 April.

This trip is now open to anyone, although none members pay a slightly higher price: members £16 per person, none members £18.

Pick ups are:08:00SherburnVillage
08:10Durham Bus Station
08:00 Scotch Corner (if required – parking is very expensive here)
Return is normally between 7-8pm

Previously: Spoonbill, Green-winged Teal, Spotted Redshank,
summer-plumaged Mediterranean Gull
and
500+ summer-plumaged Black-tailed Godwit
were all in attendance.

to book; contact John Todd vie either
[email protected] or 07810-347333

Walk around Kaysburn today. 4 Chiff Chaffs, 3 Willow Warbler. 1 Buzzard 6 Long tailed Tits. Countless Goldfinch and Chaffinch, Blue Tits and my first Whiethroat of the year.

Paul

Amercian Wigeon still at Saltholme west pond today plus a pair of Black-necked Grebes on Back Saltholme and Barnacle Geese x7.

A few more Yellow Wagtail, Swallow and Swift about as well today.

Cettis Warbler by Dormans Pool top car park and a Lesser Whitethroat by lower car park.

Attachments

• IMG_2767a.jpg
    IMG_2767a.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2605a.jpg
    IMG_2605a.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2923b.jpg
    IMG_2923b.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2454a.jpg
    IMG_2454a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2308a.jpg
    IMG_2308a.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 108
Stroll around Croxdale today mainly the usual suspects ie loads of Blue,Great, Long Tailed Tits and Chaffinches. Also 5 Coal Tits as well as 2 Nuthatch, 1 Blackcap, 5 Willow Warbler,4 Chiff Chaff, Pair of Buzzards, 1 Linnet, 1 Meadow Pipit, 10 Swallows, 3 Reed Bunting, 1 Yellowhammer,2 Heron,3 Bullfinch, and a single Greylag going bonkers with a couple of Mallards, also 1 Pied Wagtail and 1 Grey Wagtail

Paul

Last edited:
Hereema Yard in Hartlepool...pair of kestrels were in full courtship mode today...with the male chasing the Herring Gulls from settling anywhere near them, it was quite comical to watch...later he brought back a field vole which he managed to drop, narrowly missing a couple of lads enjoying a tab...also Kittiwake numbers seem to be slightly up on last year...

Left the car at home today and walked round the fields at the back of Bearpark Birds seen: 30+ Willow Warbler, 10 Chiff Chaff, 4 Yellow Hammer, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Wren, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Dipper, 2 Curlew, 20+ Chaffinch,1 Bullfinch,1 Heron,1 Skylark, 1 Reed Bunting,2 Pheasant. 2 Tree Sparrow,3 Dunnock, 2 Whitethroat. 5 Robin, 6 Goldfinch, 6 Blackbird, 4 Collared Dove 20+ Woodpigeon, 2 Song Thrush. 10 Blue Tit, 3 Coal Tit, 3 Long Tailed Tit, 2 Great Tit.30+ Jackdaw,10 Carrion Crow, 1 Jay, 5 Lapwing, 2 Magpie, 6 Swallow, 1 Starling. I reckon in Total 35 Species which although there was nothing outstanding seen a good total for my local fields, assuming the Willow Warblers were just that with no other warblers seen as my Warbler ID is really crap, Watched the dipper for a while often seeing it catching food the flying off with it then returning back to it's fishing spot.
Can anyone with any knowledge of the area though please explain why there are seemingly a lack of Birds of Prey in this area. I have only seen 1 Kestrel in the area all year and I reckon we have at least two breeding pairs of Buzzards either side of this corridor with Kestrels and Sparrow Hawks also where the Buzzards are, it seems strange that there is a lack of them into my immediate area.

Paul

Help,

As a member of both DBC and TBC I would like to visit Dormans pool. But I don't know the exact location. Can anybody please help.

Thanks Steve C

Local Patch 2010

After a day of self-induced frostbite and boredom yesterday at the Riverside watching cricket (and the skies) I was out patch watching again this morning.
Usually when I turn off the road I leave the racket of the passing traffic behind but this morning I walked into a crescendo of what felt like a million Willow Warbler all singing in harmony, not an unpleasant sound of course, but it doesn't half make it harder to hear anything else!
Highlights were three Groppers reeling away all within a 200 metre stretch with a fourth nearby, two Common Sands down in the bowl of the brickworks pool, my first Swift of the year, beating last years first by a massive eleven days, and a very close encounter with a Roe Deer which came bounding towards me before veering off through a gap in the fence less than 25 metres away.
Tried a few likely areas for Ring Ouzel without success but I 'aint given up finding one yet.

A few amateurish pictures from the last few days.

Attachments

• 21042010 030.jpg
    21042010 030.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 21042010 027.jpg
    21042010 027.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 23042010 005.jpg
    23042010 005.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 96
My Weekend:-

Sat - Scafell Pike (Cumbria)
There seemed to be Wheatears on every rock or post, they were everywhere! My first Tree Pipits near one of the Tarns. Also quite a few Pied Wagtails, I was quite surprised at the lack of species in the area.From the car on the way up there I had a great view of a Buzzard sat on a fence post, this is the first time I have seen one perched and was amazed at there sze close up. (I know it's not in Durham but I thought I would share it.)

Sun - Hamsterly Forest
Had great, close views of 2 Jays feeding alongside one of the forest tracks, I have only ever had fleeting glimpses of them in the past. Grey Heron stood in the river. A pair of Grey Wagtails near the small bridge just before the Grove, another first for me! Still no Crossbills though!!

Matt

me! Still no Crossbills though!!

Hi Matt,

Sounds like you had a good weekend. I have found that Kielder Forest is the best place in the North East for Crossbill, if you can wait until next year then go to Kielder in early March and you should get Goshawk and Crossbill if you are fortunate enough. A while back there was a few Crossbill at The Stang in Durham as well. :t:

Lots of Grasshopper Warblers around this weekend with 4-5 at Seaton Common, two at Dormans Pool and three at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.

Seaton Common - am - Wheatear x2, Barnacle Geese x4. Grasshopper Warbler at end of Zinc Works Road.

Dormans Pool area - Wheatear x5, Lesser Whitethroat x1, Common Whitethroat x3, Grasshopper Warbler, Cetti's Warbler singing below top car park and by rusty tank! Stonechat x4, Blackcap & several Sedge and Reed Warbler calling.

Reclamation Pond - Hooded Merganser.

Saltholme west viewed from the layby - American Wigeon & Lesser Whitethroat.

Coatham Stob - this evening Barn Owl x2. A real shame to see a dead deer on the roadside near Longnewton.

Photos: 1.&2. Grasshopper Warbler, 3. Northern Wheatear, 4. Cetti's Warbler, 5. Barn Owl

Attachments

• IMG_6069ao.jpg
    IMG_6069ao.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6260ao.jpg
    IMG_6260ao.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6433aoo.jpg
    IMG_6433aoo.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6444boo.jpg
    IMG_6444boo.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6546aoo.jpg
    IMG_6546aoo.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 121
hi
Lots of Grasshopper Warblers around this weekend with 4-5 at Seaton Common, two at Dormans Pool and three at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park.

Seaton Common - am - Wheatear x2, Barnacle Geese x4. Grasshopper Warbler at end of Zinc Works Road.

Dormans Pool area - Wheatear x5, Lesser Whitethroat x1, Common Whitethroat x3, Grasshopper Warbler, Cetti's Warbler singing below top car park and by rusty tank! Stonechat x4, Blackcap & several Sedge and Reed Warbler calling.

Reclamation Pond - Hooded Merganser.

Saltholme west viewed from the layby - American Wigeon & Lesser Whitethroat.
:t::t:
Coatham Stob - this evening Barn Owl x2. A real shame to see a dead deer on the roadside near Longnewton.

hi ian,how on earth you can get such fantastic shots of a grasshopper warbler ,i canever see them when i'm out only hear them.

hi

hi ian,how on earth you can get such fantastic shots of a grasshopper warbler ,i canever see them when i'm out only hear them.

Lol! It's a first for me as well. Usually they're either too distant or stay right in the middle of bushes. This one was making a circuit of a marshy area but singing from the tops of the reeds. I just sat on the edge of the boardwalk and waited for it to come by. It came within 3m and I began to wonder if it had taken a fancy to the camera shutter noise ;)

Lol! It's a first for me as well. Usually they're either too distant or stay right in the middle of bushes. This one was making a circuit of a marshy area but singing from the tops of the reeds. I just sat on the edge of the boardwalk and waited for it to come by. It came within 3m and I began to wonder if it had taken a fancy to the camera shutter noise ;)

well it was well worth the wait:t:

have been up edmundbuyers four times in the last couple of weeks hoping to catch ring ouzel at their usual spot with no luck. didn't see any up there last year either.

has anybody had any luck with them in this area or have they vacated?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back