• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Birding. (1 Viewer)

My Beddington Farm Sightings 12/08 6am to 5pm

Spotted Crake x1
Greenshank x2
Common Sandpiper x3
Green Sandpiper x12
Snipe x2
Hobby x1

Attachments

• BF Spotted Crake 1.JPG
    BF Spotted Crake 1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 123
Beddington Farm 13 - 17 /08

Spotted Crake not seen in last few days.

Wood Sandpiper x3 have been mobile on the site for four days (found by Johnny Allan). I caught up with x2 today on the Lake thanks to a call from Johnny and a truck dodge and dash down Mile Road!!
Greenshank x2 Regularly seen on 100 Acre.

Green Sandpiper numbers vary each day on Scrape, 100 Acre and main Lake.

Common Sandpipers numbers up to 6 seen over the site.

Snipe appear irregularly on islands on Lake.

Attachments

• BF Wood Sandpiper 1.JPG
    BF Wood Sandpiper 1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 102
  • BF Wood Sandpiper 3.JPG
    BF Wood Sandpiper 3.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Just to ressurect this:

Barred Warbler showed OK at around 4pm this afternoon at East India Dock Basin, in a silver birch along the NE corner of the basin. Apparently only the 2nd record for London.

Barred Warbler still showing today, apparently.

Garganey showing very well at London Wetland Centre, in front of Wildside Hide. Not too much else around, though.

aythya_hybrid said:
Just to ressurect this:

Barred Warbler showed OK at around 4pm this afternoon at East India Dock Basin, in a silver birch along the NE corner of the basin. Apparently only the 2nd record for London.
Presumably that's for "Inner London"? I know there are several other records within the LNHS recording area, which is usually taken as the London list.

dbradnum said:
Presumably that's for "Inner London"? I know there are several other records within the LNHS recording area, which is usually taken as the London list.

I have to confess I have no firm evidence to support this claim, it was just what some other guy there told me.

aythya_hybrid said:
I have to confess I have no firm evidence to support this claim, it was just what some other guy there told me.
Fair play - I've no evidence about whether the basin is actually in the Inner London area, either! ;)

RB SHrike @ Rainham

hi southern-types, I notice this thread is a bit inactive so i'm hoping somebody notices!

i've recently found myself in london which is shock to the system coming from northumberland. i've been wanting to check out rainham marshes and was wondering if the shrike that is currently there is on the reserve?

i noticed it's been reported into the late evening the last couple of days but notice also that the reserve closes at 5.30pm.

also if there are any kind folks who go out around the walthamstow reservoirs/stoke newington area and wouldn't mind me tagging along could you let me know.

i've had a look around part of the reservoirs but could could really do with a local to give me the lo-down on these and any other decent local areas.

also, i have a car if anybody wants to get out but isn't mobile.

cheers

stew

The shrike is along the sea wall in bushes by the entrance to the landfill, not on the reserve itself. If the car park is open you can park in there and follow the signs for (I think) the river path, at some point you will need to climb over the fence to get to the track from which it is best seen. It was showing extremely well last Saturday afternoon when we saw it, quite happy to sit up on bushes.

Hi,

Yes. I saw this bird today....

As mentioned, start walking along the path by the sea-wall and keep going until the path does a 90 deg bend to the right by the entrance to the dump. You can scramble up and over the bank there OK, and the Shrike was seen on bushes by the bank - there are 2 buddleia which it particularly seems to favour.

Also seen today - 1 or possibly 2 Clouded Yellows and a lot of Small Heath butterflies.

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike - Rainham Marshes - 6th September 2007.JPG
    Red-backed Shrike - Rainham Marshes - 6th September 2007.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 97
fence climbing not a problem... i'm a geordie!

lovely picture ruby.

thanks for the replies. got down to rainham around 4ish today and it it was still showing well intermittently when i left at 6.

also whinchat on the path and little egret on the reserve.

Glad you got it Stew....

Interesting that you should see a Whinchat - when I was walking back, I saw a bird flick down from a bush.... it was at a fair distance and only a glimpse, but my first thought was 'Whinchat'.

I gave it a couple of minutes and didn't see it again, but it could well have been the same bird I reckon.....

Here's another photo - for some reason pics of this bird seem to react particularly badly to being chopped to 800*600...maybe this one will stand up to it a bit better than the previous one...

Attachments

• Red-backed Shrike2.JPG
    Red-backed Shrike2.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 98
Hi Ruby,

I nearly trod on the whinchat, not sure who was more startled! it was on the top path about 50 yards down from where the shrike is. It flew over the road to the reserve and into the bushes in field by the firing range. it was a female or juvenile.

While I was watching the shrike a huge cargo ship sailed seawards, it would have made an excellent photo.

The area looks like it should be a good migrant spot and the river looks promising too, just a pity it took nearly an hour and a half to get there from Stoke Newington!

Dear all,
I was wondering what Hampstead is like for birding and if there is a particular good route to take around it to encompass it all (does Hampstead come into the London birding thread?- I'm from the NE myself and always have trouble working out what's London, Greater London and south of Darlington). In addition, should I add my spots on the Welsh Harp to this thread? That's sort of becoming my local patch and I'm unsure where to add it.
Thanks,
SPF

Dear all,
I was wondering what Hampstead is like for birding and if there is a particular good route to take around it to encompass it all (does Hampstead come into the London birding thread?- I'm from the NE myself and always have trouble working out what's London, Greater London and south of Darlington). In addition, should I add my spots on the Welsh Harp to this thread? That's sort of becoming my local patch and I'm unsure where to add it.
Thanks,
SPF

As far as the London Bird report is concerned, 'London' is everything within 20 miles of St Paul's Cathedral, so Hampstead Heath and Brent Res are well within that boundary (and so is virtually all of the M25 I think). It would be nice to see this thread come to life a bit.........

I could/should be goiing up to rainham to marshes next saturday.
Am i likely to see much in the way of short eared owls, dark legged pipits or winter grebes?
thanks in advance.

I was wondering what Hampstead is like for birding and if there is a particular good route to take around it to encompass it all

It's famous for being Bill Oddie's local patch, and he seems to like it there. The book "Where to watch birds in the London area" covers it pretty thoroughly, although it's a few years old now.

edit:
It would be nice to see this thread come to life a bit.........

I agree!

Last edited:
Hampstead 9am. Overcast until I got of the bus and then, typically, it started to rain.

Grey heron, starlings, dunnock, robin, blackbirds, flocks of tits in the trees (great, blue, great, long-tailed, willow or marsh (unable to make a clear identification due to light)), chaffinch, house sparrow, magpie, carrion crow, jay (only one- out of interest, has anyone seen jays flock together or are they solitary? You see magpies, crows, jackdaws, rooks etc together), song thrush, wren, cormorants, tufted ducks, coots, moorhen, black-headed gulls, Canada geese, mute swans (which some fully grown juveniles but with identical to adults but with grey beaks), mallards and a pair of ring-necked parakeets (there is also a small community of these around the Welsh harp).

In addition, amongst the pigeons, they was a white and black one (I’d have said a type of pigeon/dove) which deep red tissue around the beak and eye, similar appearance to what is seem on a turkey but no where near as pronounced.

It's famous for being Bill Oddie's local patch, and he seems to like it there. The book "Where to watch birds in the London area" covers it pretty thoroughly, although it's a few years old now.

edit:

I agree!

I’ve just ordered it from Play, much appreciated.

Hopefully, if I ever work out how to use my camera properly, I’ll be adding the odd photo for you aid in identification.

I also hope this thread comes to life a bit more. I admit, I see the Durham on and am a tad envious.

Catch you later ,
SPF

Actually I have a question related to "Where to watch birds...": what do people think about the red-crested pochards at Pen Ponds in Richmond Park? I was delighted when I first saw them, only to be told sniffily by WTWB that their "origins are generally treated with suspicion". Given that the book is now 10 years old and that as far as I know RCPs live for 7-8 years, should they still be treated with suspicion?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back