• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (1 Viewer)

Red Deer

The northern Broads herd of some 30 red deer, containing an impressive looking stag, west of Sea Palling church yesterday (Sat 9 Feb), afternoon.

Excellent views of an otter in Thetford today down to a few feet but sadly I didn't have my camera with me. However, I did manage the attached photo with my phone without using a zoom (photo is uncropped!).

Chris

Attachments

• Otter 13.3.13 - Copy.jpg
    Otter 13.3.13 - Copy.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 161
Just got back from the thetford otters. Both animals on show for over an hour. Showed down to about a metre at one point. U are unlikely to ever better views of these stunning animals. ;)

James. The river around the centre is good. Wander about and they will find you before you find them.;-) Good luck although you are unlikely to need it.

IMarks Hows shots put mine to shame. Just had a discussion with a Norfolk birder about news going out on these otters. Checking the net today info already in the public domain. There are going to be those wishing to harm these otters, but they are unlikely to be birders. Fifteen plus people watched from the bridge yesterday. The otters were unfazed by people. No doubt a more people will go this weekend although numbers will drop back pretty quickly. Can not see any reason for keeping secret otters showing from a footpath in a town centre.

I think we should be cautious about how much information is put in the public domain with regards to the Thetford otters. Yes, they are frequently seen from public footpaths in the town centre and many locals are aware of them. However, I have been told by a Thetford resident (and work colleague) that 2 families of otters have been stoned to death over the past few years. I can't verify this beyond their word but I feel this must advise caution. I feel what has been written on this thread thus far is fine as the comments are general ("try the rivers in the town centre") but please save any further specifics for pm's.

Just to prove how reliable these otters are, I popped down before work and saw one, popped along during my lunch break and saw another (or the same) and then popped along after work when I saw one again - 3 sightings in no more than an hour on site in total! The second time I wasn't going to stop but actually saw the otter in the middle of the river as I drove over the bridge!!!!

Good luck to those that go.

Great views of the Otters today, although a tad frustrating at times.
Had the female feeding on the opposite bank to me and a small human child threw a large stick in its direction which seemed to spook her, as it would me.
Eventually tracked both Otters down, photos on my flickr and a video.
Every Thetford resident I bumped into was aware of their being there and more than happy to share info of where is best to see them.
Even met a woman who attributed the loss of her fish to otters(perhaps the one in the article?) who was more than happy to see them, although maybe she would be less kind towards them in private.
Overall a great day with kingfisher and the dipper too in its new location.
O.R

Hi Chris. Those planning to stone otters to death are unlikely to get there information from birdforum. I believe the Norfolk otter culling group are found on another site! Any wild animal that loses its fear of humans will be at risk from a sad minority. Otters will be No exception. Still feel that visiting birdwatchers will do No harm. A busy weekend at ye old Thetford cake shop me suspects!! Regards.

Last edited:
I agree Mark, I just requested that information didn't get more specific, although it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to track them down if they so desired. I heard an additional rumour that one had been kicked to death recently but again that is not confirmed. There are still plenty of residents who are unaware of the otters but I doubt it will remain that way for long!

Any birder wishing to see otter in Thetford need only go to the dipper site where I am sure information will be forthcoming! My second otter yesterday was on the Thet near the dipper and I was able to call over the birders watching the dipper when the otter got out of the river to devour a perch it had caught. As a result there were about a dozen camera's awaiting it's continued journey along the river!

I regularly see an otter along the stretch of river behind the UEA, it also seems not bothered by humans and dogs.

I really hope these animals which have become more tolerant of disturbance aren't punished for it.

I also saw a mink on Earlham marshes the other day, will otters hunt mink?

Al

Attachments

• DSCN5338 (1024x771).jpg
    DSCN5338 (1024x771).jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN5339 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN5339 (1024x768).jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 82
not as exciting as otters but I saw this beast on the river at Buckenham today, popped up had a look at us and then swam off ! I guess that must be 15+ miles as the seal swims form the nearest stretch of sea

Attachments

• IMG_4496a.jpg
    IMG_4496a.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 63
Followed a very showy otter around the rivers of Thetford Town Centre today for just over 2 hours as it entertained the gathered crowds of photographers and locals.

Chris

Attachments

• z - DSCF2315 -.JPG
    z - DSCF2315 -.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Z- DSCF2353.JPG
    Z- DSCF2353.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Z - DSCF2365.JPG
    Z - DSCF2365.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 156
Beautiful sunny weather this morning......but no sign of the otters between 9.30 - 11am at least. Lots of friendly locals who had seen them LOADS of times though! I wish better fortune to all others who will visit.
The dipper showed very well, which was some recompense. But otter would have been a life tick. Better luck next time.

Hello all,

I'm part of the Springwatch team and a member of the public recently got in touch with us and told us about the Thetford otters. He also directed us to this forum. I'm very keen to know a bit more about the otters and to talk to someone who has been observing them for while. Would any of you know how long they have been around and whether it's a mother and cub? Please pm me your contact details if you would be happy to answer my questions.
Thank you very much!

The BBC Springwatch team.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back