• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this trio of scavengers in Hudson Valley NY (1 Viewer)

JohnBuckLINY

Seen today, 25 October. They were eating roadkill in upper Westchester County, and the red beaks with the unique shape was quite unique.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 94
Hi and welcome to Bird Forum.

The left-hand bird on the floor is a Black Vulture (all black head and bill), the other two are Turkey Vulture (red head with light coloured bill).

Cheers

Hi and welcome to Bird Forum.

The left-hand bird on the floor is a Black Vulture (all black head and bill), the other two are Turkey Vulture (red head with light coloured bill).

Cheers

Yep, agree; also note the Black Vulture is smaller and with a different shape (important, as juvenile Turkey Vultures also have a blackish head and bill)

Hi John

The larger ones are indeed Turkey Vultures. The smaller one appears to be a Crow but I might be wrong on that one.

A warm welcome to you from a former New Yorker and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hi John

The larger ones are indeed Turkey Vultures. The smaller one appears to be a Crow but I might be wrong on that one.

A warm welcome to you from a former New Yorker and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

I think the smaller one is a Black Vulture, legs too long for Crow.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back