• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missing Hummers (1 Viewer)

Jaxs

I have had two familys of hummers visiting my feeder since around May 9th, about 10 days ago they stopped coming. The night before it was cool in the low 40s F, others in the area have had the same thing happen. I use 3 parts water 1 part surgar. Any ideas?

Your solution is fine - are there many real flowers around. Probably they've got hatchlings and are busy catching bugs for them. Bet they'll be back - I think mine are gone and then I see one - can't watch the feeder 24/7!! Is your avatar a thrasher? I just saw one today and posted a couple quick photos on another thread. Welcome to Birdforum!

amasara said:
Your solution is fine - are there many real flowers around. Probably they've got hatchlings and are busy catching bugs for them. Bet they'll be back - I think mine are gone and then I see one - can't watch the feeder 24/7!! Is your avatar a thrasher? I just saw one today and posted a couple quick photos on another thread. Welcome to Birdforum!
Yes it is I have a pair nesting in a bush next to my house. Their a fun bird. Thanks for the Welcome

Is the ratio of sugar to water for the hummers 3 to 1 or 4parts water to 1 part sugar? I have always used the 4 to 1 recipe.....maybe I should make it sweeter? Everyone seems to eat/drink o.k.....but I don't want to shortchange anyone! :eek:)

My daughter was told by a bird shop employee that putting red food coloring in the solution leads to hummer eggs that have thinner shells.....anyone else heard of that? I have always put the color in....somehow clear sugar water just looks 'wrong'! Now, I KNOW that the birds probably don't mind whether it is clear or red, but I don't want to do anything that would result in damage to the hummingbirds either.

Marianna, I don't know about the red dye contributing to thinner shells, but the only obvious thing it does is change the color. Why add anything you don't need to -- and nectar doesn't need to be red. If there is red on the feeder, that's all the color you need.

marianna said:
Is the ratio of sugar to water for the hummers 3 to 1 or 4parts water to 1 part sugar? I have always used the 4 to 1 recipe.....maybe I should make it sweeter? Everyone seems to eat/drink o.k.....but I don't want to shortchange anyone! :eek:)

My daughter was told by a bird shop employee that putting red food coloring in the solution leads to hummer eggs that have thinner shells.....anyone else heard of that? I have always put the color in....somehow clear sugar water just looks 'wrong'! Now, I KNOW that the birds probably don't mind whether it is clear or red, but I don't want to do anything that would result in damage to the hummingbirds either.
Here is a fabulous site for anyone with questions about hummers:
http://www.hummingbirds.net
I've also heard that red food coloring can lead to tumors in hummingbirds. I just use plain old sugar water, mixed 4:1, just to be safe.

4 parts water with 1 part white table sugar by volume is the standard formula. HummZinger feeders have the formula embossed inside the lid. An older Droll Yankees feeder says 5:1 water to sugar, but that is weak enough that you risk having the birds lose interest in your feeders. Some people have gone as strong as 3:1 to provide increased energy to late-migrating birds caught in a cold-snap, and it has been shown that hummers will choose a higher concentration over a weaker one when competing feeders are placed side-by-side. Stronger than 3:1, the nectar becomes viscous and harder for them to take in, and it's more difficult for them to extract the water. I always use 4:1, and the banding project that I help with uses 4:1 at all times on all feeders at all banding sites.

Curtis Croulet said:
4 parts water with 1 part white table sugar by volume is the standard formula. HummZinger feeders have the formula embossed inside the lid. An older Droll Yankees feeder says 5:1 water to sugar, but that is weak enough that you risk having the birds lose interest in your feeders. Some people have gone as strong as 3:1 to provide increased energy to late-migrating birds caught in a cold-snap, and it has been shown that hummers will choose a higher concentration over a weaker one when competing feeders are placed side-by-side. Stronger than 3:1, the nectar becomes viscous and harder for them to take in, and it's more difficult for them to extract the water. I always use 4:1, and the banding project that I help with uses 4:1 at all times on all feeders at all banding sites.
Curtis, you 'look' awfully familiar! From the newsgroup?? Welcome to the Forum!
:bounce:

Thanks, Tammie. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, mainly in the binoculars section. I used to participate in the BirdBuzz forums on BWD's website, but it's taken me some time to warm up to birdforum. The traffic here is rather sparse.

Hi Jaxs and a warm welcome to you from the staff here at BirdForum.net.

I'm still waiting on my juvies to arrive. Last two years, it was on June 18th so don't know what's up with that. I use the recommened 4 parts boiled water to 1 part sugar and I've been keeping the sugar industry in business this last month as I've been changing them every other day due to the heat we've been having.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back